Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

2gen oil filters

Old 07-14-2007, 11:17 AM   #1
geezer is on a distinguished road
geezer's Tacoma Gallery
2gen oil filters

All - After 3 trips to the stealer to get my oil changed, I figured to do it myself, which is my common practice. I went to Napa to get a filter and the one they have listed is a little dinky thing. Now the factory filter and no great shakes for volume itself. I damn sure don't want something smaller. Has anyone shopped or used non Toyota-Denso oil filters? Any luck? Any size? Does any other Toyota motor use the size flange? Thanx....

.......................geezer
Old 07-14-2007, 11:21 AM   #2
bite me
humanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

humanoid's Tacoma Gallery
I would stick with the OEM Toyota filters just because you're still under warranty.
Old 07-14-2007, 12:32 PM   #3
Ultimate Member
SLOTaco is a splendid one to beholdSLOTaco is a splendid one to beholdSLOTaco is a splendid one to beholdSLOTaco is a splendid one to beholdSLOTaco is a splendid one to beholdSLOTaco is a splendid one to beholdSLOTaco is a splendid one to behold

SLOTaco's Tacoma Gallery
You can use an after-market filter without voiding warranty, but the right one should be roughly the same size. Toyota does have a smaller filter that has the same mount and would work, but I would bet napa still got the #'s mixed up. My suggestion is to get a Mobil 1 oil filter or K&N oil filter, or stick with oem, any of those should be roughly the same size as the one on your truck now. If you have the 4.0L or the 2.7L you're k&n part # is HP-1002 both motors take the same filter. This filter is the right size. K&N should be easiest to find, it is what I will be using on my first change in a month or so.
Old 07-22-2007, 08:33 AM   #4
BlueThunder is on a distinguished road
BlueThunder's Tacoma Gallery
AMSOil & Filter

I've been using this brand of oil & filter for years, 88 4Runner, 97 4Runner and my 07 Taco. I do follow Toyota's every 5,000 miles to keep in warrenty but read the ad.

http://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/eao.aspx

P.S. I talked to Toyota Customer Care and you can do your own oil changes. Just keep the reciepts for the oil and filters.