1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Transmission / Driveline Vibration

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by MagnumMike52, May 8, 2012.

1. May 8, 2012 at 8:15 AM
    MagnumMike52

MagnumMike52 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Oneida, NY
    Vehicle:
    06 V6 TRD 4x4
    Just found this great site today! I have a '06 Double Cab SR5 TRD 4x4 (Auto) short box with 22,000 miles. Purchased it two years ago from an estate. The truck was owned and driven by a little old lady (71) who used it as a "winter vehicle" - True Story.
    Ever since I bought it, I have noticed what feels like a shudder or slight, but noticeable, vibration when I take off from a stop or when I slow down coming to a stop. Same vibration sensation whether starting or slowing down. The transmission shifts fine other than the initial vibration. I mentioned this to my local Toyota dealer. The mechanic said this was a "normal" phenomenon for the transmissions in these trucks and "nothing to worry about".
    The truck has never hauled or towed anything to date. This subject may have been covered on here before, but I could not find anything in the threads. I'm curious if others have noticed this vibration and, if so, what have you done or been told to do to correct the issue. I appreciate any information you guys can share on this.

Thanks

Mike M.
    Oneida, NY

2. May 8, 2012 at 8:39 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Welcome to TW

Take off shudder is a common complaint with these trucks , so I would agree that it is a trait of the truck .

If you are unaware of the search function at the top of the page , I would suggest you try to search " take off shudder " or " driveline vibration " , that will keep you in reading material for the forseeable future :)

3. May 8, 2012 at 9:42 AM
    MagnumMike52

MagnumMike52 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Oneida, NY
    Vehicle:
    06 V6 TRD 4x4
    Thanks Oz !!! I will check it out. At least it's good to know that I'm not alone......

Thanks again for the reply!

4. May 8, 2012 at 9:41 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
  5. May 8, 2012 at 9:49 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    Welcome.

I see you met OZ:D

Yep, very common.......not sure if I'd call it normal, but plenty of reading on the subject, including a guy with a new 2012 that does it.

6. May 9, 2012 at 4:36 AM
    MagnumMike52

MagnumMike52 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Oneida, NY
    Vehicle:
    06 V6 TRD 4x4
    Thanks Joe !

You would think that with the publicity surrounding Toyota's recalls, Toyota would have come out with a fix of their own for this. I read some of the threads and I am impressed with how in depth, TW members have researched this and found cures. Other than this issue, I love the truck. My brother has almost the twin to mine; same bright red but an access cab with 50K. He has not noticed the vibration with his. Is it with the double cabs only or all cab variations?

Mike

Products Discussed in

To Top