Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

TRD Locker won't engage

Old 12-28-2008, 06:30 AM   #1
bull is on a distinguished road
bull's Tacoma Gallery
TRD Locker won't engage

Hey guys,

New to the forum and need help. My 2008 DC TRD is equipped with the locking differential. When I push the button, I get the red flashing emblem but it won't stop flashing to indicate that the locker is engaged.

What is the solution?

Thanks!
Old 12-28-2008, 07:08 AM   #2
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: K9 Handler
MonkeyProof's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to MonkeyProof Send a message via Skype™ to MonkeyProof
you must be in 4low to engage the locker if you didn't already know that. occasionally when trying to engage the locker when in 4low it will take a second or 2 for it to engage
Old 12-28-2008, 07:44 AM   #3
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Huh? I have an 06 and the emblem is green. Remember that after you engage to 4x4, you have to either stop and go or press on the gas pedal for it to lock in.
Old 12-28-2008, 08:37 AM   #4
bull is on a distinguished road
bull's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the help! It took a few seconds to lock after I followed your advice. I did not realize that it had to be in 4L. The manual wasn't much help.

By the way, I love this truck...
Old 12-28-2008, 09:51 AM   #5
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
The more you use the locker, the quicker it engages/disengages.

Also, for all you Prerunners. I come to a full stop before engaging the locker and then I let the truck idle forward and it usually engages pretty quick.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:07 AM   #6
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05TacoTRD View Post
The more you use the locker, the quicker it engages/disengages.

Also, for all you Prerunners. I come to a full stop before engaging the locker and then I let the truck idle forward and it usually engages pretty quick.
Hold on. So the locker only locks in 4L? Also, whats up with the Vehicle Stability Control system. I was going through my manual and came up on it. Is that only for "off-road' editions?
Old 12-28-2008, 10:08 AM   #7
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
If your a 4x4, you can only get the locker to work in 4lo. Prerunners with the locker (2wd) can engage the locker anytime.

I don't know nothing about the stability control stuff.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:13 AM   #8
Lieutenant Dan.

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05TacoTRD View Post
If your a 4x4, you can only get the locker to work in 4lo. Prerunners with the locker (2wd) can engage the locker anytime.

I don't know nothing about the stability control stuff.
Oh okay got yah!
Old 12-28-2008, 02:09 PM   #9
Lieutenant Dan.

Smile

Well just took my truck out and tried the 4L. It didn't engage the first time but came to a complete stop again and 2nd time worked like a charm! I don't think I have ever had my truck in 4L!!! Never heard my truck beep at me neither!!! haha, it was kind of cool! Hey the engine did sound a little different though when i was in 4L, is that normal?
Old 12-28-2008, 02:11 PM   #10
Taco Traitor!
TRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to behold

TRD4x4858's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to TRD4x4858
Yeah, Its the sound of your truck turning into a tank that can climb anything!
Old 12-28-2008, 02:18 PM   #11
Lieutenant Dan.

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRD4x4858 View Post
Yeah, Its the sound of your truck turning into a tank that can climb anything!
Haha yeah! What is the typical speed range when in 4L? I sure know it didn't want to go very fast!
Old 12-28-2008, 02:37 PM   #12
Taco Traitor!
TRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to behold

TRD4x4858's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to TRD4x4858
I usually go pretty slow in 4lo, like 20-25 max is what ive taken it
Old 12-28-2008, 02:54 PM   #13
My Cat's breath Smells like Cat Food
Monkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
Monkeysuncle's Tacoma Gallery
You'll know the max the engine can do. Just remember in 4 low gear the engine is spinning faster than the rear end, transfercase is reducing the spin and turning it into torque. In my 99 4 low will climb by itself on an easy grade.
Old 12-29-2008, 07:04 AM   #14
Uncivilized Creations Prez
PrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Redz
PrezidentRedz's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to PrezidentRedz
not sure about the 2gens, but 4low in a 5sp Manual 1st Gen is about 45-50MPH in 5th Gear.
Old 12-29-2008, 07:10 AM   #15
Lieutenant Dan.

Smile

Okay thanks guys! I'm not to worried about it because I barely use it anyways! Good info though.
Old 12-29-2008, 07:12 AM   #16
Uncivilized Creations Prez
PrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Redz
PrezidentRedz's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to PrezidentRedz
but like some of the other said, you can modify the comp, (Grey Wire Mod) to use the locker when ever you want... EX 2wd
Old 01-11-2009, 08:35 PM   #17
wickeddisaster is on a distinguished road
Army: 13romeo artilery
wickeddisaster's Tacoma Gallery
whats the gray wire mod?
Old 01-11-2009, 08:36 PM   #18
wickeddisaster is on a distinguished road
Army: 13romeo artilery
wickeddisaster's Tacoma Gallery
whats the gray wire mod