Notices

How to Change a CV Axle on an 01-04 ADD Tacoma

Old 03-07-2012, 08:31 AM   #41
Rastamanty is on a distinguished road
Name: Tyler
Rastamanty's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by unitmaster View Post
So I re did the whole installation and the axle has about an 1/8 of an inch of play in and out of the differential. I don't know why this is happening? Does anybody have an idea? Could it be because the cv axle I bought is not a genuine toyota part?
I used a set from O'reilly's called Master Pro for $70, no core charge.
I have about an 1/8 gap from the end of the shaft to the diff housing. But no leakage at all and I didn't reuse any parts from the old OEM set. I would suggest taking a close up picture of the gap and post it.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:35 AM   #42
Rastamanty is on a distinguished road
Name: Tyler
Rastamanty's Tacoma Gallery
So my OEM axles are still good, I just replaced them because of tears in the boots. What should I do with the OEM's? Should I reboot them and have a spare set, or do you think they would sell?
Old 03-07-2012, 08:36 AM   #43
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
You probably cant get much for them with torn boots...every used CV i've bought has been good to go and I don't pay more than $50

With that being said...i'd say reboot them and stick them in the garage in case the new ones fail
Old 03-14-2012, 04:16 PM   #44
RacerP will become famous soon enough
RacerP's Tacoma Gallery
Just did my CV's this weekend with new ones from AutoZone for $58 each no core.

Went very smooth, but, will add this...

In my case, take the spidertrax off, then had to also remove my ICONs, no way in hell I was going to have enough room to get the CV's in or out with the springs in the way.
Old 04-14-2012, 03:02 PM   #45
BigSurTaco is on a distinguished road
Name: Torre
BigSurTaco's Tacoma Gallery
My buddy and i are doing this today and one thing i did notice was that you don't mention anything about removing the swaybar which is nowhere to be seen in ur pics, but with it in the way you can't get the damn thing outta there. Just think you might want to mention that in this write up. although i may have missed something as i'm not too experienced.
Old 04-14-2012, 09:48 PM   #46
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
My sway bar was non existent when I did this write up
Old 04-15-2012, 10:30 AM   #47
BigSurTaco is on a distinguished road
Name: Torre
BigSurTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, I realized that after i wrote the previous post. Might be something good to mention for the newbies like me. Thanks for the write up though. I really appreciate all the pics.
Old 08-02-2012, 07:47 PM   #48
starsandbars is a jewel in the roughstarsandbars is a jewel in the roughstarsandbars is a jewel in the roughstarsandbars is a jewel in the rough
Navy: Radar Spec.
Name: Dan
starsandbars's Tacoma Gallery
so i replaced mine i have a few issues you cans see in my on going post "Please help no 4X4", but i didnt take out my sway bar. just removed the 4 bolts on the bottom.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:19 PM   #49
DblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DblCabMN's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the clear write up! But i should have paid more attention to Step 8:

"Now you’re ready to slide the new CV in. This can also be tricky because you have to line up the splines, but just keep trying and turning it till it slides part of the way in. It will more than likely stop before going all the way in. Using the prybar and rubber mallet, gently tap it all the way into the diff. The c-ring will lock it in once it gets in there good."

Took me a about 10 minutes of getting frustrated before i went back inside and re-read it

Pro-tip, O'Rielly Auto loaned me a 36mm socket for a $10 deposit.
Old 05-04-2013, 02:24 PM   #50
Not all who wander are lost
01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

01GREENTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the write up! I followed and got the job done in no time. (about 1 hr total and I replaced both sides)
Old 05-21-2013, 03:53 PM   #51
kbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
kbauman92's Tacoma Gallery
Just did this today thanks for the write up, took me probably 4 hours total but half the time was looking for a thin enough screw driver to get the dust cover off and had to go buy a 36mm socket for 11$ from napa
Old 06-06-2013, 08:28 PM   #52
Time to get dirty!
monoman is a splendid one to beholdmonoman is a splendid one to beholdmonoman is a splendid one to beholdmonoman is a splendid one to beholdmonoman is a splendid one to beholdmonoman is a splendid one to beholdmonoman is a splendid one to behold

