Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Starting issues

Old 07-17-2007, 06:39 PM   #1
groggy is on a distinguished road
groggy's Tacoma Gallery
Starting issues

Hello,

I have a 98 Tacoma and i believe my solenoid is going. I never have any issues when the starter engages the engine, but I am getting more frequent "clicking" (especially when I haven't driven it in a few days) when I use the ignition switch. Often, it takes 3-4 seperate attempts before the starter finally engages.

My question is, is this probably only the solenoid on the starter?
or maybe the ignition on the steering column? or should i replace the entire starter/solenoid all at once?

Any ideas?

thanks for the input.
Old 07-17-2007, 07:30 PM   #2
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
007Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 007Tacoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by groggy View Post
Hello,

I have a 98 Tacoma and i believe my solenoid is going. I never have any issues when the starter engages the engine, but I am getting more frequent "clicking" (especially when I haven't driven it in a few days) when I use the ignition switch. Often, it takes 3-4 seperate attempts before the starter finally engages.

My question is, is this probably only the solenoid on the starter?
or maybe the ignition on the steering column? or should i replace the entire starter/solenoid all at once?

Any ideas?

thanks for the input.
If you are getting a clicking noise from under the hood, that is more than likely where the problem is. That means that the circuit is being closed in the column - so your problem isn't there (90% sure of that).
Old 07-17-2007, 07:54 PM   #3
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
cant autozone/advanced auto check starters now? if they can, i'd say take it to one of them and have em check it. i'm pretty sure they do it at most places.
Old 07-17-2007, 08:05 PM   #4
groggy is on a distinguished road
groggy's Tacoma Gallery
thanks for the info.

Yes, it is under the hood. So I assume it is the starter, and I called napa to get a price quote and he had none for just the solenoid itself (all one package i guess)

Appreciate the help.
Old 07-17-2007, 08:16 PM   #5
Solo Member
kilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Kilo Battery 3rd Battalion 11th Marines 1st Marine Division
kilo's Tacoma Gallery
Take your time with this and check everything before you waste your time and or money. It could be your solenoid, starter, relay or your battery. Take it to autozone and have them check it out first. If you do it yourself start with battery make sure its got a good connection, then go to your relay and use screw driver, then solenoid then starter.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:13 PM   #6
Ultimate Member
SLOTaco is a splendid one to beholdSLOTaco is a splendid one to beholdSLOTaco is a splendid one to beholdSLOTaco is a splendid one to beholdSLOTaco is a splendid one to beholdSLOTaco is a splendid one to beholdSLOTaco is a splendid one to behold

SLOTaco's Tacoma Gallery
The starters of those are super easy to work on if your at all mechanically inclined. From what you describe it sounds like the contacts in the starter are worn out, common on these starters. If you pull starter out, take the plate off that is on the opposite side from the drive gear, and you'll see two U shaped copper contacts, replace those, clean the copper ring on the center drive, and reassemble, it should work fine.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:14 PM   #7
Ultimate Member
SLOTaco is a splendid one to beholdSLOTaco is a splendid one to beholdSLOTaco is a splendid one to beholdSLOTaco is a splendid one to beholdSLOTaco is a splendid one to beholdSLOTaco is a splendid one to beholdSLOTaco is a splendid one to behold

SLOTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Or just buy a new starter, contacts are a few bucks, a starter will be more than a hundred.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:50 PM   #8
bite me
humanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

humanoid's Tacoma Gallery
9 times out of 10 it will be bad/worn starter contacts. Below is a link for a DIY on how to replace the contacts. A few questions I have to ask: How long has the current batter been in the car? When was the last time the spark plugs and wires were changed? The reason I ask is because a couple months ago I had a warm start issues with my rig. It wouldn't start on the first crank of the key after the engine was/is warm. I think I read over on TTORA that someone had the same problem and they changed their plugs out and that solved their problem. Well, it was about time to do the plugs any way so I decided to change those out as well as the wires. The battery was about 4 years old and I replaced it with a new one. Low and behold my warm start issues was solved and I gained about 2-3 MPG, driving the same route and same driving patterns. Check into those things, they might help too. Enough of me babbling, here's the link:

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/Starter.shtml