Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

can somebody help?

Old 03-19-2012, 09:30 AM   #1
odomtruck is on a distinguished road
odomtruck's Tacoma Gallery
can somebody help?

My 03 Tacoma manual 4x4 has a bad vibration at speeds over 10mph. Replaced tires and amidships bearing and it got a little better but still shakes everything off my dash. Thinking its a joint problem but I need input before I spend the time and money
Old 03-19-2012, 09:30 AM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like U joints
Old 03-19-2012, 12:24 PM   #3
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Sounds like U joints
If the ujoints were vibrating that bad, he would have noticed it while replacing the bearing. With ujoints that bad, there will be slop in the driveline. Very shortly thereafter, there will be a driveshaft on the ground.

Check the driveshaft for missing weights, and proper phasing. Check your wheel bearings for slop.
Old 03-19-2012, 12:27 PM   #4
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
have you hit your drive shaft on anything? you might have done it without even noticing it, any hard wheeling?

it might need to be re balanced. but just to make sure, you balanced your tired right? didnt just replace them?
Old 03-20-2012, 09:01 AM   #5
odomtruck is on a distinguished road
odomtruck's Tacoma Gallery
Tires were balanced when installed. The truck has beenoff road maybe five times since the dealers lot. My father in law found an off road shop close by that assures me they know the problem. Gonna give them a shot. Will let you know
Old 03-20-2012, 02:20 PM   #6
tan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rick
tan4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by odomtruck View Post
Tires were balanced when installed. The truck has beenoff road maybe five times since the dealers lot. My father in law found an off road shop close by that assures me they know the problem. Gonna give them a shot. Will let you know
One way to rule out (or in) the rear drive shaft, is to remove it.
Then drive over 10mph using just the front axle.