Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

1st oil change and oil filter?

Old 07-14-2007, 08:04 AM   #1
clayj is on a distinguished road
clayj's Tacoma Gallery
1st oil change and oil filter?

finally hit 5000 in my 07 tacoma. took to dealership for oil change and tire rotation and they give me some crap about tires for life program but what they charged me for oil change and tire rotation$75.00 i could buy tires myself and save money i think. and they put synthetic in without letting me know. so ill start changing myself, so should i atleast buy toyota oil filters? thanks
Old 07-14-2007, 08:18 AM   #2
bite me
humanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

humanoid's Tacoma Gallery
What makes you so sure they put synth in? Because they told you they did? I never believe anything the $tealer says.

As for your filters, yeah, OEM filters are a very sound decision since your truck is still under warranty.
Old 07-14-2007, 08:25 AM   #3
clayj's Tacoma Gallery
yes they told me they did, but a dealership never lies. haha
what weight should i use i read where they changed it to 5w20 from 5w30 and my cap says 5w20 and 0w20. i probably just go with mobil synthetic next time.
Old 07-14-2007, 08:29 AM   #4
bite me
humanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Either one weight oil will suffice, but read your owners manual to be certain. 5w and 0w aren't really that different. Mobil 1 would be an excellent choice.
Old 07-14-2007, 08:33 AM   #5
clayj's Tacoma Gallery
thanks for your help
Old 07-14-2007, 11:45 AM   #6
Ultimate Member
SLOTaco is a splendid one to beholdSLOTaco is a splendid one to beholdSLOTaco is a splendid one to beholdSLOTaco is a splendid one to beholdSLOTaco is a splendid one to beholdSLOTaco is a splendid one to beholdSLOTaco is a splendid one to behold

SLOTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Mobil 1 is a great choice. You don't have to use an oem filter while maintaining warranty, but the oem will be a quality filter.
Old 07-24-2007, 11:22 AM   #7
JACKJMP is on a distinguished road
JACKJMP's Tacoma Gallery
I am comming up on my first oil change and what do you think about SYNTHETIC PENNZOIL 5 W 30 ?
Old 07-24-2007, 01:50 PM   #8
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKJMP View Post
I am comming up on my first oil change and what do you think about SYNTHETIC PENNZOIL 5 W 30 ?
i run mobil1, but ive heard good stuff about the new pennzoil platinum. if i can find a deal on it, i may switch to it at my next oil change.
as far as you go, either way, a synthetic will be really good for your truck! also, the k&n and mobil1 filters are also good, as is the oem filter. just dont use a fram filter.......junk! jmo!
Old 07-24-2007, 04:18 PM   #9
sataco is on a distinguished road

Army: Infantry Scout then mechanic
sataco's Tacoma Gallery
just had my first oil change and now my maint reqd light flashes a little while after start up (about 20 seconds) is that normal? i checked the oil level, what kind was put in and the filter and nothing appears wrong. anyone else have this happen?
Old 07-24-2007, 04:30 PM   #10
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

all you need to do is reset the "maintenance required" light. here you go......

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...set-maint-reqd

hope this helps ya!
Old 07-24-2007, 07:17 PM   #11

sataco's Tacoma Gallery
a million thank yous for the quick help it worked out great.
Old 07-24-2007, 07:23 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sataco View Post
a million thank yous for the quick help it worked out great.
glad i could help ya!!
Old 07-24-2007, 07:31 PM   #13

sataco's Tacoma Gallery
after about ten minutes of cleaning and numerous paper towels i discovered
that there is a drain plug under the oil filter housing to empty any oil from the old filter!! i felt like an idiot, good thing no one was around.
Old 07-24-2007, 08:26 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by sataco View Post
after about ten minutes of cleaning and numerous paper towels i discovered
that there is a drain plug under the oil filter housing to empty any oil from the old filter!! i felt like an idiot, good thing no one was around.
yeah, there are alot of people who didnt realize that there was a plug underneath and got oil all over the place. dont feel too bad, at least you didnt do like a buddy of mine and leave the drain plug out and get oil all over your driveway!!

what alot of folks have done is to install a length of clear hose or a quarter inch fuel line from the plug to the bottom of the truck where if any oil comes out, it will be easy for it to go into the drain pan. i havent done it yet, but i may. just a thought.
Old 08-21-2007, 08:49 PM   #15
mugu07taco is on a distinguished road
mugu07taco's Tacoma Gallery
what is this drain plug under the filter everyone speaks of??? Just did my first oil change today and made a mess with the filter. Pics would be nice, I have an 07'.

Thanks, Dave
Old 08-21-2007, 09:00 PM   #16
The TW 1%
ForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Coast Guard: Chief Petty Officer, ITC
Name: Drunken Sailor
ForeRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Have the V6? If so remove the engine cover (2 10mm nuts) and reach under where the oil filter screws on and feel for a little rubber cap. Remove that and put a little cup underneath to catch the oil. Or wait about 24 hours and all the oil will drain out of the filter.
Old 08-22-2007, 02:16 PM   #17

sataco's Tacoma Gallery
if it's like mine it will be under the filter housing like this

i have the V6 jus pull off the black cap and drain the oil from the splash guard.
Old 08-29-2007, 08:59 AM   #18
mugu07taco is on a distinguished road
mugu07taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banshee View Post
Have the V6? If so remove the engine cover (2 10mm nuts) and reach under where the oil filter screws on and feel for a little rubber cap. Remove that and put a little cup underneath to catch the oil. Or wait about 24 hours and all the oil will drain out of the filter.
I have the 4 banger. Don't have 24 hours to wait, I change the oil on base at the auto hobby shop. This plug must be a V6 thing.

Me like pictures.

Thanks, Dave
Old 08-29-2007, 09:07 PM   #19
boxcar is on a distinguished road
boxcar's Tacoma Gallery
plug

Are these plugs common on '01 V6s?
Old 08-29-2007, 11:02 PM   #20
bite me

No plugs on the 1st gen Tacos.