1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Save $$ on gas...

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by dud122, Dec 16, 2008.

1. Dec 16, 2008 at 6:45 PM
    dud122

dud122 [OP] rabble rabble rabble

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Riverdale Park, MD
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma DC
    OME up front, Dakar in the back, Elite front bumper, Warn winch, Tactical rear bumper with tire swing/jerry cans/hi lift, Revenge Fab. sliders, Tundra brakes, Camburg UCA's, Safari Snorkle, FJ TRD wheels, Lights, CB, Switches, skids, LED's... OH MY!
    Gas in my area is at about $1.80 and may go a bit lower so I was thinking...

I can buy an old 275 gallon oil tank for around $100 and a utility trailer for $300.

I can secure the two and fill it up at the local station (or multiple stations) for about $495. If I park it in my driveway for 6-7 months then I can be using $1.80 gas this June when everyone else is paying $4.50. At that point the same 275 gallons of gas that I paid $495 would cost over $1200. Not only making up my initial investment but already saving me money.

I know they say gas starts noticably losing its volatility as soon as 1-2 months after sitting but there are products to treat it.

What do you guys think of my idea? Know anything about gas sitting and the negative effects it may have on my engine?

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks guys.

2. Dec 16, 2008 at 6:47 PM
    tarheelfan_08

tarheelfan_08 Carolina Alliance

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2010 White 4x4 Double Cab Tacoma Short Bed
    Chrome Grill, Chrome accessories(door handles and mirror covers), LEER Super White Cover, Mirrors with Turn Signals, Window Vent Visors, Step Rails, WeatherTech Digital Floor Mats, Mini Maglight Holder, Chrome Bull Bar
    If im not mistaking gas can go bad! It has an expiration date i believe!

3. Dec 16, 2008 at 6:49 PM
    MonkeyProof

MonkeyProof Power Top

Member:
    SoCal- SGV
    my boss bought 500 gallons in a pre paid gas card a few months ago. he paid whatever the price was per gallon at the time. you might wanna check into that

4. Dec 16, 2008 at 6:50 PM
    dud122

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Riverdale Park, MD
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma DC
    OME up front, Dakar in the back, Elite front bumper, Warn winch, Tactical rear bumper with tire swing/jerry cans/hi lift, Revenge Fab. sliders, Tundra brakes, Camburg UCA's, Safari Snorkle, FJ TRD wheels, Lights, CB, Switches, skids, LED's... OH MY!
    I know but there are products out there that can extend its life up to a year. Just wondering if anyone has experience with it or know if it has negative effects on engines.

5. Dec 16, 2008 at 7:38 PM
    dud122

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Riverdale Park, MD
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma DC
    shameless bump for more opinions...

6. Dec 16, 2008 at 7:44 PM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    if ur worried about it that much, i'd do like monkey suggested and buy a prepaid gas card. that way u buy it at the current price, but also get the fresh gas when u need it and dont have to buy a tank or trailer

7. Dec 16, 2008 at 8:00 PM
    dud122

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Riverdale Park, MD
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma DC

what station was this for??? and what statins does anyone know of that runs programs like this? I can't imagine too many or I would think a lot more people would be doing it.

all of the gas cards I've found online are more like gift certificates... i can put money on the card but when i got to spend it I am still paying whatever the current rate is.

anyone have any more info on the effectiveness of the fuel treatment additives or any possible damage to the engine?

8. Dec 16, 2008 at 8:11 PM
    MonkeyProof

MonkeyProof Power Top

Member:
    SoCal- SGV
    i'll ask the boss but i do know is the card is good anywhere. i guess it's used as a credit card. it works like this...you purchase however many gallons you like at the current gas price. when you go use it you are just crediting the amount that you originaly paid for. i think its a good idea, buy now when its cheap and use it later on when the prices sky rocket again

9. Dec 17, 2008 at 5:21 AM
    borderbrat

borderbrat Watching Chris4x4 o.O

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Victoria BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB, STOCK..But not for long
    (old truck 2008 AC ....PIAA fogs, led "puddle" lights, bed lights, in cab 115V, Toyota Devil emblem, Randy Ellis light bar with LED light bar, OME 885 and Dakar leaf springs OME shock all round, 2.5 Gal OBA system with air horns, iPod adapter, scangauge on blend mount, magnaflow catback, bike fork mounts, tinted 2009 tails.)
    you could look into circulating does any good thats what we do with JP5 on the ship and it sits for months before a refil.

10. Dec 17, 2008 at 5:36 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    I'd worry about the contaminents in the old oil tank, the whole mixing something that isn't processed the same that going in my tacoma engine?

We prepaid for heating oil for years around here, lock in the summer with money up front. The last couple of winters some people have paid close to 3-5k based on usage, its insanely expensive to stay warm even at lock in rates.

Also the heating fuel dealers in my area also primarily own the gas supply trucks so they may be the ones locking in the prices? Not sure if the same in your area? If anything spring for new 275 gal tank.

11. Dec 17, 2008 at 5:56 AM
    HighPlains

HighPlains Well-Known Member

Member:
    Forget about it. You will never get out of the tank as much as you put in. It is called shrinkage. Does not matter if it is widgets, grain, or gas you never get out what you put in. Go ahead though, as long as you don't put an accurate meter your outlet hose, you will never know the difference.

And another thing...How do you know that you won't be pumping your $1.80 gas all summer while everyone else is running $1.25? I would suspect it will be a very long time before we see $4.00 gasoline again. Our California brethren not included.

Products Discussed in

To Top