Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Application of Fluid Film

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-01-2013, 07:11 AM   #61
bwanamukubwa is on a distinguished road
Firefighter:
bwanamukubwa's Tacoma Gallery
Is there anyway i could get a pint to experiment on another application i had in mind? If it's good, what's a local place to buy gallon sizes? I'm in E.Tennessee.
Old 08-01-2013, 07:14 AM   #62
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwanamukubwa View Post
Is there anyway i could get a pint to experiment on another application i had in mind? If it's good, what's a local place to buy gallon sizes? I'm in E.Tennessee.
Kellsport Products, they sell the stuff in bulk.
Old 08-02-2013, 07:12 PM   #63
Always outnumbered, never outgunned
Agent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Agent Smith's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Kellsport Products, they sell the stuff in bulk.
Are you sticking with the Fluid Film Pugga? I retract my earlier endorsement of Eastwood's HD Anti-Rust. From another frame rusting thread where I posted my latest development....
The more I read about Fluid Film, I think that's the best solution at this stage in my truck's life.

It's up front, right near each catalytic converter. Surprisingly, mine still has black frame paint and looks great there. It's the rails going straight back and the trailer hitch that have scaled on mine.

I'm going to retract my recommendation for Eastwood's HD Anti-rust. I had done the rear third of my truck last month and with summer activities, put the rest off. I'm glad I did! I went out to do some more spraying today and parts of the frame were flaking the anti rust off. Reading the makeup, it's an oily paraffin wax that's been broken down by a carrier to be sprayed.

So I spent the better part of two hours using a scraper and getting as much scale off as I could. I'm not wire wheeling the frame and spraying paint. I did an experiment on my running board brackets a few years ago. I wire brushed and sanded the brackets and cleaned them with Eastwood's PRE cleaner, then used Eastwood's rust encapsulator, then used Eastwood's Extreme Chassis Black. After winter was over I checked it.

Most of the paint and encapsulator along with it came off after one season. I checked again today. The remaining paint and encapsulator were blistered, so I poked it with the corner of the scraper. Giant rust blister! My theory is the remaining paint held the moisture against the metal bracket, accelerating the oxidizing process.

I'm not going to wire wheel a large portion of my frame, only to have most of my work come off in spring and the remaining part hold more moisture against the metal.

The best that you can do is slow the rust down. I'm just going to spray Fluid Film over my frame, including the rust that I've scraped down to "good" metal. Supposedly the Fluid Film penetrates the pores of the rust, inhibiting oxidation. If I have to reapply every year, I guess I will.

The time to have my truck rustproofed would have been when it was new 8 years ago. Although any new vehicle I've ever had, hasn't rusted like this.
Old 10-17-2013, 02:18 PM   #64
Coolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Coolerman's Tacoma Gallery
I finally sprayed my frame today. Used the pro gun Kellsport Products supplied. I used a cheap compressor that I own and it performed great.
I sprayed pretty heavy and used about half a gallon. I used an old milk carton as a funnel for pouring the product into the smaller spray canister. I do wish I had ordered the extension wand for the harder to reach places.

Old 10-17-2013, 02:44 PM   #65
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
I use a Wagner electric paint gun it makes a mist that pretty goes every where bottom line it works and works well. I spray every thing under the truck backing plates for the rear brakes any bolt that I may want to get off 5 years from now springs if it needs to move later in life it gets sprayed.
Old 11-02-2013, 03:28 PM   #66
dogmeat is on a distinguished road
dogmeat's Tacoma Gallery
How does fluid film compare to lps 3? On paper they sound fairly similar. Searching around I found this thread with some pictures that make it look like lps3 way outperformed ff. curious if there's something off there:

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/thr...ve-spray/page2
Old 11-03-2013, 04:52 PM   #67
Agent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I finished spraying my frame and the floor of the cab with FF today. Smell isn't too bad, reminds me of a fresh box of bandaids. For those of you who have applied it via spray gun, do you clean the gun and different application wands? Or since it doesn't dry, do you just leave it until next year?

If you do clean your guns, what are you using for clean up? Water mixed with.....?
Old 11-05-2013, 06:22 AM   #68
jeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jesse
jeepdude's Tacoma Gallery
I put this off too damn long...maybe. Since it's not paint, can I apply FF in cooler weather, say like temps in the 40's?
Old 11-05-2013, 06:36 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepdude View Post
I put this off too damn long...maybe. Since it's not paint, can I apply FF in cooler weather, say like temps in the 40's?
I did. Went on fine, but before I put the spray bottle on the gun, I filled a pan with hot tap water and let it sit in the water while I set the truck on the ramps.

