Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Oil leak @%$#^#

Old 12-16-2008, 02:41 PM   #1
the foreigner
06tacomaprerunner is a splendid one to behold06tacomaprerunner is a splendid one to behold06tacomaprerunner is a splendid one to behold06tacomaprerunner is a splendid one to behold06tacomaprerunner is a splendid one to behold06tacomaprerunner is a splendid one to behold06tacomaprerunner is a splendid one to behold

06tacomaprerunner's Tacoma Gallery
Oil leak @%$#^#

well this is the story.

i was checking my oil level when i see these oil spots in the engine, i don't know much about cars but i can tell this is not right, so could someone help me on what should i do, what was the cause to this to happen, what else should i keep an eye on.

well thanks for your help.

ps 1. i'm out of warranty.
ps 2. i gotta go but i'll check for your answers late in the afternoon. thanks again
Old 12-16-2008, 02:46 PM   #2
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
I'm not sure that's anything to be worried about....as I can't really tell (in the pictures) what that really looks like.

For starters - clean the area up really good. And start tracking the problem day-to-day. Try to pinpoint where its coming from. Check your oil level also. You're probably not loosing enough to really worry about it (or that'll cost you arm/leg to have it fixed).
Old 12-16-2008, 02:47 PM   #3
This is TW. One never knows what is a joke anymore
beastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
beastlytaco's Tacoma Gallery
^^ +1. you can never really tell wher its coming from unless ya clean up a little. it might not be serious. but i would still monitor it daily. As long as Oil isnt spewing out of your engine block and you still have oil pressure, you should be fine.
Old 12-16-2008, 02:49 PM   #4
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
all it look like to me is that its just some old oil residue from where some oilwas spilled before. clean the area up real good and watch it for a couple of days.........otherwise, i think you have nothing to worry about.
Old 12-16-2008, 02:56 PM   #5
Runs with Scissors
Radelix has a spectacular aura aboutRadelix has a spectacular aura about

Radelix's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Radelix
since everyone said clean it up etc, I say install a thermal imaging camera underhood and a brand new 15 inch screen somewhere in the truck where you can see it while driving. And since you may not catch it( stoplight or something) have it record to a brand new DVD recorder....or you could do what they said
Old 12-16-2008, 05:26 PM   #6
the foreigner
06tacomaprerunner is a splendid one to behold06tacomaprerunner is a splendid one to behold06tacomaprerunner is a splendid one to behold06tacomaprerunner is a splendid one to behold06tacomaprerunner is a splendid one to behold06tacomaprerunner is a splendid one to behold06tacomaprerunner is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
I'm not sure that's anything to be worried about....as I can't really tell (in the pictures) what that really looks like.

For starters - clean the area up really good. And start tracking the problem day-to-day. Try to pinpoint where its coming from. Check your oil level also. You're probably not loosing enough to really worry about it (or that'll cost you arm/leg to have it fixed).
yep the oil level is fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastlytaco View Post
^^ +1. you can never really tell wher its coming from unless ya clean up a little. it might not be serious. but i would still monitor it daily. As long as Oil isnt spewing out of your engine block and you still have oil pressure, you should be fine.
that's what made me worry about it, it looks that it is coming from the engine block, but we'll see once i clean it. and sorry but how do i know if i have oil pressure???

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
all it look like to me is that its just some old oil residue from where some oilwas spilled before. clean the area up real good and watch it for a couple of days.........otherwise, i think you have nothing to worry about.

ok thanks for your advise, and i hope, like all you said maybe this is not something to worry about, but it really piss me off that it's my first new truck, and one of the things by which i decide to buy a brand new truck and a toyota, was that that i wouldn't going to have to be concerned about this kind of things, but well you never know. i'll keep tracking the issue and see how it goes. thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radelix View Post
since everyone said clean it up etc, I say install a thermal imaging camera underhood and a brand new 15 inch screen somewhere in the truck where you can see it while driving. And since you may not catch it( stoplight or something) have it record to a brand new DVD recorder....or you could do what they said
lol... did i sound too paranoiac...
Old 12-16-2008, 06:01 PM   #7
WESTern Alliance: NORCAL COAST
BeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BeefTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I t looks like your valve cover gaskets are starting to seep oil past the gaskets you say you are out of warranty Toyota would cover this if you were under 5 years or 60,000 miles. Do you have a extended warranty?

