1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

injectors or what

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by tacomajim, Aug 26, 2012.

1. Aug 26, 2012 at 12:57 PM
    tacomajim

tacomajim [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    jim
    so cal
    Vehicle:
    02 lifted 4x4 ext cab trd
    bilstien 5100s, lifted 3in, k@n air intake, gibson ex,front light bar,winch, diff drop,
    hey guys need some help,have a 02 4x4 3.4 auto, was in mexico and got some bad fuel, have run two tanks of fresh fuel with lucas fuel cleaner, but now i get a backfire off idle, runs good at highway speeds but not reving up as fast as before, changed fuel filter, plugs are new, cleaned k@n filter, can the timing be off any ideas

2. Aug 26, 2012 at 1:15 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Lucas fuel cleaner is not doing anything.
    If you got a truly bad tank, it's going to take more than 2 tanks to flush it out... Best to remove the tank, clean it out, and purge the system with known-good fuel.

A tank of bad gas would not have changed your timing... don't mess with anything that's not directly related to the fuel system or you add to the confusion if/when you end up taking it to a shop.
    Fuel problems causing an erratic idle can appear to throw the timing off, but that's only because of the inconsistent idle and vacuum.

3. Aug 26, 2012 at 9:26 PM
    Robertgeejr1

Robertgeejr1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Aorora, Ill, yeah!
    Vehicle:
    1996 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
    I have done all the hi-pro mods for a life time, since I got this truck at a great price, I will be happy with showroom new.
    backfiring can mean it running too lean, and it will RUIN your cats.
    drop tank, clean, blow out fuel lines, change filter.
    and the strain on the fuel pump will burn it out, or shorten its life.
    and there is a pre filter on the fuel pump, not sure on some cars its all one piece, dont know if you can buy a new prefilter, but that will need to be looked at also.
    and the trash and water will corrode and ruin your fuel injectors. or clog them up. they can burn out also if clogged up. it puts a bad strain on everything...

Products Discussed in

To Top