Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

changing rear differential fluid

Old 02-28-2012, 05:58 AM   #1
neilc is on a distinguished road

Name: Neil
neilc's Tacoma Gallery
changing rear differential fluid

just read like 10 pages of changing rear end fluid in my 2009 tacoma sport,dealer wants 70 bucsk a quart(takes2.5 quarts)theirs has the lsd additive already added,after reading posts several different weights and oil types being used. What is a good gear fluid to use but more important because they don't sell the lsd additive where can I get it?
Old 02-28-2012, 06:16 AM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Wait for others to chime in, but I don't think you have the mechanical LSD in yours. The 2005 to 2008 have a mechanical LSD, 2009+ use the brakes to mimic LSD. Does your Owner's manual, or the sticker on your rear differential say that you need the LSD additive?

Regardless, you should be able to pick it up at an auto parts store. Any quality, name brand oil with the proper weight will do, just confirm on the LSD additive.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:17 AM   #3
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brutalguyracing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Wait for others to chime in, but I don't think you have the mechanical LSD in yours. The 2005 to 2008 have a mechanical LSD, 2009+ use the brakes to mimic LSD. Does your Owner's manual, or the sticker on your rear differential say that you need the LSD additive?

Regardless, you should be able to pick it up at an auto parts store. Any quality, name brand oil with the proper weight will do, just confirm on the LSD additive.
this^^^^
Old 02-28-2012, 06:21 AM   #4
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
No additive needed for 09 and up. Any 75w-90 gear oil will work even if it has additive in it already. Lucas non synthetic is recommended but anything works.
Old 02-29-2012, 06:56 AM   #5

neilc's Tacoma Gallery
rear diff oil

ya i didn't see any label on the rear end or in the manual mentioning lsd additive.thanks guys
Old 02-29-2012, 10:18 AM   #6

neilc's Tacoma Gallery
rear diff lsd or not

just came back from auto zone for lucas diff (no sticker on rear end housing) fluid,my manual doesn't mention lsd additive but dealer ran my vin #'s and said I do,now what the f....
Old 02-29-2012, 10:20 AM   #7
GP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

GP3's Tacoma Gallery
You don't have a mechanical LSD unless it was added after you (or original owner) bought it. The factory mechanical LSD was discontinued after the 2008 model year.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:42 AM   #8

neilc's Tacoma Gallery
diff

so i don't need it right
Old 02-29-2012, 10:44 AM   #9
MPG? LOL
sean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
sean266's Tacoma Gallery
I use Royal Purple, no additives needed. <---2009
Old 02-29-2012, 10:48 AM   #10
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilc View Post
so i don't need it right
no LSD additive needed after the 08's since as others have said, the truck has a computer mimic LSD using the brakes. Just standard gear oil is fine.
Old 03-01-2012, 09:19 AM   #11

neilc's Tacoma Gallery
latest and greatest,on lsd additive or not 3 dealrs called 1 says no one says yes after running my vin,other says best way to tell pull fill cap if the fluid is red has lsd additive if not regular diff fluid,go figure
Old 03-01-2012, 09:38 AM   #12
Bishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Bishop2Queens6's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
No additive needed for 09 and up. Any 75w-90 gear oil will work even if it has additive in it already. Lucas non synthetic is recommended but anything works.
^^^This. I have one of the earliest model 2009, bought Sept 2008. There is no way I have a mechanical LSD. The factory didn't screw up an put mechanical LSD in +09 Tacoma's even in the first models of '09.

If some how you go royally screwed over on the year of your truck, as in you were sold an '08 as an '09, then you're gonna need LSD additive. 09+ doesn't need it b/c of the traction control system uses the brakes to mimic the function of a mechanical LSD.

If your 09 has traction control, you have an electronic LSD so therefore no need for additive. Also, it is perfectly fine to run a gear oil with LSD additive already mixed in even though you do not have a mechanical LSD.

Also, don't listen to the dealership. This site is much more informative, honest, and usually, RIGHT. The dealership tried telling me that my weather techs go on top of my carpet floor matts, that the colored headlight bulbs they sell in the parts dept. are H.I.D., and I needed new brakes at 55,000 miles b/c the fluid in the reservoir was a tad low, even though at 50,000 miles, my personal inspection showed I had 60% pads left up front.
Old 03-01-2012, 09:42 AM   #13
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
I repeat!

Quote:
No additive needed for 09 and up trucks. Any 75w-90 gear oil will work even if it has additive in it already. Lucas non synthetic is recommended but anything works.
Old 03-01-2012, 09:44 AM   #14
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brutalguyracing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop2Queens6 View Post
^^^This. I have one of the earliest model 2009, bought Sept 2008. There is no way I have a mechanical LSD. The factory didn't screw up an put mechanical LSD in +09 Tacoma's even in the first models of '09.

If some how you go royally screwed over on the year of your truck, as in you were sold an '08 as an '09, then you're gonna need LSD additive. 09+ doesn't need it b/c of the traction control system uses the brakes to mimic the function of a mechanical LSD.

If your 09 has traction control, you have an electronic LSD so therefore no need for additive. Also, it is perfectly fine to run a gear oil with LSD additive already mixed in even though you do not have a mechanical LSD.

Also, don't listen to the dealership. This site is much more informative, honest, and usually, RIGHT. The dealership tried telling me that my weather techs go on top of my carpet floor matts, that the colored headlight bulbs they sell in the parts dept. are H.I.D., and I needed new brakes at 55,000 miles b/c the fluid in the reservoir was a tad low, even though at 50,000 miles, my personal inspection showed I had 60% pads left up front.
Quote:
I repeat!
agreed......
dealers are stupid
and no additive needed
Old 07-08-2014, 12:27 PM   #15
jackbower6864 is on a distinguished road
Navy: Corpsman
jackbower6864's Tacoma Gallery
this should help clear things up

Hopefully this will help http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LewxaVYNiRk