1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Supercharger questions

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by SeaPig173, Jun 22, 2012.

1. Jun 22, 2012 at 3:17 PM
    SeaPig173

SeaPig173 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    SE USA
    First off, with 70K on my rig, is adding a supercharger now going to cause many headaches? Am I going to stress a broken in engine more or less vs. a "new" engine.

Current options are URD an TRD superchargers, any others worth mentioning?

Can I run a snorkel kit with a s/c? Is that going to limit my intake too much?

What else besides the s/c will I need to include in this upgrade?

Lots of questions, I know, but your guidance is welcome!

Cheers,
    SP173

2. Jun 24, 2012 at 12:04 AM
    ImplicitlyAlberta

ImplicitlyAlberta VA6DCO

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    edmonton
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 Trail Rated, 16 Tundra CM TRD
    TC Uni Uppers, TC race lowers, TC shock tower gusset/ secondary shock hoop, Modified Pelfrey rear shock relocate, ATO shackle flip,radflo hydro bumps front and rear, Radflo 2.0 CO/ 14" rear, Arb rear air locker, ARB front bump/m8000, Road armor rear bump/m8000, FJ TransCase/ Twin sticks....other shit.
    I have done mucho research into the supercharger install. As for working abuse on a worked in engine i have heard nothing bad with this. I do not think you would have any issues unless you were maybe 150 000 k or up. That said Im not a mechanic either sooo, thats just what Ive heard. The supercharger uses the original intake airbox (stock factory install) and it is not recommended to change this, however I have seen some cold air intakes installed with a supercharger on a taco before. you can definitely install a snorkel on the stock air box with no ill effects to the s/c. With install of the s/c it changes sparkplugs, injectors, ecu programming and running only premium gas.( i have checked into this and a substitute octane booster fuel additive can be used when in areas with no premium fuel). You can also swap out your fuel pump for a higher psi output pump which i think toyota can provide. There are plenty of videos online that show the install being done. I cannot comment really on the stress a s/c would cause to the motor but I do know it was engineered for it so........I myself have looked into and debated this fantastic feature and I WILL be getting one soon into the future. I have 90000 km on my truck and I hope the last 600000 are endured with a supercharger haha. I think as long as you do your regular maintenance you will have no issues. Go for it dude!

3. Jun 24, 2012 at 8:03 AM
    SeaPig173

SeaPig173 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    SE USA
    IA,
    Thanks for the insight. It looks highly tempting!

Cheers,
    SP

Products Discussed in

To Top