Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Application of Fluid Film

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-21-2012, 12:38 PM   #21
Please keep TW beautiful: search & stay on topic
BBYE V8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBYE V8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBYE V8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBYE V8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBYE V8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBYE V8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBYE V8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBYE V8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBYE V8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBYE V8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBYE V8 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
BBYE V8's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbadwrench View Post
... at $15 they are likely gravity feed guns, which won't work with thick products like Fluid Film. You need a pressurized feed pot.
You are right, those cheap $15 guns are gravity feed. I'll re-edit my post above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbadwrench View Post
However, I just did a quick search on Amazon and found the undercoating gun I own and have used many times, for $64. It's a very high quality unit. However like I said before, with fluids like Fluid Film, it does tend to splatter badly instead of leaving an even spray film like a paint gun would.

http://www.amazon.com/Automotive-Aut...sim_sbs_auto_4
Nice find, I've never been unhappy with anything I've purchased from Eastwood. Besides the splatter problem you mentioned all undercoat guns will have, it's kinda pricey at $64; it could be a justifiable expense if used a lot. But I was hoping a cheaper way for to spray it on, something that is cheap enough to use only for Fluid Film and its yearly re-application. Any ideas?
Old 07-23-2012, 08:43 AM   #22
Dano50 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDano50 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDano50 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDano50 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDano50 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDano50 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDano50 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDano50 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDano50 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDano50 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDano50 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Dano50's Tacoma Gallery
This is the answer for the undercoating gun: http://www.kellsportproducts.com/
Old 07-26-2012, 07:42 AM   #23
bob1008 is on a distinguished road

bob1008's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up Fluid Film Undercoating Guns

Hello,
I'm Bob from Kellsport Products. We have received several calls from Tacomaworld members so I thought I'd just stop in, say hello, and talk a bit about Fluid Film undercoating guns. We have had a ton of experience spraying Fluid Film over the past 8 years, and we supply Fluid Film to undercoating applicator locations all over the country. Fluid Film "NAS" formula can be a bit tricky when it comes to spray guns because the viscosity changes so rapidly. Fluid Film is thixotropic, which means it will get thicker as it sits, yet thin out immediately when shaken or stirred.
Below are a couple tips for spraying Fluid Film.
a) Store at room temp.
b) Stir or shake really well before you transfer into the gun cannister or container. Shake again before you spray.
c) There is no need to thin Fluid Film. To add another product to thin out Fluid Film will only make it less resistant to washoff. Stirring Fluid Film is more than adequate to make it easily sprayable.

Most standard spray guns will work with Fluid Film and get the job done. Some better than others. If you have a gun, give it a try.. it may work fine. We find that 60-80 psi works well, but every compressor output is different and you just need to find what works best. Personally, I put a small regulator on the gun end, and find that about 100 psi works great for me.

Over the years we have had dozens of guns that we tested and supplied to dealers. We have narrowed it down to (2) guns that have been modified by the manufacturer's to work specifically with Fluid Film NAS.
We feel that these spray guns have been "tweaked" as much as possible to get the best possible solution for Fluid Film applications. You can check them out at the link below:
http://www.kellsportproducts.com/undercoatingguns.html

As a small "thank you" for your interest in Fluid Film, we will offer all TacomaWorld members a 15% discount on all Fluid Film Products. Simply enter coupon code "tacoma" at checkout, and your discount will be applied.

If I can be of any help at all, please feel free to contact me.
Old 07-28-2012, 10:43 AM   #24
BBYE V8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBYE V8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBYE V8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBYE V8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBYE V8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBYE V8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBYE V8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBYE V8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBYE V8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBYE V8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBYE V8 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BBYE V8's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob1008 View Post
As a small "thank you" for your interest in Fluid Film, we will offer all TacomaWorld members a 15% discount on all Fluid Film Products. Simply enter coupon code "tacoma" at checkout, and your discount will be applied.

If I can be of any help at all, please feel free to contact me.
Wow, thanks Bob! That's a good deal that I hope a lot of TW members take advantage of.
Old 07-28-2012, 10:53 AM   #25
I sell fishing and fishing accessories
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
Badass, i am going to look into doing my frame!
Old 07-28-2012, 01:08 PM   #26
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Dammit, I just ordered the undercoating kit last week!
Old 08-02-2012, 08:30 AM   #27

bob1008's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Dammit, I just ordered the undercoating kit last week!
Next time you need to order send me a pm. I'll get you the double discount. Thanks very much for trying the kit. Please let us know how it works out.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:36 AM   #28
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob1008 View Post
Next time you need to order send me a pm. I'll get you the double discount. Thanks very much for trying the kit. Please let us know how it works out.
Thanks! No worries though, I'm happy with the products I got and the price I paid. I figure the free sample from Fluid Film and free shipping through you guys was worth it
Old 08-02-2012, 09:00 AM   #29
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
Ordered! Thank you.
Old 08-02-2012, 02:02 PM   #30
Johnny2stroke is on a distinguished road

Johnny2stroke's Tacoma Gallery
Good job figuring out how to apply it without a air powered undercoat gun.

