LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

HELP!! 92 celica starting problems HELP!! turn key and goes click most of the time

Old 06-17-2012, 01:35 PM   #1
Aight
sernaj64 is on a distinguished road
Marines:
Name: Juan
sernaj64's Tacoma Gallery
HELP!! 92 celica starting problems HELP!! turn key and goes click most of the time

well i know this is a tacoma site but id thought it give you handy mech's here a shot also

ok so here is the deal. and i thank you guys in advance for any and all help.

so to start i have a 92 celica GT liftback.
so when i go in to my car everything looks good (ill add a vid later.)
all the lights come on and when i put the key in its sounds good the dinging sounds and when you turn one click the dashlight all turn on and you get the beeping sound and when you go to start it goes "click" and nothing happens no eng turn over nothing then i go back and try again same thing happens or it might turn on after that. after a couple of tries. it does it mostly after it sits there for a bit. but it can happen after being on for a while. again any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

have you had this problem before?
how did you fix it?
how much to fix?
is it an easy fix?

http://www.toyotacelicas.com/forums/...most-time.html
Attached Thumbnails
HELP!! 92 celica starting problems HELP!! turn key and goes click most of the time-pix153.jpg   HELP!! 92 celica starting problems HELP!! turn key and goes click most of the time-pix151.jpg  
Old 06-17-2012, 01:36 PM   #2
revised
TrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: HM2
TrdSurgie's Tacoma Gallery
try a new battery
Old 06-17-2012, 01:38 PM   #3
Aight
Marines:
even if all the bells and whistles come on?
Old 06-17-2012, 01:39 PM   #4
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: K9 Handler
MonkeyProof's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to MonkeyProof Send a message via Skype™ to MonkeyProof
what does the battery and battery terminals look like? aer they corroded? are the battery terminals nice and secure on the battery posts? wiggle them and see if any of them are loose. maybe it's as simple the battery not having enough juice to turn the starter motor and you need a jump start.
Old 06-17-2012, 01:41 PM   #6
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: K9 Handler
MonkeyProof's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to MonkeyProof Send a message via Skype™ to MonkeyProof
if your battery is indeed dead now you will need to figure out why. once you you get it running i would suggest to go to a reputable mechanic and have the charging system tested. maybe the alternator is going out and not properly charging the battery, or it's just time to replace the battery. a typical battery will last a few years before replacing
Old 06-17-2012, 02:13 PM   #7
Aight
Marines:
ok checked the cables and terminals and they are not loose of corroded. i wana say i got the battery about jan of 2010 so i might just be the battery. here is a vid and a pix

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEpmHXxb7Zg?version=3
Attached Thumbnails
HELP!! 92 celica starting problems HELP!! turn key and goes click most of the time-imag0939.jpg  
Old 06-17-2012, 02:23 PM   #8
revised
TrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: HM2
TrdSurgie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sernaj64 View Post
ok checked the cables and terminals and they are not loose of corroded. i wana say i got the battery about jan of 2010 so i might just be the battery. here is a vid and a pix

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEpmHXxb7Zg?version=3

take the battery to autozone or the likes and have them test it.
Old 06-17-2012, 02:25 PM   #9
Aight
Marines:
any other options?? fixes??
Old 06-17-2012, 02:25 PM   #10
Aight
Marines:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrdSurgie View Post
take the battery to autozone or the likes and have them test it.
yeah im going to in a few min
Old 06-17-2012, 02:26 PM   #11
2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Grant
2ski4life7's Tacoma Gallery
Its most likely your starter. If everything powers on and it's not your battery then it's your starter. If that's not it could be your ignition switch. Had my corolla do the same thig except sometimes it would click and sometimes it would start. Replaced the starter and good as new.
Old 06-17-2012, 02:29 PM   #12
Aight
Marines:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ski4life7 View Post
Its most likely your starter. If everything powers on and it's not your battery then it's your starter. If that's not it could be your ignition switch. Had my corolla do the same thig except sometimes it would click and sometimes it would start. Replaced the starter and good as new.
yeah thats wh at happens it will click once twice three times shot even up to six then it starts
Old 06-17-2012, 02:31 PM   #13
O.F.
bb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: JFK Center, Fort Bragg, NC
bb609's Tacoma Gallery
Clean the battery terminals and cables, even if they look okay. It doesn't take much. Next would be starter solenoid IMO.
Old 06-17-2012, 02:32 PM   #14
0psi is a splendid one to behold0psi is a splendid one to behold0psi is a splendid one to behold0psi is a splendid one to behold0psi is a splendid one to behold0psi is a splendid one to behold
Name: Tommy
0psi's Tacoma Gallery
Go to toyota and get a new set of starter contacts (there cheap) and that should fix it.common problem on that car.
Old 06-17-2012, 02:48 PM   #15
Aight
Marines:
lol i heard coke does an awesome job of that
Old 06-18-2012, 07:42 AM   #16
CrutchfieldDarren has much to be proud ofCrutchfieldDarren has much to be proud ofCrutchfieldDarren has much to be proud ofCrutchfieldDarren has much to be proud ofCrutchfieldDarren has much to be proud ofCrutchfieldDarren has much to be proud ofCrutchfieldDarren has much to be proud ofCrutchfieldDarren has much to be proud ofCrutchfieldDarren has much to be proud of

Name: Darren
CrutchfieldDarren's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0psi View Post
Go to toyota and get a new set of starter contacts (there cheap) and that should fix it.common problem on that car.
Right on! I replaced the contacts and the plunger which hits and spins on the contacts as well on my old 00 Taco. This is a common fix for a lot o the japanese starters . Cheaper than a new starter.

May check with a local starter and alternator shop to see if they can either supply the parts or fix it for you.

Best luck!!
Old 06-18-2012, 09:21 PM   #17
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sernaj64 View Post
yeah thats wh at happens it will click once twice three times shot even up to six then it starts
This is key. Starter contacts will cause this symptom. VERY common on Toyota products and can be cheap to fix if you buy the contacts only from the dealership or an auto electrical shop. There is usually a number on the starter that they will need to get the right part.

It would be prudent to check the battery first. A quick way to do this is to turn on the headlights and hit the key. Have someone watch the headlights and see if they dim. If the battery is dead or weak, the lights should dim or go out. If everything stays bright, chances are good that the problem is in the cable connections or the starter contacts.