Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

backup camera help

Old 03-28-2013, 10:05 AM   #21
penguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
penguins_cc's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to penguins_cc
It would be cool if it could somehow be attached to the center of the tire mount - so your view is looking out the center of the spare tire.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:16 AM   #22
JLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
JLink's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by penguins_cc View Post
It would be cool if it could somehow be attached to the center of the tire mount - so your view is looking out the center of the spare tire.
That would be pretty inconvenient IMO..

I'm mounting my camera just above the license plate in the center of my swing out so I can easily back up to a trailer, or see how close I can get to something without my spare tire hitting it.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:38 PM   #23
JLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JLink's Tacoma Gallery
got the new back up camera all wired up tonight.. took a lot longer than I anticipated.. tools were hiding and I fucked up my soft topper while backing into the garage with a floor jack in the bed with the handle sticking up.. hit the garage door and caved in the soft topper supports
Old 03-29-2013, 07:19 PM   #25
DueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
DueNorth's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLink View Post
got the new back up camera all wired up tonight.. took a lot longer than I anticipated.. tools were hiding and I fucked up my soft topper while backing into the garage with a floor jack in the bed with the handle sticking up.. hit the garage door and caved in the soft topper supports
Got pics of how it turned out? Probably better than my rush job...

Sorry to hear about your soft topper. Reminds me of when i backed outta my garage and kept my drivers door open a little to look. Well the door caught my vice on the work bench and dented and chipped the paint on the edge.
Old 03-30-2013, 05:33 AM   #26

JLink's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by woods247 View Post
Did you just splice the wires together? Anything special or just a cut a solder job?
the camera has 2 rca cables, which when you skin them give you 2 wires and 2 shielding wires. I took the power in wire and shield (ground) and ran them to my tail light reverse light. since the bulb has power and ground wires I just carefully skinned and soldered my camera wires to them to give the camera power when I put the truck in reverse.
then the other cable is the video out put and shield, which I had a buddy sit in my truck in reverse (with the truck just turned to on, not running) and tell me when I touched those wires to the correct wires on the stock camera wire harness. once I got that figured out i carefully skinned and soldered the new wires onto the old wires. this way if I ever need to get rid of the camera I can just cut the wires close to the solder and tape it up and be done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gylar View Post
Got pics of how it turned out? Probably better than my rush job...

Sorry to hear about your soft topper. Reminds me of when i backed outta my garage and kept my drivers door open a little to look. Well the door caught my vice on the work bench and dented and chipped the paint on the edge.
I dont but maybe I'll get a chance to take some today. what specifically would you like to see?

Oh man that sounded bad while I was reading it.. I thought you were going to say you took the door off!

Last night I needed to move the truck up a little bit so I could open the swing out in the garage, so I just put it in neutral and pushed it and figured it would roll slowly to a stop.. it kept going further than I wanted and I barely was able to squeeze in to hit the brake before the door hit the garage wall
Old 03-30-2013, 10:03 PM   #27
woods247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoods247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoods247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoods247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoods247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoods247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoods247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoods247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoods247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoods247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoods247 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

woods247's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
the camera has 2 rca cables, which when you skin them give you 2 wires and 2 shielding wires. I took the power in wire and shield (ground) and ran them to my tail light reverse light. since the bulb has power and ground wires I just carefully skinned and soldered my camera wires to them to give the camera power when I put the truck in reverse.
then the other cable is the video out put and shield, which I had a buddy sit in my truck in reverse (with the truck just turned to on, not running) and tell me when I touched those wires to the correct wires on the stock camera wire harness. once I got that figured out i carefully skinned and soldered the new wires onto the old wires. this way if I ever need to get rid of the camera I can just cut the wires close to the solder and tape it up and be done.
Thanks for the info. I just relocated my factory camera today. I mounted it in the top/middle of my license plate so it would clear my swingaway. I used a 3/4" hole saw and drilled through the license plate and my CBI bumper. RTVd everything so hopefully it stays put. I doubt our police will care about drilling the plate since it's no more obstructive than an aftermarket camera/bracket combo. Works great and I had plenty of wire after disconnecting and removing it from the tailgate handle. Thanks for the motivation! I've been wanting to do this for over a year..
Old 04-09-2013, 08:21 AM   #28
DueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
DueNorth's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I dont but maybe I'll get a chance to take some today. what specifically would you like to see?

Oh man that sounded bad while I was reading it.. I thought you were going to say you took the door off!

Last night I needed to move the truck up a little bit so I could open the swing out in the garage, so I just put it in neutral and pushed it and figured it would roll slowly to a stop.. it kept going further than I wanted and I barely was able to squeeze in to hit the brake before the door hit the garage wall
Sorry man, meant to respond earlier to your post. I was more wanting to see what camera you actually went with and did you hide the wiring in the swingarm itself? I really gotta get my hacky OEM camera out and install a nicer looking camera thats actually meant to mount on a flat surface.

I can't count how many times i've almost rolled my truck into the wall of the garage myself! But lucky you were able to hop in and get on the brakes in time. A couple years ago when i had the stock bumper on still i decided to back the truck into the garage, its a tight fit for me but regardless i did it anyways. So i go to close the garage door and since the front bumper is actually sitting above the sensors, as the door is coming down all i hear is a huge scratching sound and the garage door is having an issue closing. Oh shit! It totally got caught on the bumper, scratching the living shit out of it. Fuck me! That's NOT buffing out. lol Nothing good comes from parking in tight garages.... At least now i have real bumpers on the truck.
Old 03-11-2014, 08:31 PM   #29

JLink's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DueNorth View Post
Sorry man, meant to respond earlier to your post. I was more wanting to see what camera you actually went with and did you hide the wiring in the swingarm itself? I really gotta get my hacky OEM camera out and install a nicer looking camera thats actually meant to mount on a flat surface.

I can't count how many times i've almost rolled my truck into the wall of the garage myself! But lucky you were able to hop in and get on the brakes in time. A couple years ago when i had the stock bumper on still i decided to back the truck into the garage, its a tight fit for me but regardless i did it anyways. So i go to close the garage door and since the front bumper is actually sitting above the sensors, as the door is coming down all i hear is a huge scratching sound and the garage door is having an issue closing. Oh shit! It totally got caught on the bumper, scratching the living shit out of it. Fuck me! That's NOT buffing out. lol Nothing good comes from parking in tight garages.... At least now i have real bumpers on the truck.
Lol x2 about small garages. Mine is too tight. (Sorry for the way late response)

And I'm back at it again, broke the first camera so now I just ordered another and will have to go through this project again.

I like the idea someone mentioned of mounting the Oem camera in the license plate but I have the good up license plate hiding my trailer hitch, so that wouldn't work