This stuff is the ultimate in rust proofing period. It's ability to "creep" is amazing. I just applied some to my lower A pillars and cab corners. The only downside to this stuff is you may need to re-apply in areas that see allot of water splashing ie wheel wells, rear suspension etc.
Old 08-06-2012, 10:33 AM   #31
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the quick ship of my kit!
It was awesome, love the little strips you use as packing material.
Reminds me of the little cleaning strips we'd use cleaning weapons when I was in the service.
Top Notch service thanks again.
Old 10-28-2012, 04:04 PM   #32
carbonyl is on a distinguished road

carbonyl's Tacoma Gallery
I have used Fluid Film for years and it is amazing. I have tried many different was to apply it. After using siphon type sprayers and undercoat sprayers that put this expensive product, on much too thick I found what (at least for me) is the best. I have a cheap touch up siphon sprayer with an aluminum bowl. I fill this with the thick waxy fluid film then carefully heat the bowl with a propane torch. It looks like candle wax melting and becomes a uniform dark opaque color like maple syrup only it is very thin and easy to spray. You donít need to get it hot enough to burn you just liquefy it. It sprays like paint and the overspray gets everywhere you canít reach directly.
Old 12-01-2012, 12:07 AM   #33
ShouldBEasy is a splendid one to beholdShouldBEasy is a splendid one to beholdShouldBEasy is a splendid one to beholdShouldBEasy is a splendid one to beholdShouldBEasy is a splendid one to beholdShouldBEasy is a splendid one to beholdShouldBEasy is a splendid one to behold

ShouldBEasy's Tacoma Gallery
Definitely hitting up your discount code Bob! Thanks!
Old 12-06-2012, 03:29 PM   #34

bob1008's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up Fluid Film Undercoat kits in Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Is the product available for purchase in Canada ?
Yes. we have a distributor for the Fluid Film undercoat kits, spray guns, and aerosol wands in Canada. They ship all over Canada.

www.undercoatmycar.ca
Old 03-24-2013, 02:47 AM   #35
Adam Baum is on a distinguished road

Air Force:
Adam Baum's Tacoma Gallery
Just making sure I can find this thread later. Hopefully someone in the Destin, FL area can help.
Old 04-07-2013, 01:23 PM   #36

bob1008's Tacoma Gallery
Tacoma members Fluid Film discount

Just a reminder to use your Tacoma discount code when ordering Fluid Film.

At checkout.. enter "tacoma" in the coupon code field. Tacoma members get a 10% discount and free shipping on all orders over $49.50.

www.kellsportproducts.com
Old 04-08-2013, 09:09 AM   #37

BBYE V8's Tacoma Gallery
Hey Bob, thanks again for the discount you are offering TW!

I see that Kellsport offers a new product that would be GREAT for the front (fully boxed) section of the Tacoma frame:

It would be perfect for inside any truck with a fully boxed frame or even inside the rockers. Eastwood had a similar hose & sprayer for their Internal Frame Coating product; it worked great, but I would have rather used Fluid Film than a paint-like product.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:22 AM   #38

bob1008's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBYE V8 View Post
Hey Bob, thanks again for the discount you are offering TW!

I see that Kellsport offers a new product that would be GREAT for the front (fully boxed) section of the Tacoma frame:

It would be perfect for inside any truck with a fully boxed frame or even inside the rockers. .
Thank you for mentioning this wand. It's 24" and has a 360į nozzle at the end. It snaps onto the 11.75 oz. Fluid Film spray cans. This wand was developed to work with the Fluid Film AS11 viscosity. It does a great job of covering the entire surface of frame rails, etc. The link below is a good video of the wand in action:
http://youtu.be/KzJeEPtvwqw

Here's a new discount code for Tacoma members. This will get you 10% off on a case of AS11 cans, and a FREE EXTENSION WAND, & free shipping. Use "FF10WAND" in the coupon code box.

Thanks again for your support of Fluid Film products.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:55 AM   #39
jeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jesse
jeepdude's Tacoma Gallery
So Fluid Film is brown out of the can...does it dry to a black color? Clear? bbye's frame has a nice black coating, or is that the eastwood product's fnish?
Old 04-10-2013, 05:19 AM   #40

bob1008's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepdude View Post
So Fluid Film is brown out of the can...does it dry to a black color? Clear? bbye's frame has a nice black coating, or is that the eastwood product's fnish?
Fluid Film is a straw color in the can, but when applied it is fairly clear. Fluid Film does not dry. It goes on wet and stay's wet. Fluid Film remains soft and active, migrating to inaccessible areas to provide complete protection for a full winter season. Fluid Film is very thick (about the viscosity of a latex paint) and will not wash off easily.

Products Discussed in this Thread