1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

98 2.7 won't crank!

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Quicktime_GT, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Feb 28, 2012 at 8:08 PM
    Quicktime_GT

Quicktime_GT [OP] Active Member

Member:
    2.5 inch spacers 2 inch blocks rancho shocks
    Hey guys.. just looking for some opinions...

I have a 98 tacoma, 2.7 / 5 speed. 190K.

When I try to start it, all I hear is a click coming from the driver's side fender well along with what sounds like the fuel pump spooling up. All electrical systems seem normal, the truck will roll start and drive fine.

Won't crank with clutch start cancel switch on.

Won't crank with jumper box

Replaced the starter and still all I get is Click.. ( original starter turned out to be good when hooked to a battery)

Tomorrow I plan to check and see if there is any juice coming to the solenoid wire, I'm kind of stumped at this point.

Input/ Advice?

Thanks,
    Neil

2. Feb 28, 2012 at 8:15 PM
    TrdSurgie

TrdSurgie revised

Member:
    Oahu
    Is the starter clicking? Or something else. If it is, try a new battery. Check fuses.

3. Feb 28, 2012 at 8:19 PM
    Quicktime_GT

Member:
    ^ I don't think the starter is clicking. It's some relay in the driver's side fender.

I haven't seen any fuses blown... is there an external starter relay?

4. Feb 28, 2012 at 8:19 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    I believe there is a starter relay in the main fuse/relay box under the hood. Maybe that's what you hear clicking? It could be bad.

Also check all the engine and battery grounds and check the heavy starter cable to the battery. Any loose cables would result in a starter that clicks and won't crank.

When you jump start a vehicle, the jumper cable ends really have to be dug into the battery terminals a bit for good contact. I've had friends who tried to jump a vehicle and failed because they were trying not to gouge their battery cable ends by getting the jumpers on too tight.:eek:

5. Feb 28, 2012 at 8:23 PM
    Quicktime_GT

Member:
    ^ thanks for the quick responses guys!

I really need to fix it soon so I can get to work! I got an 03 Cobra, but we're having some rough weather and I really don't want to get stuck driving it!

6. Feb 28, 2012 at 8:49 PM
    wolftree

wolftree Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4x4 Regular cab automatic trans,
    Rear Leaf TSB, Bilstein 5100s, extra leaf added
    If you have not done so yet, clean both positive and negative battery terminals and clamps. A little corosion can act this way.

7. Feb 28, 2012 at 8:55 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    A quick way to narrow it down is to remove the small wire from the starter, crimp a standard 1/4 inch female spade terminal onto a piece of scrap wire, and push the spade terminal onto the connection where the small wire was connected. If you then touch the other end of that scrap piece of wire to the positive battery terminal, the starter should crank the engine over. If not, you have a battery, starter, or cable issue. If it does crank over, the problem is between the ignition key and the starter (relay, wiring, alarm system, etc.).

If you chose to do this, be aware that the transmission has to be in neutral, and you have to be clear of all moving parts when you touch that wire to the battery. Otherwise, bad things will happen.

Products Discussed in

To Top