Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Application of Fluid Film

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-10-2013, 05:50 AM   #41
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepdude View Post
So Fluid Film is brown out of the can...does it dry to a black color? Clear? bbye's frame has a nice black coating, or is that the eastwood product's fnish?
It gets black on a vehicle frame because it collects road grime. I sprayed my receiver and it's doing the same thing.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:06 AM   #42
burair is on a distinguished road
burair's Tacoma Gallery
I don't have access to an air compressor. Would any of those electric sprayers work for applying the undercoating?
Old 04-10-2013, 10:21 AM   #43
Look away, I'm hideous!
joneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Johnny-5
joneill03's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by burair View Post
I don't have access to an air compressor. Would any of those electric sprayers work for applying the undercoating?
Just get the attachment wand and use with the spray cans in places you cant reach. That is what I am planning on doing.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:36 AM   #44
bob1008 is on a distinguished road

bob1008's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by burair View Post
Yes, just about any time of airless paint sprayer will work. Some better than others.... but I have not heard of any paint sprayer that will not work. The Wagner sprayers or Harbor Freight sprayers have all been reported to work well with Fluid Film. Fluid Film NAS formula is about the same viscosity as a latex paint. You can see the viscosity of NAS at the link below:

http://www.kellsportproducts.com/nasviscosity.html
Old 04-11-2013, 06:48 AM   #45

bob1008's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
It gets black on a vehicle frame because it collects road grime. I sprayed my receiver and it's doing the same thing.
What color is your receiver ? Fluid Film is solvent free so there is no evaporation process, which prevents it from getting sticky or tacky. You will get a light dusting on the outer surface, but it will not build up. I believe the frame pictures earlier in the thread were coated black. That is not from the Fluid Film.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:14 AM   #46
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob1008 View Post
What color is your receiver ? Fluid Film is solvent free so there is no evaporation process, which prevents it from getting sticky or tacky. You will get a light dusting on the outer surface, but it will not build up. I believe the frame pictures earlier in the thread were coated black. That is not from the Fluid Film.
No, I wasn't implying that the Fluid Film turns black over time, but that road grime, brake dust, etc eventually seem to stick to the Fluid Film and make it look very dark. My receiver was orange and rusty when I applied the Fluid Film and now, quite a while later, it's back to a very dark color and if you touch where the Fluid Film was applied, all the dirt, grime, etc comes off leaving your finger black.

I also coated a section of black iron propane line that sticks out of my house with the Fluid Film. Since that is not exposed to the same road spray, that application has not changed color at all.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:07 PM   #47
Crosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: FMF Corpsman
Crosis's Tacoma Gallery
How long before its rust protection wears off and it needs to be reapplied?
Old 04-13-2013, 04:35 AM   #48

bob1008's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosis View Post
FLUID FILM penetrates to the base metal, providing a lasting, protective barrier from the corrosive effects of salts, calcium and sodium chloride, pesticides and fertilizers. Offering an easy "no drip" application, FLUID FILM offers a cheaper and more effective alternative to the standard hard-underbody coatings. Protecting undercarriages from metal deterioration, FLUID FILM also remains soft and pliable, making it self-healing, non-drying, and impossible to crack. FLUID FILM migrates to inaccessible areas, providing up to a full year of solid protection.

Many of our undercoating locations tell me that they treat their customers vehicles every Oct / Nov and it easily gets them through the season.
Old 04-15-2013, 03:58 PM   #50
Please keep TW beautiful: search & stay on topic
BBYE V8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBYE V8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBYE V8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBYE V8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBYE V8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBYE V8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBYE V8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBYE V8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBYE V8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBYE V8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBYE V8 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
BBYE V8's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepdude View Post
So Fluid Film is brown out of the can...does it dry to a black color? Clear? bbye's frame has a nice black coating, or is that the eastwood product's fnish?
It is straw or brown in color. But when thin it's pretty much transparent. What you see in the pictures I posted of freshly applied Fluid Film is the factory color of the Tacoma frame: black. If you look at the pictures of the coated floorboards, you will see they are silver (my truck is silver), with a slight brownish tint of the Fluid Film. Even after a year of driving floorboards did not turn black with any road grime; look at my recent pictures in the first post. After over a year of use: my silver floorboards are still silver, just a lot dirtier. BUT: if you rub your finger on mine, you will get a finger full of very dirty Fluid Film...almost as black as grease.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosis View Post
I have had mine on for a year and 5 months; it's still on there but wearing thin on the parts of the frame that are closest to the road. A little surface rust is forming on the bolt heads. I wish I had done some touch up application after one year; I simply ran out of time before this past winter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwzteD View Post
What's the best way to re apply? Spray on top or remove old layer? And if so how.
I just plan on blasting the underside of the truck with the hose to clean off dirt, grime, gravel etc., that has collected over the year, then letting it dry a day and spray on a new coat of Fluid Film the same way I did the first time.
Old 06-06-2013, 07:15 PM   #51
amberger is on a distinguished road
amberger's Tacoma Gallery
How many aerosol cans do you need to do a Tacoma?
Old 06-07-2013, 04:47 AM   #52
Oscarbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedOscarbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedOscarbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedOscarbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedOscarbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedOscarbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedOscarbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedOscarbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedOscarbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedOscarbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedOscarbob is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: E4 0311
Name: Bob
Oscarbob's Tacoma Gallery
If your willing to take your time and stretch the fluid film out you could do an entire truck with 2 cans.

