Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Torque Wrenches In-LB and Ft-LB

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-01-2012, 11:33 PM   #1
boshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to behold

Name: Tony
boshak's Tacoma Gallery
Torque Wrenches In-LB and Ft-LB

Looking to buy 2 torque wrenches... In-LB and FT-LB. Any recommendations? Search on the forum and google show a lot of negativity toward Craftsman because Sears doesn't replace their torque wrenches.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:03 AM   #2
brs127s has a spectacular aura aboutbrs127s has a spectacular aura aboutbrs127s has a spectacular aura about
brs127s's Tacoma Gallery
I have an older Craftsman Digitorq 3/8" drive that is 5 to 80 ft/lbs. I have had it for 10 years and haven't had any issues with it.

I bought a Precision 1/2" drive that is 50 to 250 ft/lbs. I have had it for about 2 years and haven't had any issues with it.

Both are dead on. I have compared them to the Snap-on's that my buddy uses at the machine shop he works at. The Snap-on's are nice, but for occasional use, I can't justify the cost of the Snap-on's.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:12 AM   #3
I sell fishing and fishing accessories
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
go to ebay, buy a used one. Snap on will recalibrate it if needed. Thats what I did with the one I have at home. Looking to buy a 3/8 drive for work for the smaller stuff, and I plan on doing the same thing.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:13 AM   #4
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Ive never had issues with Craftsman wrenches. AS long as they arent dropped, or abused, they will be fine for a long time. They are rated to hold calibration for at least 5000 torque cycles. Between the 44595 (1/2" 20-150 ft. lbs) and my 31423 (3/8" 25 to 250 in.-lbs) I have all bolts/nuts covered from 2# to 150#'s. The only gripes I have seen about these wrenches is the plastic lock ring. If you know how to use/adjust a torque wrench, I dont see it as being an issue.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:20 AM   #5
Shinty Killer
Gabex35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabex35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabex35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabex35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabex35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabex35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabex35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabex35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabex35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabex35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabex35 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines:
Name: Gabe
Gabex35's Tacoma Gallery
i have two (1/2" & 3/8") craftsman torque wrenches i bought about 5 years ago and they are great.

i do need to find out how i would get them recalibrated once the time comes.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:27 AM   #6
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabex35 View Post
i have two (1/2" & 3/8") craftsman torque wrenches i bought about 5 years ago and they are great.

i do need to find out how i would get them recalibrated once the time comes.
If they havent been dropped, or abused, then they are probably good. You can check them yourself by sticking the socket attachment into a vice, make a mark 12" from the center of the socket attachment, twards the handle. Set the wrench to 30# (for example), and tie a 30# weight to the mark on the handle. See if it trips the clicker.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUD81N_TlS8
Old 03-02-2012, 08:29 AM   #7
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
I like Cornwell's products. I have one of their torque wrenches.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:29 AM   #8
R.O.U.S.
RV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to behold
Army: Veteran - 154th Sig. Bn., USARSO Panama
Name: Paul
RV7Garage's Tacoma Gallery
My Craftsman has been fine so far. I figure, if I can trust it for building an experimental aircraft, then it's fine for my truck too
Old 03-02-2012, 08:33 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
I like Cornwell's products. I have one of their torque wrenches.
Never seen one, but after some google-foo, they look like nice units!
Old 03-02-2012, 08:35 AM   #11
BuckWells is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckWells is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckWells is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckWells is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckWells is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckWells is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckWells is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckWells is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckWells is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckWells is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckWells is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Aaron
BuckWells's Tacoma Gallery
I work at a calibration lab, and test torque wrenches weekly for airline manufacturing companies. I see alot of craftsman wrenches beat to hell and still work well. They need adjusting from time to time, but the guys in the machine shops abuse them regularly. I own a craftsman 0-150 ft lb wrench, and it hasn't let me down yet.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:37 AM   #12
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Never seen one, but after some google-foo, they look like nice units!
I had 2 Crapsman units in the past. One broke the lock ring for the adjustment then the while adjustment handle broke off and the second just broke the adjustment handle. I got tired of dealing with it so I bought a quality unit. I liked Snap On but I hear their stuff is China made now.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:40 AM   #13
tostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
tostidos's Tacoma Gallery
At work we have a 40-200 in-lb snap-on and a 200-i believe 600 in-lb snap on. It very rare to need to go much above 300 in-lb regularly. should get you by in that range. that covers you from 40-600 in-lbs (3.3 ft-lbs-50 ft-lbs)
Old 03-02-2012, 08:42 AM   #14
welcome to the incredibuild
Twistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Twistedfreedom's Tacoma Gallery
I have a snap-on 75-250 1/2 inch I've used it for about 3 years it need to be calibrated its about high 10ftlbs right now but it's never let me down.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:25 AM   #15
boshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to behold

Name: Tony
boshak's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the replies and affirmation. I'll look further into the Craftsman wrenches... Local Sears is closing their doors so hopefully I can find one on clearance.

Products Discussed in this Thread