1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TRD Exhuast Install Question

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by bubbagumps, May 4, 2012.

1. May 4, 2012 at 1:35 PM
    bubbagumps

bubbagumps [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I searched the forum but could not find the answer.

Purchased the TRD cat-back bolt-on exhaust kit.

Installation looks straightforward. The only question I have is, do you need to put on a new gasket or sealer? From what I read here from people that have installed, this is never mentioned, so I assume nobody is doing this. Is there something unique about the TRD exhuast connection that does not require this?

Thanks

2. May 4, 2012 at 1:49 PM
    Ryanv

Ryanv Toyota Technician

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    15 4Runner
    RTFM! They should be in the box
    [​IMG]

3. May 4, 2012 at 3:43 PM
    bubbagumps

Member:
    Thanks. No install guide was included nothing in box I was shipped and dealer claims none are included with kit.

4. May 8, 2012 at 3:25 PM
    bubbagumps

Member:
    I did it today. The dealer was a toolbag. No DIY sheet included and they kept trying to get me to let them install it, warning me the warranty would only last one year on the exhuast if I installed it myself. I don't know if that's why they wouldn't give me the sheet. I was a little ticked. I asked him why should I pay $200 to bolt on an exhuast that is about as complex to put together as a child's toy?

Anyways, it took about an hour to do. The only hard part was getting the rubber hangers off and not bumping into the brake lines on the axle.

I like it. I was expecting no sounds at idle based on what others have said. Compared to a flowmaster, it is quiet. But it is definitely different from the stock sound and has a mild purr at idle. This would be a good exhuast for someone who wants a little bit of sound without going overboard or annoying the neighbors. The tip looks nice as well and adds a nice touch to my Pyrite Mica.

Tomorrow, I get the front windows tinted. My Avid lighbtar arrives on Friday. Already put on predator step bars a month ago. This will complete my modest list of mods for my new truck. No plan for lifts or wheels. I like the rest of the truck as is.

5. May 8, 2012 at 3:28 PM
    Aw9d

Aw9d That one guy

Member:
    I always find using white lithium grease on those rubber mounts helps get the exhaust off pretty quickly.

6. May 8, 2012 at 3:35 PM
    bubbagumps

Member:
    Thanks. My truck is only two months old so I didn't have to deal with rust clinging to the hangers. I just sprayed on some WD last night and let it sit. The only hangers that were problems where the two connected to the rear of the muffler. I ended up just pulling off the rubber hangers attached to the muffler then remounting them on the new exhaust.

Products Discussed in

To Top