Name: Dave
monoman's Tacoma Gallery
Quick question.
I had my inner boot on the drivers side replaced recently (yes, I was going to attempt the repair but chickened out) & have a slight vibration up front now. (Yes, thats what I get!) Anyways, the guy replaced the inner boot only & being it was torn for only about a week, the cv was fine. I'm not sure if it's the tires needing balancing (which I'm doing tomorrow) or just due to the cv repair that was done. The tires are new & have about 6000 miles on them, so it's probably time for balancing anyways.
So my question is, is an alignment needed after cv joints are done?
Thanks guys
Old 06-06-2013, 09:28 PM   #53
kbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
kbauman92's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by monoman View Post
Quick question.
I had my inner boot on the drivers side replaced recently (yes, I was going to attempt the repair but chickened out) & have a slight vibration up front now. (Yes, thats what I get!) Anyways, the guy replaced the inner boot only & being it was torn for only about a week, the cv was fine. I'm not sure if it's the tires needing balancing (which I'm doing tomorrow) or just due to the cv repair that was done. The tires are new & have about 6000 miles on them, so it's probably time for balancing anyways.
So my question is, is an alignment needed after cv joints are done?
Thanks guys
you shouldnt need one, i just did mine and didnt get a alignment and no vibes, but i do have a leaky seal on the passenger side i picked up both inner and outer seals? i didnt know which one to get so i got both
Old 06-06-2013, 09:56 PM   #54
Time to get dirty!
monoman is a splendid one to beholdmonoman is a splendid one to beholdmonoman is a splendid one to beholdmonoman is a splendid one to beholdmonoman is a splendid one to beholdmonoman is a splendid one to beholdmonoman is a splendid one to behold

monoman's Tacoma Gallery
Ok cool. I'm going to get the tires balanced tomorrow & well see how it rides afterward. Hope that does the trick. The guy at the tire store said it's a good idea to have them balanced at least once a year. It doesn't cost anything anyways.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:38 AM   #55
Time to get dirty!

monoman's Tacoma Gallery
**update on the vibration.

So I took my truck in to get the wheels balenced & had them check the front end alignment. It was off, especially the left side so I had them align it. Drives real nice now! I'm happy again👍
Old 06-08-2013, 09:41 AM   #56
cabinguy is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Sgt jet engine tech
Name: Rich
cabinguy's Tacoma Gallery
Add one more step

I took out the lower shock bolt and moved the shock out of the way, easier to get axle out, won't tear the new boots going in. Other than that, a great write up!
Old 06-10-2013, 04:20 PM   #57
Yep
buzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
buzzard1992's Tacoma Gallery
I changed out both cv axles yesterday and now my driver side is leakin gear oil where the axle and differential meet. Is that from improper installation? Or some seal? It was not leakin before
Old 06-10-2013, 07:20 PM   #58
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard1992 View Post
I changed out both cv axles yesterday and now my driver side is leakin gear oil where the axle and differential meet. Is that from improper installation? Or some seal? It was not leakin before
the seal probably got torn during cv install. they are super soft.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:18 PM   #59
Yep
buzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
buzzard1992's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
the seal probably got torn during cv install. they are super soft.
Yeah that's what I figured. It's goin in the shop tomorrow to get that fixed and the tie rods. I wish I had more time before the Georgia meet to do it myself
Old 06-24-2013, 08:16 PM   #60
dirtduster is on a distinguished road
Name: Dusty
dirtduster's Tacoma Gallery
Cool cv boot and axel replace

watched your wright up. pretty good . I think I can handle that. I have 1 cv boot torn , I was going to change both side unless somebody says no just change one.