1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Starting issues

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by groggy, Jul 17, 2007.

1. Jul 17, 2007 at 6:39 PM
    groggy

groggy [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hello,

I have a 98 Tacoma and i believe my solenoid is going. I never have any issues when the starter engages the engine, but I am getting more frequent "clicking" (especially when I haven't driven it in a few days) when I use the ignition switch. Often, it takes 3-4 seperate attempts before the starter finally engages.

My question is, is this probably only the solenoid on the starter?
    or maybe the ignition on the steering column? or should i replace the entire starter/solenoid all at once?

Any ideas?

thanks for the input.

2. Jul 17, 2007 at 7:30 PM
    007Tacoma

007Tacoma I dub thee malicious!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 4Runner Trail Edition Premium
    Cloaking Device
    If you are getting a clicking noise from under the hood, that is more than likely where the problem is. That means that the circuit is being closed in the column - so your problem isn't there (90% sure of that).

3. Jul 17, 2007 at 7:54 PM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    cant autozone/advanced auto check starters now? if they can, i'd say take it to one of them and have em check it. i'm pretty sure they do it at most places.

4. Jul 17, 2007 at 8:05 PM
    groggy

groggy [OP] New Member

Member:
    thanks for the info.

Yes, it is under the hood. So I assume it is the starter, and I called napa to get a price quote and he had none for just the solenoid itself (all one package i guess)

Appreciate the help.

5. Jul 17, 2007 at 8:16 PM
    kilo

kilo Solo Member

Member:
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2007 Dbl cab long bed TRD Sport
    custom sliders, 3" Old Man Emu lift, onboard air, custom surf-rod mount, custom bed rack, ARB bumper, Budbuilt fuel tank skid-plate
    Take your time with this and check everything before you waste your time and or money. It could be your solenoid, starter, relay or your battery. Take it to autozone and have them check it out first. If you do it yourself start with battery make sure its got a good connection, then go to your relay and use screw driver, then solenoid then starter.

6. Jul 17, 2007 at 11:13 PM
    SLOTaco

SLOTaco Ultimate Member

Member:
    Central Coast, California
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Sport
    '06 TRD Sport 4x4 AC, K&N drop in air filter, Magnaflow cat back, Bilstein 5100's with Toytec adjustable front coil over 3" lift, rear TSB, AllPro UCA's.
    The starters of those are super easy to work on if your at all mechanically inclined. From what you describe it sounds like the contacts in the starter are worn out, common on these starters. If you pull starter out, take the plate off that is on the opposite side from the drive gear, and you'll see two U shaped copper contacts, replace those, clean the copper ring on the center drive, and reassemble, it should work fine.

7. Jul 17, 2007 at 11:14 PM
    SLOTaco

SLOTaco Ultimate Member

Member:
    Central Coast, California
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Sport
    '06 TRD Sport 4x4 AC, K&N drop in air filter, Magnaflow cat back, Bilstein 5100's with Toytec adjustable front coil over 3" lift, rear TSB, AllPro UCA's.
    Or just buy a new starter, contacts are a few bucks, a starter will be more than a hundred.

8. Jul 17, 2007 at 11:50 PM
    humanoid

humanoid bite me

Member:
    Sunny SoCal
    Vehicle:
    I had a '99 Xtra Cab PreRunner SR5 V6
    9 times out of 10 it will be bad/worn starter contacts. Below is a link for a DIY on how to replace the contacts. A few questions I have to ask: How long has the current batter been in the car? When was the last time the spark plugs and wires were changed? The reason I ask is because a couple months ago I had a warm start issues with my rig. It wouldn't start on the first crank of the key after the engine was/is warm. I think I read over on TTORA that someone had the same problem and they changed their plugs out and that solved their problem. Well, it was about time to do the plugs any way so I decided to change those out as well as the wires. The battery was about 4 years old and I replaced it with a new one. Low and behold my warm start issues was solved and I gained about 2-3 MPG, driving the same route and same driving patterns. Check into those things, they might help too. Enough of me babbling, here's the link:

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/Starter.shtml

Products Discussed in

To Top