Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Dumping the exhaust

Old 01-07-2009, 08:14 PM   #1
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
Dumping the exhaust

(I believe thats the right term for it). Basically what I wanna do is cut my exhaust pipe off right behind the axle. In the stock spot its just begging to get hung up on something or bent to hell and back. Plus its ugly as sin and I aint gonna waste no money on buying some fancy tip or whatever to dress it up. I figure I might as well kill two birds with one stone.

Are they any cons/reasons not to do this?

This is how I plan on cutting it.

Old 01-07-2009, 08:29 PM   #3
Low and slow
dually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 14S
dually's Tacoma Gallery
It will be loud. Especially with a aftermarket muffler
Old 01-07-2009, 08:31 PM   #4
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dually View Post
How much loader? I'm planning on running the factory exhaust/muffler. If its only a little bit loader I don't mind, but I'm not int the whole "lets have the loudest truck on the block" thing like everyone else in my area. lol
Old 01-07-2009, 08:33 PM   #6
South Carolina Member
tjgraner09 has a brilliant futuretjgraner09 has a brilliant futuretjgraner09 has a brilliant futuretjgraner09 has a brilliant futuretjgraner09 has a brilliant futuretjgraner09 has a brilliant futuretjgraner09 has a brilliant futuretjgraner09 has a brilliant futuretjgraner09 has a brilliant futuretjgraner09 has a brilliant futuretjgraner09 has a brilliant future

Name: TJ
tjgraner09's Tacoma Gallery
watch out for your spare...if close enough you will melt the tread right off it... friend did it and when he needed the spare...well he had a big ass bald spot on it
Old 01-07-2009, 08:35 PM   #7
Enjoying my addiction
roxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

roxspin72's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to roxspin72
Quote:
Originally Posted by dually View Post
Actually,,,

I tried it for a day with my Borla. Did not have the turn down, but it was similar... Quiter @ idle, and lower RPM's

But when I really stomped on it, it got hella load.

End result, not for me. But if you want to eliminate for reasons you stated, you will not have any problems.

Disconnect the rear section and see what it souds like...
Old 01-07-2009, 08:38 PM   #9
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
i have a magnaflow welded in w/ it dumped like pictured and its not loud at all. if u punch it, of course it will be louder. i've had it on for a few months w/ no issues
Old 01-07-2009, 08:40 PM   #10
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
ive noticed absolutely ZERO change in the noise level...at any point...and my spare is crap anyways...ive got 2 more hanging out in the shed...
Old 01-07-2009, 08:50 PM   #11
Enjoying my addiction
roxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodge83 View Post
i have a magnaflow welded in w/ it dumped like pictured and its not loud at all. if u punch it, of course it will be louder. i've had it on for a few months w/ no issues
Yeah, I dont know... Maybe I needed the turn down portion. Because with it coming straight out of the muffler, it was blaaahhh at WOT on my set up.

Chris 4X4 said to leave about 1 foot after the muffler, so that could be the difference in sound that I did not experience.

I need to come over and check out your set up. Been a while.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:02 PM   #12
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxspin72 View Post
Yeah, I dont know... Maybe I needed the turn down portion. Because with it coming straight out of the muffler, it was blaaahhh at WOT on my set up.

Chris 4X4 said to leave about 1 foot after the muffler, so that could be the difference in sound that I did not experience.

I need to come over and check out your set up. Been a while.
yeah....mine goes over the axle and dumps out. prolly 2-3" of pipe after the muffler i think
Old 01-07-2009, 09:08 PM   #13
I sell fishing and fishing accessories
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
ive been wanting to do something similar to that also. the crazy chrome tip borla sends with there exhaust is gay, and a pain to keep clean. Plus it looks like it hangs down super low. I just cant justify cutting up a $600 exhaust..lol
Old 01-07-2009, 09:25 PM   #14
Enjoying my addiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildjerseyfirefighter View Post
ive been wanting to do something similar to that also. the crazy chrome tip borla sends with there exhaust is gay, and a pain to keep clean. Plus it looks like it hangs down super low. I just cant justify cutting up a $600 exhaust..lol
LOL, exactly what I was pondering over... I really need to hear this up front. I agree it does hang low, but come on , Gay is harsh... J/K

I'm stuck between that Desert Pre Runner look and the stealth look. Yeah, my inner is confused,,, Got a 4X4 that I love, but want to make this a bad ass quick NA truck. Go figure.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:37 PM   #15
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
i wouldnt have a problem cutting mine since i can reweld it. but im a bit weird about stuff..its just not the same once cut and rewelded.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:52 PM   #16
I like to break shit!
fireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Kevin
fireturk41's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to fireturk41
where i live they wont pass your inspection 4 that...i think
Old 01-07-2009, 10:00 PM   #17

Firefighter:
i think its only illegal if its not behind the rear most door.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:09 PM   #18
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
there shouldnt be anything illegal about it as youre just shortening the last pipe...theres no cut out mufflers or cats or anything like that...just shortened rear pipe so it doesnt get smashed on rocks or filled with mud etc