1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

HELP! whats wrong with my taco????

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Taco Erik, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Jul 27, 2012 at 8:42 PM
    Taco Erik

Taco Erik [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Phoenix, ARIZONA 602
    Vehicle:
    2004 tacoma totalled, new 2005 Tacoma
    3" toytec coils with Bilstein 5100 shocks, camburg uca's, 1" AAL, Uws toolbox, 12" kicker sub system, flowmaster super 40s, more mods to come new build
    something is wrong with my tacoma its got me worried im hoping someone may know whats wrong based on my description, it is having troub;e accelerating, especially after i have been driving for a long distance, when i am goin and let off the gas then press on the gas again the truck does nothing, i have to pump it several times before it finally kicks back in and continues to accelerate, it also will do it when i come to a dead stop and try to accelerate it doesnt move then i put the pedal to the floor still nothing then pump it several times until it finally accelerates, it is getting worse, it used to do it very minorly, and if some one else drove it they wouldnt notice, but if something is minorly different with your taco you know instantly, now it does it quite frequently? i have recently changed the oil, replace the fuel filter, checked the diagnostics and no codes are being thrown, im not sure what to do or whats wrong any ideas?

2. Jul 27, 2012 at 8:47 PM
    HomerTaco

HomerTaco also HomerTaco Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco ...................................................................................................................................................... Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    I'd take a look at the throttle body & cables... Something's not 100% there...

3. Jul 27, 2012 at 8:51 PM
    Taco Erik

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Phoenix, ARIZONA 602
    Vehicle:
    3" toytec coils with Bilstein 5100 shocks, camburg uca's, 1" AAL, Uws toolbox, 12" kicker sub system, flowmaster super 40s, more mods to come new build
    i can tell somethings not right and its buggin me. im hoping someone else had the same issue and got it fixed and how?
    but i will thanks

4. Jul 28, 2012 at 6:46 AM
    03is300ztk

03is300ztk Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Somewhere in the hills NC
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma 4X4
    Grillcraft, with front and rear bumper/bed in the works.
    Well answer this,

when you put the "pedal to the floor". is the engine reving up?

If it doesnt then you have an issue in your throttle control, its all fly by wire these days.

If not and your truck will rev up but just sits there and goes nowhere then you need to look into your transmission. Possibly the torque convertor not engaging. Or maybe low on fluid.

5. Jul 28, 2012 at 7:14 AM
    92LandCruiser

92LandCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    clean MAF, throttle body, and IAC valve

check the PCV valve and for possible vacuum leaks

inspect the coil packs too

6. Jul 28, 2012 at 10:48 AM
    03is300ztk

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma 4X4
    I retract the fly by wire statement, I missed that you have an 04. But same questions as before what happens when you press the pedal to the floor.

7. Jul 28, 2012 at 11:00 AM
    90YotaPU

90YotaPU The Messiah

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Union County, NJ
    Vehicle:
    1990 Toyota 4x4 (Pre-Taco)
    Aftermarket Stereo, Spidertrax Wheel Spacers, HF Air Horns, 3" Lift
    I would say the mass air flow sensor. Are you using a K&N type air filter?

8. Jul 28, 2012 at 11:06 AM
    wildjerseyfirefighter

wildjerseyfirefighter I sell fishing and fishing accessories

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Sport
    stock, for now
    04 is also throttle by wire, you was correct

9. Jul 28, 2012 at 11:24 AM
    Digginbee

Digginbee Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Elk Grove
    Vehicle:
    12' Tacoma DCSB TRD
    I Had the same same issue with my 04 Tacoma and this is what I finally figured out with much frustration. The 04's had a hybrid system with the throttle, they have a throttle cable but that cable runs to one side of your throttle body and to an electrical pickup. from there it sends an electrical signal to the other side of throttle body to the TPS (throttle positioning sensor), that is were your problems are. But the real problem is that Toyota does not sell the TPS and there is no aftermarket alternative, so you have to buy the whole throttle body assembly ($1200.00). I replaced mine and problem solved. Good luck to you

10. Jul 28, 2012 at 11:37 AM
    92LandCruiser

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
  11. Jul 28, 2012 at 12:08 PM
    03is300ztk

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma 4X4
    Now we just need to know, does it rev up or not? If not i concur with the guys replace the throttle control motor. If not we need more information to be of assistance.