If you are using the spray cans of FF instead of bulk application, just do the same with the cans. I did not put the pot of water on the stove, just hot tap water. It seemed to spray great.
Old 11-05-2013, 06:53 AM   #70
rhowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhowell is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Robert
rhowell's Tacoma Gallery
I love FF. I just started using it to prepare for the winters. Picked up 3 cans at Canadian tire and covered the frame everywhere I could reach. 3 months later and the frame looks like new. I plan on doing this twice a year. Spring and fall. I really need to find that wand attachment next time. We spend so much on making our trucks look good but between FF and my westin mats these things make me feel good when I spend the money.
Old 11-05-2013, 06:53 AM   #71
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Smith View Post
Are you sticking with the Fluid Film Pugga? I retract my earlier endorsement of Eastwood's HD Anti-Rust. From another frame rusting thread where I posted my latest development....
Sorry, didn't check back to this thread. I will end up going with Fluid Film but I did some other prep work first. The rust was getting sort of bad and I couldn't see just spraying over it with Fluid Film. I used a wire wheel, got off all the flaking stuff, cleaned up the frame a bit and hit it with some Rustoleum rusty metal paint. I will coat that with Fluid Film for some extra protection and just have to keep up with it annually.
Old 11-05-2013, 08:31 AM   #72
jeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jesse
jeepdude's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Smith View Post
I did not put the pot of water on the stove, just hot tap water. It seemed to spray great.
That's a smart idea...Tho some folks might want to use the gas grill instead!
Old 11-10-2013, 01:38 PM   #73
fixnfly is a glorious beacon of lightfixnfly is a glorious beacon of lightfixnfly is a glorious beacon of lightfixnfly is a glorious beacon of lightfixnfly is a glorious beacon of lightfixnfly is a glorious beacon of light

fixnfly's Tacoma Gallery
I just used 6 cans on my truck this weekend.
Old 11-12-2013, 11:54 AM   #74
kryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kryten's Tacoma Gallery
Did anyone used just Fluid Film aerosol cans with the new 24" extension wand with 360 nozzle to coat the boxed sections of the frame?

I was planning to buy the 'Pro' kit with all the wands, but I'm running short on funds lately.
Old 12-02-2013, 01:43 PM   #75
tacoma4 has much to be proud oftacoma4 has much to be proud oftacoma4 has much to be proud oftacoma4 has much to be proud oftacoma4 has much to be proud oftacoma4 has much to be proud oftacoma4 has much to be proud oftacoma4 has much to be proud oftacoma4 has much to be proud of
tacoma4's Tacoma Gallery
I used the 14" extension on the spray cans and had no problem getting all the boxed sections. There are plenty of holes to get the whole length.

Does the smell ever go away? Mine reeks big time. I can smell it a few cars away in he parking lot and is inside the can until a few miles of driving with the fan on.
Old 12-02-2013, 06:10 PM   #76

The smell went away in about a week for me
Old 12-19-2013, 08:32 PM   #77
mr05taco is on a distinguished road
Name: John
mr05taco's Tacoma Gallery
Would I be ok just heating it up then funneling it into an old windex bottle? Or should just buy the pro kit? Also, are there any stores in south jersey that would sell a gallon can?
Old 12-20-2013, 12:10 AM   #78
gearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: training officer
Name: TW certified keyboard mechanic
gearcruncher's Tacoma Gallery
Fluid film covers brand new transmission parts when they are delivered to the shop . The parts ordered are usually in a clear bag and covered with fluid film , Its good stuff .
Just remember to remove it from flywheels and pressure plates before installing .
Brake kleen seems to work best for removing fluid film .
If you guys are sending metal parts anywhere , this is by far the best stuff to guarantee a rust free delivery .
No doubt in my mind why people use it on their frames . Great product for sure !!
Old 12-20-2013, 03:33 AM   #79
Demanufacturer
Archimedes will become famous soon enoughArchimedes will become famous soon enough

Archimedes's Tacoma Gallery
mr05taco - you can check a Grainger store for the gallon can if you have one around you. They sell lots of industrial stuff, tools, etc. That's where I ended up getting mine here in northern VT. They also sell the spray cans too.

Arc'
Old 12-20-2013, 05:35 AM   #80
Coolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Coolerman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr05taco View Post
Would I be ok just heating it up then funneling it into an old windex bottle? Or should just buy the pro kit? Also, are there any stores in south jersey that would sell a gallon can?
I was hesitant to order the pro kit from Kellsport, but I am so glad that I did. I only had a cheapo air compressor and wasn't sure how well it would work. I set my air pressure to around 80psi and it sprayed beautifully. The kit was super easy to use and I will continue to use it for years to come. I would recommend to order the extension wand too. I only used about a half a gallon to spray my frame. I will be hitting it again in the spring and I will order another gallon next fall. Good luck with whatever you decide.

One more thing, I live in upstate NY and my kit came in just a couple of days. I was surprised how fast the shipping was.

Products Discussed in this Thread