Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

97 Automatic will not shift?

Old 07-16-2007, 10:16 AM   #1
gadrmrboy is on a distinguished road
gadrmrboy's Tacoma Gallery
97 Automatic will not shift?

I have a problem with my 97 tacoma. It seems the shifter (which is on the steering colum) will not shift out of park. The truck cranks fine and the brake lights do not work when you mash the brake pedal. I tried alternating some fuses to see if it was a fuse problem but i didnt even know if i was checking the right fuses. I really need to get the truck up and going. Someone told me it might be a contact switch? I don't know.. Any information would be greatly appreciated!
Old 07-16-2007, 10:40 AM   #2
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
007Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 007Tacoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadrmrboy View Post
I have a problem with my 97 tacoma. It seems the shifter (which is on the steering colum) will not shift out of park. The truck cranks fine and the brake lights do not work when you mash the brake pedal. I tried alternating some fuses to see if it was a fuse problem but i didnt even know if i was checking the right fuses. I really need to get the truck up and going. Someone told me it might be a contact switch? I don't know.. Any information would be greatly appreciated!
Welcome to TW!

My guess - I am almost positive it is your contact switch on the brake pedal. Several years back these switches were made mandatory to prevent someone from going in and out of the PARK position on the tranny while not at a stop. I am not too familiar with Toyota automatics or the 1st gen Tacomas, but since your brake lights are not coming on - that would be my first guess. Even if the brake switch is not the same switch - these switches may not be lining up with the contact bar on the pedal stem.

Good luck!
Old 07-16-2007, 10:20 PM   #3
Carolina Alliance: Warheads On Foreheads Division
MarkC is on a distinguished road

Air Force: AGE (aerospace ground equipment) mechanic
MarkC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007Tacoma View Post

My guess - I am almost positive it is your contact switch on the brake pedal. Several years back these switches were made mandatory to prevent someone from going in and out of the PARK position on the tranny while not at a stop. I am not too familiar with Toyota automatics or the 1st gen Tacomas, but since your brake lights are not coming on - that would be my first guess. Even if the brake switch is not the same switch - these switches may not be lining up with the contact bar on the pedal stem.

Good luck!
go to Auto zone and ask for a neutral saftey switch
Old 07-17-2007, 07:48 AM   #4
is this hard to install?
Old 07-17-2007, 09:17 AM   #5
Carolina Alliance: Warheads On Foreheads Division
MarkC is on a distinguished road

Air Force: AGE (aerospace ground equipment) mechanic
MarkC's Tacoma Gallery
i had to do one on my 78 ford and it wans't hard but i haven't really looked at a Tacoma, it shouldn't be, just some scews and a bracket.
Old 07-19-2007, 05:58 AM   #6
thanks for the help guys, turns out the folks at the local toyota dealership told me the wrong fuse to check for...they told me to check the ones labeled brakes and it was actually the one labeled "stop" under the hood that i should have checked.. I checked the fuse it was blown, replaced it and im up and running again!