12. Jul 28, 2012 at 8:31 PM
    Ga tacoguy

Ga tacoguy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rudy
    Augusta Ga.
    Vehicle:
    Extended cab Base model 4 cyl
    Tailgate mod, horn mod,storage door mod
    :) I am sorry that you are having a big problem. You need to work on this by checking off each item I describe and see if it may be the problem.
    1. Your throttle may not be opening all the way. Your cable could be bad or out of adjustment. You need to have someone floor the gas pedal with the engine OFF. You need to look down the throttle and see if the butterfly is opening all the way. If it is, it is not the problem. If you a throttle position sensor problem, you would have a engine check light on.
    2. You could have a bad fuel pump. You may be able to check your fuel pressure with a tester, I am not sure about this. I have not read the manual yet.
    3. You could have a clogged catalytic convertor. If it has been driven in a poorly tuned engine the convertor could have melted and is closing off the exhaust and preventing the motor from making power.

I have listed the problems by importance, and it should not take too long to see if anything I have said may help. What is unknown is the state of the engine. How long has it been since it has been tuned up ? Have you changed the air filter ? I hope some of these ideas help. Good Luck.

13. Jul 29, 2012 at 7:49 PM
    Taco Erik

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Phoenix, ARIZONA 602
    Vehicle:
    when the problem occurs like i said i press the pedal to the floor and nothing happens no reving or anything then i pump it and it finally takes off, the problem seems to only happen after driving for a while, short trips around town no problems, i feel it slightly when the truck is hot i live in phoenix az and it gets hot here

sorry for the delayed reply been busy

14. Jul 29, 2012 at 7:51 PM
    Taco Erik

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Phoenix, ARIZONA 602
    Vehicle:
    thanks for the suggestions guys ill run em by my mechanic he thought it was just the fuel filter so we replaced it and still having the problem

15. Jul 29, 2012 at 7:55 PM
    rhowell

rhowell Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 Indigo TRD Sport 4x4 DCSB
    -Leather with Heated seats -AFE cold Air Intake -DE-jr Rims -Upper and Lower grills from Black Diamond Fabrication -Light bar behind grill -Hella Black Magic Rallye 1000 lights. -OME lift cw Dakar leafs -LR Upper control arms -Rosen duel DVD headrests -Nfab steps -leer canopy
  16. Aug 1, 2012 at 11:37 AM
    03is300ztk

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma 4X4
    Any update yet?

17. Aug 1, 2012 at 11:47 AM
    Taco Dan

Taco Dan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Vehicle:
    07 FJ Cruiser auto 4X4
    Snorkel, Cooper ST Maxx 255/80/17, diff breather relocate, Cobra ultra III cb radio set up Warrior Products front bumper
    i know the catalytic converter on my work tacoma will over heat if i leave the engine running for too long and when i try to accelerate it just sits there. i cut the engine off, let it cool for a couple of minutes, then drive away and it works fine. does your truck ever backfire or "pop" when giving it gas?

18. Aug 1, 2012 at 6:09 PM
    92LandCruiser

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
  19. Aug 3, 2012 at 8:39 AM
    Taco Erik

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Phoenix, ARIZONA 602
    Vehicle:
    Well at the mechanic today and we will find out whats wrong

20. Aug 3, 2012 at 2:15 PM
    Taco Erik

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Phoenix, ARIZONA 602
    Vehicle:
    damn you! you were right, on the earlier 04 models you have to replace the whole thing....but in the later month models they changed it so you could change out the TPS only and not the whole throttle body, and as it happens i have the older model and am ordering the new throttle body on monday :( 1200 bucks like ya said.

Products Discussed in

To Top