Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Engine won't start without using throttle, dies if you don't stay on the throttle

Old 12-19-2008, 09:50 PM   #1
danding is on a distinguished road
Air Force: ROTC DET. 310 LSU
Name: Daniel
danding's Tacoma Gallery
Engine won't start without using throttle, dies if you don't stay on the throttle

I was driving and my overdrive was off. I have no idea if this has anything to do with what happened, but after I turned the overdrive back on I let off the gas and the my truck slowly died. It only starts if you press the gas and runs fine as long as you stay on the gas. This is a 2001 tacoma with about 111,000 miles on it.
Any help is greatly appreciated. I wanna know how much trouble I might be in.
Old 12-20-2008, 03:30 AM   #2
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by danding View Post
I was driving and my overdrive was off. I have no idea if this has anything to do with what happened, but after I turned the overdrive back on I let off the gas and the my truck slowly died. It only starts if you press the gas and runs fine as long as you stay on the gas. This is a 2001 tacoma with about 111,000 miles on it.
Any help is greatly appreciated. I wanna know how much trouble I might be in.
Have the fuel injectors been cleaned? If they're clogged, it'll do that.
Old 12-20-2008, 07:00 AM   #3
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
check the IAC.....
Old 12-20-2008, 07:44 AM   #4
I miss Lucy. :-(
HerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Computer Tech
Name: John
HerNameIsLucy's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to HerNameIsLucy Send a message via Yahoo to HerNameIsLucy
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
check the IAC.....
Yup. Just whatever you do don't try and clean it. If it's shot, it's shot.
Old 12-20-2008, 08:40 AM   #5
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerNameIsLucy View Post
Yup. Just whatever you do don't try and clean it. If it's shot, it's shot.
Thats good to know. I have never tried to clean one, but have heard others attempt it.
Old 12-20-2008, 08:43 AM   #6
I miss Lucy. :-(
HerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Computer Tech
Name: John
HerNameIsLucy's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to HerNameIsLucy Send a message via Yahoo to HerNameIsLucy
I think it's like those throttle bodies and intake plenums Ford uses, has some sort of coating on it that's supposed to get dirty and stay on forever. Girlfreind's Taurus even has "DO NOT CLEAN" molded into the throttle body, and the Haynes for my Ranger said do not clean the intake plenum / runners. In the IAC it's probably there for lubrication.
Old 12-20-2008, 08:45 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerNameIsLucy View Post
I think it's like those throttle bodies and intake plenums Ford uses, has some sort of coating on it that's supposed to get dirty and stay on forever. Girlfreind's Taurus even has "DO NOT CLEAN" molded into the throttle body, and the Haynes for my Ranger said do not clean the intake plenum / runners. In the IAC it's probably there for lubrication.
Good to know! Thanks, Lucy.
Old 12-20-2008, 08:55 PM   #8
The TW 1%
ForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Coast Guard: Chief Petty Officer, ITC
Name: Drunken Sailor
ForeRunner's Tacoma Gallery
For my 1000th post.

I have pulled the IAC off of a 99 4Runner. I cleaned it with some carb/choke cleaner and a soft tooth brush. Made the 4Runner run very smooth after that, well till she puked the #3 spark plug.

To do so you need to remove the throttle body and you will need the throttle body gasket and IAC gasket.. Disconnect the throttle cable and cruise control cable. Disconnect the 2 hoses and all electrical connections to the throttle body/IAC. Remove the 2 bolts and 2 nuts that attach the throttle body to the Intake mainfold (IIRC 10mm). Disconnect the IAC from the lower portion of the trottle body. Clean as best as possible. Replace as was disassembled with new gaskets.

I'm actually about to do this on the 2003 Tacoma as soon as I can get the gaskets. If there is any doubt please refer to this thread over on Yotatech.
Old 12-20-2008, 09:03 PM   #9
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banshee View Post
For my 1000th post.

I have pulled the IAC off of a 99 4Runner. I cleaned it with some carb/choke cleaner and a soft tooth brush. Made the 4Runner run very smooth after that, well till she puked the #3 spark plug.

To do so you need to remove the throttle body and you will need the throttle body gasket and IAC gasket.. Disconnect the throttle cable and cruise control cable. Disconnect the 2 hoses and all electrical connections to the throttle body/IAC. Remove the 2 bolts and 2 nuts that attach the throttle body to the Intake mainfold (IIRC 10mm). Disconnect the IAC from the lower portion of the trottle body. Clean as best as possible. Replace as was disassembled with new gaskets.

I'm actually about to do this on the 2003 Tacoma as soon as I can get the gaskets. If there is any doubt please refer to this thread over on Yotatech.
something to add......................if you try disconnecting a hose to the iac valve while the truck is running just to spray some cleaner into it...............forget about it!!! you'll be pumping out antifreeze all over the place. i found out the hard way the other day. gonna take my throttle body and iac off the truck later on when needed, but im good to go for now.
Old 12-21-2008, 08:09 AM   #10
danding is on a distinguished road
Air Force: ROTC DET. 310 LSU
Name: Daniel
danding's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the help guys. I did some hunting in some other forums and found some of the same answers that other people had gotten. The funny thing is, this morning when I started it, it cranked fine and everything was fine except that it is idling at almost half the RPM it used too.