There was this post I started but it is hard to tell by the pictures if the timing cover is involved though.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...-oil-leak.html
Old 12-16-2008, 07:38 PM   #8
the foreigner

no warranty man, i already have 40 something miles and when i buy the truck they didn't have any extended warranty cause of the reability of toyota mmmm....

thanks for the info.

tomorrow i'm going to the dealer and see what happens.
Old 12-16-2008, 07:46 PM   #9
WESTern Alliance: NORCAL COAST
BeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BeefTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06tacomaprerunner View Post
no warranty man, i already have 40 something miles and when i buy the truck they didn't have any extended warranty cause of the reability of toyota mmmm....

thanks for the info.

tomorrow i'm going to the dealer and see what happens.
They should cover it under warranty if you only have 40,000 something miles on it good luck tomorrow.
Old 12-17-2008, 06:53 AM   #10
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06tacomaprerunner View Post
how do i know if i have oil pressure???
There's no oil presssure gauge unfortunately. You always have oil pressure, it's a matter of how much. If the little 'oil can' is lit on your dash - then you need to start worrying (and don't drive it with the oil can on the dash).
Old 12-17-2008, 09:17 AM   #11
the foreigner

Oooohh, thanks janster,and like you said it, maybe is not something to worry about it but i'm going to the dealer and a few shops to see what do they have to say and i'll keep you all informed...
Old 12-17-2008, 09:54 AM   #12
go shit in your hat
brianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shed
brianr's Tacoma Gallery
if it makes you feel any better, my 06 dubba cab pre , has an tiny oil leak to the right of the harmonic balancer. I was looking at my motor mounts per the "Check your motor mount" thread, and found the leak this morning.

Old 12-17-2008, 10:15 AM   #13
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianr View Post
if it makes you feel any better, my 06 dubba cab pre , has an tiny oil leak to the right of the harmonic balancer. I was looking at my motor mounts per the "Check your motor mount" thread, and found the leak this morning.

Are you sure its a leak, and not spilled oil from an oil change?
Old 12-17-2008, 10:18 AM   #14
go shit in your hat
brianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shed
brianr's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Are you sure its a leak, and not spilled oil from an oil change?

postively sure. its on the left side of the engine (as you are facing it), directly next to the harmonic balancer.
Old 12-17-2008, 10:24 AM   #15
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianr View Post
postively sure. its on the left side of the engine (as you are facing it), directly next to the harmonic balancer.
Have you taken it to the dealer?
Old 12-17-2008, 10:24 AM   #16
go shit in your hat
brianr's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Have you taken it to the dealer?
negative, just found it this morning.
Old 12-18-2008, 10:25 PM   #17
the foreigner

well i went this morning to my local dealer (in mexicali, mex.) and since i'm out of warranty the wanted to charged me with 100 dlls to have a look at it and connect the computer so they could tell me what the problem is, i said no thanks, cause i'm about 98% sure that the problem is that the valve cover gaskets are starting to seep oil past the gaskets and they wouldn't refound that money to the final repair total cost , i decide to go to my other local dealer in el centro, ca. since they were the ones that made all my maintence services when my warranty was on (because the mexican is new here) and see what they tell me.

and i find this for newbies like me

http://www.trustmymechanic.com/valve_cover_leak.htm
Old 12-18-2008, 10:29 PM   #18
go shit in your hat
brianr's Tacoma Gallery
keep us updated!

I'm going to my dealer in the morning for my oil leak I found. I have a 1K left on mile 36K mile warranty, and I also bought the extended warranty.

I also have to have another alingment since my rear sping TSB...its pulling to the right slightly.
Old 12-18-2008, 10:39 PM   #19
dtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Denny
dtrujillo63's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to dtrujillo63
Sorry but I have to ask, who is the girl in your avatar? Man she is smokin!

Brian, whats up with your sig? did you and the smoker get back together?
Old 12-18-2008, 10:40 PM   #20
Taco Traitor!
TRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to behold

TRD4x4858's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to TRD4x4858
That valve cover seepage was not gonna get repaired under warranty anyway, They wont replace for a small seepage like that on the valve cover, I would clean and see if it comes back