Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

TRD Power Inverter

Old 12-26-2008, 08:48 AM   #1
HighPlains will become famous soon enoughHighPlains will become famous soon enough
HighPlains's Tacoma Gallery
TRD Power Inverter

Has anyone else with the TRD package that includes the in bed power inverter found it to be totally useless? 100w-400w?! I guess you could run a charger from it but not much else in my estimation.

So here is the question: Has anyone attempted to replace the stock one with a larger wattage unit? A search of the threads revealed that the stock unit is underneath the center console. Would the wiring and related hardware require upgrading?
Old 12-26-2008, 08:59 AM   #2
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
It really depends on how big you want to go. You could probably upgrade to a 600 Watt inverter and you wouldn't have any issues with wiring in between the outlet and the inverter, but I would want to run a fresh power going directly from the battery and install a relay going to a dash switch. I think that there was a 600(it might have been 800) watt coleman that would fit in the OEM location.
Old 12-26-2008, 09:32 AM   #3
HighPlains will become famous soon enoughHighPlains will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsocoee View Post
It really depends on how big you want to go. You could probably upgrade to a 600 Watt inverter and you wouldn't have any issues with wiring in between the outlet and the inverter, but I would want to run a fresh power going directly from the battery and install a relay going to a dash switch. I think that there was a 600(it might have been 800) watt coleman that would fit in the OEM location.
Are you suggesting the existing wiring and switches/relays are not spec'ed high enough for the larger wattage inverter? I have the worthless stock one now. I have somewhere if I can find it, a 750w Black and Decker inverter. When I first saw the inverter on the TRD trucks, I thought "how innovative is that?". I thought up at least 100 uses. Only later did it occur to me that 400w is only good enough to run very few of the things I dreamed up.
Thanks.
Old 12-26-2008, 09:46 AM   #4
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
One of my concerns is the way they switch between 100/400 Watts and Off.

You also need to realize that the 400W inverter requires roughyl 33 Amps, and the 750W inverter could require as much as 62.5 Amps. Those wires are probably going to need to be about 12 (OEM) and 8 gauge, respectively.
Old 12-26-2008, 10:02 AM   #5
Ahaszard is on a distinguished road
Army: MSG Retired
Ahaszard's Tacoma Gallery
I use my inverter all the time. I use it for my ARB Fridge/Freezer and it works great!
Old 12-26-2008, 10:40 AM   #6
Stock Taco For Now
311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
311offroad's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahaszard View Post
I use my inverter all the time. I use it for my ARB Fridge/Freezer and it works great!
Nice

Ive only needed to use mine for charging batteries
Old 12-26-2008, 10:58 AM   #7
sonjay is just really nicesonjay is just really nicesonjay is just really nicesonjay is just really nice

sonjay's Tacoma Gallery
I got one for christmas to run my vaporizer when I'm camping
Old 12-26-2008, 11:04 AM   #8
My hair is all natural

lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonjay View Post
I got one for christmas to run my vaporizer when I'm camping
I got one too, but I'm planning on running my foot massager and makeup mirror.
Old 12-26-2008, 12:38 PM   #9
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I got one too, but I'm planning on running my foot massager and makeup mirror.
So you do a lot of voguing on the trail?
Old 12-26-2008, 12:42 PM   #10
My hair is all natural

lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrjohnson View Post
So you do a lot of voguing on the trail?
I'll come up with a response when you come up with a doggy zoolander.
Old 12-26-2008, 01:26 PM   #11
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I'll come up with a response when you come up with a doggy zoolander.
Old 12-26-2008, 01:41 PM   #12
famousfernando is on a distinguished road
famousfernando's Tacoma Gallery
so how does the inverter work i never used it do you have to have the truck running or do you just have to have the key turned on?
Old 12-26-2008, 01:57 PM   #13
My hair is all natural

lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrjohnson View Post
those were the days...they used to give out blow for free.
Old 12-26-2008, 04:19 PM   #14
Quote:
One of my concerns is the way they switch between 100/400 Watts and Off.

You also need to realize that the 400W inverter requires roughyl 33 Amps, and the 750W inverter could require as much as 62.5 Amps. Those wires are probably going to need to be about 12 (OEM) and 8 gauge, respectively.
Yeah, I did not think about the system switching between 100w to 400w and how all that works. I just wish they had made the capacity a little higher. I don't really have anything in particular in mind. I just want to know that if I want to charge my proton pack away from home, I can do it.

Thanks for the input.
Old 12-26-2008, 04:43 PM   #15
SC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Grant
SC4333's Tacoma Gallery
sin wave problem

Another wonderful thing... Last year I found out the hard way when on a project out of town, that 12v DC to 120v AC inverters will create reproduced sin wave issues. This will prohibit you from using certain chargers and other sensitive devices from the inverted power source. Doubt this would be of issue for most applications, but it sure did screw my work schedule that weekend.
Old 03-27-2009, 10:30 PM   #16
Keep 'em smiling
LEDtoma is on a distinguished road

LEDtoma's Tacoma Gallery
In-cab Inverter

I also found that the 400w output (in park) was too low. I go camping alot and needed more power so I installed an 800W Inverter and mounted under the drivers seat. I then extended all wiring to the rear of the center counsel and re-mounted the switch, LEDs and plug. The inverter I choose had a USB output that I also extended to the counsel strictly for the kids to charge their toys. I have since installed a 12V power outlet wired/fused directly to the battery for continuous power.

TRD Power Inverter-100_0946.jpg

TRD Power Inverter-100_0953.jpg

TRD Power Inverter-100_0951.jpg

TRD Power Inverter-100_0962.jpg

Although I take credit for my labor I can't take credit for the know how.
Please see link below for some awesome ideas/mods.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/832238

Meet Kramer. He loves to ride and I think he loves my truck more than I do...

TRD Power Inverter-100_0971.jpg