Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Hidden Garage Door Opener

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-11-2008, 07:22 AM   #1
I am the Sofa King
harshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shed

harshest's Tacoma Gallery
Hidden Garage Door Opener

Here is a pretty simple mod I did for those of us too cheap/poor to buy a Homelite mirror. I have an 05 with the compass so that eliminates the garage door opener holder and since the visor is too thick for the clip I decided to hide it under the dash.

Before we start I am no electrical engineer but figured out how to make this work on my remote. It may not be the best way but the button on the remote works as well as my wired button. I am not sure how similar remotes are but mine is a Genie and is about 3 years old.

I used this momentary ON switch from radio shack but am going to upgrade to this one soon.

First:
I took the remote apart and using an OHM meter figured out what the button on the remote did when it was activated. Once I had that figured out I used some electrical tape to temporarily hold the wires in place while I tested the radio shack button. Once I knew it would work I soldered the wires in place:

Front of remote

Back of remote with wires soldered on

Next
I drilled some holes in the side of the remote housing to let the wires through.

Then
I turned my attention to the radio shack switch. I soldered the wires to the new switch and drilled a hole in one of the blank panels. To get the switch to stay in place I basically filled the back side with hot glue.

Finally
I used a couple of quick disconnects and tucked the remote under the dash board and reinstalled the panel in the dash.

Since I am not very good with a dremel I am going to replace both switched with these. A regular ON/OFF for my amp (on the left) and a Momentary ON for the garage door opener.
Old 12-11-2008, 10:21 AM   #3
lsarg27 is on a distinguished road

lsarg27's Tacoma Gallery
Ok, this mod kicks ass. If you don't have any spaces left in the dash, just drill the switch into the panel under the steering wheel. Check behind before drilling though.
Old 12-11-2008, 10:30 AM   #4
praetor is just really nicepraetor is just really nicepraetor is just really nicepraetor is just really nicepraetor is just really nice

Marines: 0333-Accuracy by Volume
praetor's Tacoma Gallery
Me likey, Small project for this weekend.
Old 12-11-2008, 10:38 AM   #5
Runs with Scissors
Radelix has a spectacular aura aboutRadelix has a spectacular aura about

Radelix's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Radelix
I as well like it and as stated above, just need that garage....now where'd I put it.....

*wanders off*
Old 01-16-2009, 07:03 AM   #7
apkarian100 will become famous soon enoughapkarian100 will become famous soon enough

apkarian100's Tacoma Gallery
Because we are on the subject on hidden garage door openers, I found this cool method on another forum:

High Beam Activated Garage Door Opener:

http://high-intensity.org/forums/showthread.php?t=306
Old 02-07-2009, 06:27 PM   #8
DanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
very nice, now i just need a house
Old 02-27-2009, 05:01 PM   #10
OIF Vet
Liquidity is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Engineer
Liquidity's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the thread. Installed mine yesterday with a momentary rocker switch. It is freaking sweet.
Old 03-10-2009, 07:03 AM   #11
bass turds
Veccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Veccster's Tacoma Gallery
I debated and debated on doing this MOD as I think it's a great idea. I just couldn't get the motivation and found a more simple solution that doesn't look as factory as what Harshest did. Still a good idea. I may pull it off and paint it black.

Used double sided tape
Old 04-27-2009, 01:57 PM   #12
22b22 is a splendid one to behold22b22 is a splendid one to behold22b22 is a splendid one to behold22b22 is a splendid one to behold22b22 is a splendid one to behold22b22 is a splendid one to behold22b22 is a splendid one to behold

22b22's Tacoma Gallery
I was doing a search here to see if anyone had done the mod as I'm thinking about doing it this weekend. Did you check your battery in the remote? Yup - most of them are 12v powered, so you can ditch the cell and wire it direct and forget about it =]

I may just pickup a homelink module from fleabay though and put it in the door or visor. I didn't think about retrofitting one of those modules. Gonna think on it...
Old 01-26-2010, 06:49 PM   #13
nxtruck is on a distinguished road
nxtruck's Tacoma Gallery
I dont have my truck yet, but you may be able to do the same thing I did on my bike. I have a keychain garage remote hidden in my headlight bucket. I soldered the contacts of the switch (so its always on/circuit closed), then spliced into the power and ground of my high beam to power it on (takes 12v battery). This allows me to open my garage door by flashing my brights.
Old 09-19-2010, 02:33 PM   #14
Hey you'll watch this!!!
BigA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigA is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: A
BigA's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to BigA
Sorry no in between pics!!

Hears the end result of mine did pretty much the same thing just put mine in between the map lights
Attached Thumbnails
Hidden Garage Door Opener-p3071742.jpg   Hidden Garage Door Opener-p3071740.jpg  
Old 01-05-2011, 03:17 PM   #15
Goldmember
Skywalker6 is on a distinguished road

Skywalker6's Tacoma Gallery
Garage Door Opener

I wanted to let everyone know that I did this mod on my '11 Sport. I used a dual position momentary rocker switch (Which I had to order off of Amazon because none of the stores I tried had the right switch) so that I could control both of my garage doors. The install was pretty smooth and the rocker switch looks stock. I'm really pleased with the way it came out. Thanks for the awesome idea and the walk-through!

Products Discussed in this Thread