Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Emergency Brake Light won't go out?

Old 12-13-2008, 01:03 PM   #1
Taco Monster
FightFire48 has a spectacular aura aboutFightFire48 has a spectacular aura about

Firefighter: Firefighter/EMT
Name: Will
FightFire48's Tacoma Gallery
Emergency Brake Light won't go out?

My e brake light on my 2004 taco quad cab stays lit when im driving. I thought that it was only doing this in the cold weather but im still having this issue. Does anyone know how resolve this matter?
Old 12-13-2008, 03:46 PM   #2
bite me
humanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

humanoid's Tacoma Gallery
Brake lever or your brake fluid may be low in the brake reservoir. With that said, if your brake fluid is low that means your brakes need to be serviced too.
Old 12-13-2008, 05:09 PM   #3
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
The brake fluid on the first gens needs to be near the "full" line or the light will go on.
Old 12-13-2008, 05:16 PM   #4
bite me
humanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

humanoid's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
The brake fluid on the first gens needs to be near the "full" line or the light will go on.
Actually a little above the full line would be best, at least on my old rig.
Old 12-13-2008, 05:19 PM   #5
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by humanoid View Post
Actually a little above the full line would be best, at least on my old rig.
Could be. I wouldnt over fill it right off the bat, though. Work up until it goes off.
Old 12-13-2008, 05:50 PM   #6
spp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to behold
spp's Tacoma Gallery
Check brake fluid and if that fixes it check the front pads. May be getting time for new ones but not always.
Old 12-13-2008, 06:10 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by spp View Post
Check brake fluid and if that fixes it check the front pads. May be getting time for new ones but not always.
X2.
Old 12-13-2008, 07:18 PM   #8
UnderWater Monopoly Champion
TicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: F-15 Crew-Chief
Name: Anastatia Beaverhausen
TicTacOma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to TicTacOma
Welcome to TW, Grab yourself a hard hat in the lobby. Just some suggestions I stole from other sites. It may help and it may not.

There is a TSB on the emergency brake pedal... The bolt comes loose, and so does the arm assembly.. That may result in the button sensor showing a brake warning light on the instrument panel. When you make a turn, it moves over..

Put it in park, get out of truck with the parking brake released.. Grab the pedal arm (above pedal) and see if it will move from left to right (driver <--> passenger) direction... Should be NO side movement at all.. IF so, tighten it, or go in to get it tightened and that might be tripping your light to...

about: 2004 Toyota Tacoma
Emergency Brake
My emergency brake light comes on and stays on when its cold out, then when the truck warms up it turns off.

This is extremely common on all Toyota trucks. The easiest way to take care of this is go buy a can of PB Blaster at your local auto parts store, lay on the ground under your truck and find the parking brake pivot. If you don't know where it is (should be drivers side about where the cab and bed meet next to the frame rail) have a friend pull the level and release it while you see what's moving. Lube the crap out of the pivot arm adjuster while you or someone else pulls it and releases it. This works 95% of the time. If not, you'll probably need to adjust the shoes in the back but like I said, should be fixed with that $3 can of PB. This is a 5 minute fix at most.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...ake-light.html

One more thing....From what I've read there is a float/bobber in the Master Cylinder that detects fluid level. Even if the fluid is at the correct service level,(visual) that float could still be sticking and not reading correctly. I assume you could pull the cover and GENTLY pull that float up to see if there is any movement upwards.

If all else fails.....Emergency Brake Light won't go out?-tape.jpg
Old 12-20-2008, 08:32 AM   #9
rabble rabble rabble
dud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Humane Officer
Name: Dan
dud122's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to dud122
your parking brake cable might be stretched... that's what was wrong with mine
Old 12-23-2008, 11:48 AM   #10
Taco Monster
FightFire48 has a spectacular aura aboutFightFire48 has a spectacular aura about

Firefighter: Firefighter/EMT
Name: Will
FightFire48's Tacoma Gallery
thanks for all the suggestions and im sure one of them will work its been agonizing for me on my taco.
Old 09-30-2013, 03:40 PM   #11
jkarov is on a distinguished road
Law Enforcement:
Name: Jason
jkarov's Tacoma Gallery
Post Getting the Brake light to go out

I flushed the brake fluid in my non ABS 2001 Tacoma, but forgot, and left ignition on to listen to the radio. Pads and shoes are fine, just old fluid.

When I drained the master cylinder, the light was triggered because the level went down too low. To turn off the light, unplug the sensor on the driver side lower part of the master with the key off.

Turn the ignition on (don't have to start it) then back off.

Next time you turn it on, the light will come on for self test, and then go out when it senses the fluid at proper level.
Old 10-08-2013, 11:16 AM   #12
Time to get dirty!
monoman is a splendid one to beholdmonoman is a splendid one to beholdmonoman is a splendid one to beholdmonoman is a splendid one to beholdmonoman is a splendid one to beholdmonoman is a splendid one to beholdmonoman is a splendid one to behold

Name: Dave
monoman's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up

Wow. Good info. Thanks!
Old 10-17-2014, 08:28 PM   #13
Rubio92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRubio92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRubio92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRubio92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRubio92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRubio92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRubio92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRubio92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRubio92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRubio92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRubio92 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Josh
Rubio92's Tacoma Gallery
I love Google. First hit when I typed in "emergency brake 2004 tacoma engine oil" So my '04's E-brake light would NOT turn off. I topped off the brake resi last night and it went away, obviously came on when the E-brake was applied.