Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

backup camera help

Old 06-28-2012, 11:02 AM   #1
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brutalguyracing's Tacoma Gallery
backup camera help

ok im thinking about getting a plate rear bumper with swing out tire carrier....
if i do that i will loose the function of my backup camera...and i love my backup camera......
so i was looking for a solution for this problem.....
was thinking about a license plate backup camera
was wondering if anyone has done this or has any better ideas......
if you have done this how did you tie it in to the existing rear view mirror screen....
thanks
Old 06-28-2012, 11:05 AM   #2
Purveyor of Fun
benbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ^
benbacher's Tacoma Gallery
I'm in the same boat, so subbed for interest.
I was thinking of having it mounted to the license plate frame, I've seen it done before and as far as I can tell it's the best permanent solution. I thought about maybe mounting it to the canopy but then I'd lose it when the canopy came off.
Old 06-28-2012, 03:53 PM   #3
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bump
Old 06-28-2012, 03:56 PM   #4
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
Prolly your best bet

http://compare.ebay.com/like/2704782...Types&var=sbar
Old 06-28-2012, 04:00 PM   #5
coffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

coffeesnob's Tacoma Gallery
do you really use it?
Old 06-28-2012, 04:05 PM   #6
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeesnob View Post
do you really use it?
The backup camera? I have the one built into my 2011 and I use it every single day. When the boss got a stupid Ford F350 I installed a license plate one and review mirror that had a monitor in it. Easy install, cheap, works great.
Old 06-28-2012, 04:06 PM   #7
BIG DADDY

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeesnob View Post
do you really use it?
yes do you read much
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aw9d View Post
The backup camera? I have the one built into my 2011 and I use it every single day. When the boss got a stupid Ford F350 I installed a license plate one and review mirror that had a monitor in it. Easy install, cheap, works great.
how did you tie it in with the existing rear view mirror screen
Old 06-28-2012, 04:28 PM   #8
That one guy

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalguyracing View Post
yes do you read much

The kit I got came with a review mirror that clipped on the stock mirror. It was from cosco for 200$ with license palate frame and mirror. Just need wire to power the camera and they supplied the cable for the picture.

There was a post a few weeks back about someone tapping into the stock review mirror with an after market camera. If you search you should be able to find it.

Other wise I'd see if you can take apart the camera, extend the wires and just fit it into a license plate frame. You could build one out of some fiberglass maybe?
Old 06-28-2012, 04:30 PM   #9
BIG DADDY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aw9d View Post
The kit I got came with a review mirror that clipped on the stock mirror. It was from cosco for 200$ with license palate frame and mirror. Just need wire to power the camera and they supplied the cable for the picture.

There was a post a few weeks back about someone tapping into the stock review mirror with an after market camera. If you search you should be able to find it.

Other wise I'd see if you can take apart the camera, extend the wires and just fit it into a license plate frame. You could build one out of some fiberglass maybe?
Old 06-29-2012, 03:34 AM   #10
coffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

coffeesnob's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
yes do you read much

I just don't find it very useful. I wouldn't trust it if I thought something may be behind the truck just too small of a display and rounded too much.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:54 PM   #11
DueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
DueNorth's Tacoma Gallery
I'm really missing my back up camera due to my spare tire gate as well. PM sent.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:04 PM   #12
Thin Blue Line
ProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
ProForce's Tacoma Gallery
The harness for the rear view camera is just above the interior glove box. iirc, its a 4 pin plug. I know it has a red and white wire in it but I don't remember the rest. You can strip down an RCA from your aftermarket camera and attach it that harness. It will work fine.
Old 07-12-2012, 06:18 AM   #13
DueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
DueNorth's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProForce View Post
The harness for the rear view camera is just above the interior glove box. iirc, its a 4 pin plug. I know it has a red and white wire in it but I don't remember the rest. You can strip down an RCA from your aftermarket camera and attach it that harness. It will work fine.
Could i not just splice into the harness in the tailgate instead of behind the glove box? Seems much easier. I'm an electrical noob tho so don't mind me...
Old 07-14-2012, 04:24 AM   #14
Thin Blue Line
ProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
ProForce's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gylar View Post
Could i not just splice into the harness in the tailgate instead of behind the glove box? Seems much easier. I'm an electrical noob tho so don't mind me...
Sorry I meant interior fuse box, not glove box. And Im not sure about splicing at the tailgate... iirc there is something different about they wiring there, but I could be wrong. You need to take off the tailgate cover and test each wire
Old 07-14-2012, 04:28 AM   #15
BIG DADDY

You ca pull the tailgate off and the wiring clip there is the wires for the backup camera.....and test them there.....I have the color codes I got from another thread on here...ill post them here when I can find them again
Old 07-14-2012, 05:01 AM   #16
MMMMM Taco's
Taco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Taco-NB's Tacoma Gallery
The stock camera is 6v for some strange reason.

Can't you move the stock camera to a new location?
Old 07-14-2012, 05:21 AM   #17
BIG DADDY

i got these color codes from another thread on here....
1- CY- (WHITE) CAMERA VIDEO NEGATIVE
2- CY- (RED) CAMERA VIDEO POSITIVE
3- CGND (BLUE) CAMERA GROUND "SHIELD"
4- CB+ (BLACK) CAMERA POWER

HOPE THIS HELPS
thank this guy this is where i got my info from....
rep to you sir
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/4-c...ra-pinout.html
Old 03-28-2013, 06:30 AM   #18
JLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
JLink's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
i got these color codes from another thread on here....
1- CY- (WHITE) CAMERA VIDEO NEGATIVE
2- CY- (RED) CAMERA VIDEO POSITIVE
3- CGND (BLUE) CAMERA GROUND "SHIELD"
4- CB+ (BLACK) CAMERA POWER

HOPE THIS HELPS
thank this guy this is where i got my info from....
rep to you sir
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/4-c...ra-pinout.html
So if I use the reverse light for the reverse signal, and ground the negative, that takes care of my 12+ and 12- for my new camera, then I have the yellow RCA cable that I need to tie into the stock wire harness. Just skin the RCA cable and solder it to the red video positive wire on the stock harness? Do I need to do anything with the shield in the RCA cable? Tie that into the blue wire on the stock harness or is it not necessary?
Old 03-28-2013, 08:02 AM   #19
AKA ::1
127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 12th TIS
127.0.0.1's Tacoma Gallery
just move the stock camera and mcgyver up a bracket for it
Old 03-28-2013, 09:29 AM   #20
JLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
JLink's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
just move the stock camera and mcgyver up a bracket for it
Stock camera is in the tailgate handle. Way easier to buy a $15 back up camera and spend half an hour wiring it up... And have it not look dumb