1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dome light Gremlins!

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Janster, Dec 23, 2008.

1. Dec 23, 2008 at 7:34 AM
    Janster

Janster [OP] Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    This is really weird...so perhaps ya'll can school me on how the dome light is hooked up.

A few weeks ago I was driving to work at night and after a few times....I finally realized my dome light was coming on by itself but only when I'd make a turn and the truck would 'lean' into the turn. As the truck leaned, the dome light would come on and then go out as the truck flattened out again. The door ajar light on the dash NEVER comes.

So, today at work...I get out and start playing with the buttons on the door. There's a pie shaped button and I still don't know what that does. There's a rubber plunger looking button. At the time.....my drivers side door was open (obviously) and I'm pushing this button in - watching my dome light come on/off as I press it. Also - the 'door ajar' button came on at the same time along with the dome light. I even tried to slowly press & release the plunger to see if the dome light would come on without the dash light. But I couldn't do it.

I get home and start playing with the button again, in/out/on/off...turning the dome light switch door/off/on.... but this time, drivers side door is open (same as before) and I'm pressing the plunger and the dome light is staying on constant. I shut the door.... and hit the lock key, and the dome light stays on. Then...open the door, play some more ... and finally, the thing went out when I locked the door. What the??

Anyone have this weirdness going on? If I can actually narrow it down to what this is or could be, it'd be much easier taking it to the dealer and convincing them there's a problem and having it fixed under warrantee.

Something electrical and not sure if its switch related, ground, or what?
    2007 TRD Sport Access cab 14K miles.

2. Dec 23, 2008 at 7:53 AM
    Gorilla_97

Gorilla_97 Once a gorilla always a gorilla

Member:
    First Name:
    Thomas
    Fort Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    08 FJC Black Diamond
    I have an 07 DC PreRunner also with dome light gremlins. Started when the truck was brand new, the light did not always come on when the doors opened. I took it into the dealership who said it was a "loose wire". My light still doesn't come on everytime I open the door, so I plan on taking it back in soon to have it looked at again.

3. Dec 23, 2008 at 7:58 AM
    Hotdog

Hotdog My hair is all natural Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner SR5 Double Cab
    Wet Okole Underwear
    I have a feeling that the dome light is operated directly off of the door switch and the door ajar switch is also operated directly off of the door switch, but I bet they form two different circuits. That would mean that the dash light could be correct but a wire in the dome light circuit could be loose. I'd start with the peeking inside the dome light, then I'd start prying off panels.

Some other things I would try would be setting the switch to the different settings and driving around like that.

4. Dec 23, 2008 at 8:16 AM
    borderbrat

borderbrat Watching Chris4x4 o.O

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Victoria BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB, STOCK..But not for long
    (old truck 2008 AC ....PIAA fogs, led "puddle" lights, bed lights, in cab 115V, Toyota Devil emblem, Randy Ellis light bar with LED light bar, OME 885 and Dakar leaf springs OME shock all round, 2.5 Gal OBA system with air horns, iPod adapter, scangauge on blend mount, magnaflow catback, bike fork mounts, tinted 2009 tails.)
    there are two grounds and one constant hot on the dome light. one ground is activated when you unlock or open the door the other is just a constant ground for the switch on the light itself. i'd say there is a ground in that line somewhere perhaps some water in the door switch.

5. Dec 23, 2008 at 6:46 PM
    AZFizik

AZFizik Slowpokeologist

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD OffRoad Prerunner
    TRD Catback & CAI, Fogs only, Recovered Armrests, BFG AT's
    +1 on a weird ground somewhere. I've got my vote on a nicked wire. Happens all the time, all it takes is one slip of a screw gun and you've got yourself an electrical gremlin.

6. Dec 23, 2008 at 7:44 PM
    Janster

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    Thanks gang!
    I'll do some more investigating next week. I'll only go so far before taking it to the dealer (warrantee). I gotta have an idea of what it is so I can atleast steer them in the right direction...versus the excuses they always give ya "It didn't occur" :rolleyes:

Keep the thoughts rolling!!

7. Feb 6, 2009 at 9:43 AM
    Janster

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:

Products Discussed in

To Top