1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

PCV and Thermostat

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by goufcustom, Aug 2, 2012.

1. Aug 2, 2012 at 7:14 AM
    goufcustom

goufcustom [OP] 7.62x63mm

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    MD
    Vehicle:
    2021 4x4 TRD Sport DCLB
    Preventive work: Anyone replace their PCV and Thermostat as part of regular maintenance or preventive work. Anything else like this to replace?

I found the thermostat for $35 OEM (bit expensive) and the PCV for $3.50 OEM, was thinking of replacing them just in case.

2. Aug 2, 2012 at 12:54 PM
    Robertgeejr1

Robertgeejr1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Aorora, Ill, yeah!
    Vehicle:
    1996 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
    I have done all the hi-pro mods for a life time, since I got this truck at a great price, I will be happy with showroom new.
    man when it comes to the thermostat that is one thing you don't want to try to save 10 dollars on.
    I did mine this spring with a 2 day flush 14 gallons of distilled water, but the quality of the part is worth it.
    I went to a NAPA down the street and paid 33 for my truck vs 18 at the other stores for the chinese crap. you can hold up both and see the difference in the part.
    I believe in saving money everyway I can, but there are some things its not wise.
    one a year I alway pull out my pcv valve and squirt some carp cleaner in it and stick it back in. no if yours has not been out since new, it could be clogged and might clean out... as long as it rattles its good. i just clean mine to be picky.
    keeping it tuned, proper oil level and changed reg. helps keep crankcase vapors at a min.
    and if you are doing cooling, check your upper and lower rad. hoses!

3. Aug 3, 2012 at 10:20 AM
    Hillingdoner

Hillingdoner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rio Rancho, NM
    Vehicle:
    95 LX xtracab 3.4L 4x4 5spd
    140 amp Cadillac alternator, Audio system in progress, 4Runner map light mirror conversion, foot well lamp addition, buckets and console from 99 Tacoma regular cab, big three, tint
    You might try:

http://parts.tituswilltoyota.com/oempartscat.html

for OE parts. Of course you pay ship, but if you buy enough parts you can come out cheaper in the long run. My dealerships charge full retail with no discount so I often end up ordering as I come out way cheaper.

I change the pcv and grommet (to keep it from becoming dry and brittle) as part of maintenance (annual) and change the thermostat probably every 24 months. The pcv is the often forgotten item. If it clogs then pressure looks for somewhere else to leak like pushing out your valve cover gaskets causing a leak. Cheap piece of mind.

I tend to change my radiator cap the same time I replace the thermostat. I just figure that both cycle open and closed and can wear away from acceptable spec range.

I check my hoses and belts every time I check the oil as well. Replace as needed.

Rest is sort of standard stuff. Air filters etc. Put some Chevron Fuel System cleaner through every 12 months or so. Just to try to keep things clean.

Products Discussed in

To Top