By "stretch out" I mean spraying a little and then spreading it out with a foam or bristle paint brush and spreading it all over for an even coat. A little bit of FF goes a long way, you will be surprised.
Old 06-10-2013, 01:59 PM   #53
Big tars, little/no bed.
NwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mark
NwiTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Would this be a good thing to coat a set of coilovers with so the adjusting nuts stay free and dont seize? Also maybe it will protect the finish on the shocks?
Old 06-12-2013, 09:20 PM   #54
jimbo808 is on a distinguished road

jimbo808's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NwiTACO View Post
Would this be a good thing to coat a set of coilovers with so the adjusting nuts stay free and dont seize? Also maybe it will protect the finish on the shocks?
That's what i have been doing for my coilovers, just don't apply too much or it'll attract too much dirt.

How should i remove fluid film inside the front of the frame where it's boxed up?
I already applied fluid film in there but i want to apply the eastwood internal frame coating as i have some light surface rust inside the frame, then spray some fluid film again.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:29 PM   #55
Recker is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecker is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecker is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecker is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecker is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecker is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecker is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecker is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecker is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecker is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecker is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Recker
Recker's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome, I'm getting some!! Thanks OP
Old 07-28-2013, 04:12 PM   #56
MACHINE is on a distinguished road

MACHINE's Tacoma Gallery
Just about to purchase this..Is the stuff in the aerosol can the same as the gallon jug? The stuff out of the OP's gallon container looks thick can't imagine it coming out with aerosol that thick..
Old 07-28-2013, 09:05 PM   #57
Please keep TW beautiful: search & stay on topic
BBYE V8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBYE V8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBYE V8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBYE V8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBYE V8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBYE V8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBYE V8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBYE V8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBYE V8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBYE V8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBYE V8 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
BBYE V8's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo808 View Post
How should i remove fluid film inside the front of the frame where it's boxed up?
I already applied fluid film in there but i want to apply the eastwood internal frame coating as i have some light surface rust inside the frame, then spray some fluid film again.
I never thought much about how to remove this stuff. I'm sure lots of degreasers will work with the help of a brush, but you can't brush inside the boxed section of the frame. Try brake parts cleaner, it's one of the most effective degreasers I know of. But I don't think even that will remove Fluid Film completely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACHINE View Post
Just about to purchase this..Is the stuff in the aerosol can the same as the gallon jug? The stuff out of the OP's gallon container looks thick can't imagine it coming out with aerosol that thick..
Same stuff different viscosity. The Fluid Film "NAS" that comes in buckets is thicker than the aerosol. I think the aresol cans are the easiest to use, the jugs are the most cost effective.
Old 07-29-2013, 12:14 PM   #58
MACHINE is on a distinguished road

MACHINE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBYE V8 View Post
I never thought much about how to remove this stuff. I'm sure lots of degreasers will work with the help of a brush, but you can't brush inside the boxed section of the frame. Try brake parts cleaner, it's one of the most effective degreasers I know of. But I don't think even that will remove Fluid Film completely.

Same stuff different viscosity. The Fluid Film "NAS" that comes in buckets is thicker than the aerosol. I think the aresol cans are the easiest to use, the jugs are the most cost effective.
Thanks, I am going to give it a try.
Old 07-30-2013, 05:44 AM   #59

bob1008's Tacoma Gallery
To remove Fluid Film

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo808 View Post
Below is a link for Fluid Film removal instructions.

"Fluid Film can also be removed by warm water detergent wash or with a commercial-grade biodegradable cleaner. When choosing a cleaner, one formulated to remove tough grease and grime deposits is advised."

http://www.kellsportproducts.com/removefluidfilm.html
Old 07-30-2013, 05:48 AM   #60

bob1008's Tacoma Gallery
Fluid Film NAS (gallon) vs AS (aerosol spray)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACHINE View Post
Is the stuff in the aerosol can the same as the gallon jug? The stuff out of the OP's gallon container looks thick can't imagine it coming out with aerosol that thick..
Below is a link to a description of the many Fluid FIlm formulas:

Fluid Film Aerosol Spray "AS"
"When Fluid Film NAS is combined with a propellent and put in a spray can, it becomes Fluid Film "AS" "NAS" and "AS" are the same. "

http://www.kellsportproducts.com/fluidfilmformulas.html

Products Discussed in this Thread