1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

inline 4 or V6

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by lhedrick, Aug 12, 2012.

1. Aug 12, 2012 at 11:03 AM
    lhedrick

lhedrick [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    T100
    I need to replace my 18 year old T100. I want a full size truck with a standard cab and an 8 foot bed but, I want it with a small engine and a manual transmission only. I wrote Toyota and told them I am ready to buy a Tundra with the V6 and 6 speed manual which is in the Tacoma and FJ and they basically told me to get stuffed. I can't be the only one who wants this.

There is no full size pickup on the market with a manual trans. They are automatic only. So my only real option is to move down to the smaller tacoma which has options for 5 and 6 speed manuals. No wonder US manufactures are still sucking wind.

Now the question. 4 or 6 cylinder. My V6 T100 only has about 150 HP and for my use that has always been fine. I only care about 1 thing long term durability, cost and ease of repair. I just wasted days doing a timing belt on that T100 V6. What a pain. Power is not a concern. The 4 has plenty of power for me so it comes down to which engine is tougher? Seems both engines now use timing chains.

Opinions anyone.

2. Aug 12, 2012 at 11:12 AM
    08pretaco

08pretaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra 4x4 CM 5.7L SR5
    @ADSracingshocks - F 3 point ohh / R 2.5 - w/clickers @camburgracing - uniball UCA @rigidindustries - 40" amber/white split, Dually XL, D2 @coopertires - 35/12.5/17 STT MAXX @bayareametalfab - low pro bed rack @toyotausa - 17" rock warrior @sdhqoffroad - rock sliders, a-pillar @hondogarage / @apple / @gaiagps / @dualgps- navigation @wheelersoffroadinc - superbumps
    2.7L in that case. plus you said you wanted a standard cab and thats the only motor available for a standard Tacoma. The power from the 2.7 has just a bit more power than the v6 T-100.

plus you mentioned a manual trans. people constantly complain about the v6 6 speed manual trans, I love my 5 speed.

3. Aug 12, 2012 at 11:50 AM
    lhedrick

lhedrick [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    T100
    Thanks for the reply, as the Tacoma is so much smaller than a standard size truck I will likely go with the extend cab Tacoma.

Your comment about people not liking the 6 speed manual is the first I have heard. What don't the like? I would also assume the 5 speed is the same one which is in my old T100 which has a long history. Never heard of any problem from anyone.

I have driven 6 speed autos in the F150, F250 and Tundra. I hate them, torque converters locking and unlocking all the time. In city driving they are unlocked all of the time wasting fuel with big V8 motors. The comments of people saying the autos get better milage always amazes me. With the same axil ratios, no way an auto with a slipping torque converter will ever match a manual with a locked clutch. Then there is all the front differential waste with full time 4WD systems.

As for clutches, in 45 years of driving over 1 million miles I have never worn out a clutch on anything I have ever owned. My one experience with an automatic in a car resulted in a transmission rebuild due to slippage.

4. Aug 12, 2012 at 11:58 AM
    08pretaco

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:
    @ADSracingshocks - F 3 point ohh / R 2.5 - w/clickers @camburgracing - uniball UCA @rigidindustries - 40" amber/white split, Dually XL, D2 @coopertires - 35/12.5/17 STT MAXX @bayareametalfab - low pro bed rack @toyotausa - 17" rock warrior @sdhqoffroad - rock sliders, a-pillar @hondogarage / @apple / @gaiagps / @dualgps- navigation @wheelersoffroadinc - superbumps
    cant find the exact thread, if i stumble upon it/them then Ill post up. If you do a search and search for manual V6 or something along that line you will be able to find a lot of people with many complaints on the manual trans for the V6.

Thats also just what people say. Go take it for an extended test drive and if you like it :thumbsup: then everyone elses opinion is just that...as always lol :)

5. Aug 12, 2012 at 11:59 AM
    08pretaco

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:
    In all honesty though it really seems like the 4 banger will suit your needs just well. From factory I was getting upwards of 26 mpg from my manual I-4 with the 4.10 gears (6 lug-prerunner). Going from a T-100 seems like the Pre-runner is what you would be looking to get!

6. Aug 12, 2012 at 12:18 PM
    DevL

DevL Well-Known Member

Member:
    If you are getting the V6 get the auto. Its built for a V8.

7. Aug 12, 2012 at 1:00 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    The 6spd manual sucks anyways.
    Get the auto with the V6 in the Tundra if you need the long bed but want better economy and won't be towing.

8. Aug 12, 2012 at 1:03 PM
    TACOMABOSS

TACOMABOSS Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    96 SR5 4x4
    Bilstein 5100s, Toytec AAL, Deck plate mod, Hella 500ff's, Sportsman Camo seat covers, Total Chaos 1" diff drop, JVC stereo, Painted bumpers and grille, Custom grille insert, HID projectors, Black spray paint
    :confused:

Products Discussed in

To Top