Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

optima battery

Old 01-12-2009, 10:50 PM   #1
w.trackler is on a distinguished road
w.trackler's Tacoma Gallery
Unhappy optima battery

hello. I have a 2008 tacoma with a 4 cyl. I caled the battery store to get a price on an optima battery....they informed me i would need a kit to install an optima battery in my truck. Is this right? Can anyone help?
Old 01-12-2009, 11:19 PM   #2
bite me
humanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

humanoid's Tacoma Gallery
Did you ask them what kind of kit this was? And no, it's not correct. But you may need a spacer to raise the batter higher up a bit so that your battery cables will reach the terminals.
Old 01-12-2009, 11:28 PM   #3
thank's, no they did not. is this battery worth it or do you recomend something better ?
Old 01-12-2009, 11:33 PM   #4
hello again, does anybody have a better batery i heard about a odyssey what do you think ? please help.
Old 01-12-2009, 11:45 PM   #5
bite me
humanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

humanoid's Tacoma Gallery
Both are pretty pricey, I wouldn't get them if you don't really need a battery such as these. If you have audio equipment and plan to use it with the engine off then get it. Get an Interstate battery or an Autzone one.
Old 01-12-2009, 11:49 PM   #6
Wish i was wheelin
TengoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTengoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTengoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTengoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTengoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTengoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTengoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTengoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTengoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTengoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTengoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
TengoTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I have an optima battery. It works fine... A lot of money though... I had to extend the battery cable to make it connect.

I have heard a lot of good things about Duralast. I will give them a chance next time i need a battery.
Old 01-13-2009, 06:05 AM   #9
linkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud of

Name: link the stink!
linkfeeney's Tacoma Gallery
I like the die hard Platinum... is that good thou? I bet is expensive.
Old 01-13-2009, 06:08 AM   #10
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Name: Mike
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
The optima should be sold with a spacer (mine came with it at least) that the battery can rest on to raise it up. You'll need this as the battery is pretty short compared to stock and the hold down bracket won't be able to hold the battery down without it. (assuming the 4cyl has the same setup).

Optima Yellow Top D35 in 06 Tacoma (4.0) & Billet Tray - no modification / extension of cables.

Old 01-13-2009, 06:45 AM   #11
linkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud of

Name: link the stink!
linkfeeney's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverback07 View Post
An Odyssey IMO is a better battery than an Optima.. granted its also a lot more $$. But with that said, check out Sears DieHard Platinum line, its the EXACT same thing as an Odyssey... comes off the same manufacturing line, just different color. And its less $$. I have two.
how do u know odyssey battery comes off the same factory?
Old 01-13-2009, 07:21 AM   #12
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
X2 on the Odessey
Old 01-13-2009, 02:25 PM   #13
Wherever I May Roam
SteelCity will become famous soon enoughSteelCity will become famous soon enough

Navy: Navy Corpsman, LT, FMF (RET), U.S. Marines 4th LSB, Shock-Trauma Platoon
SteelCity's Tacoma Gallery
I have an Optima red top and haven't had any issues with it. I didn't use the spacwer with it and cut the battery holder extensions to fit it. If you don't want to go with a real expensive Optima, Odyssey, etc, I would get one from the dealer. There are a million things not to buy from a dealer, but the batteries last and have a decent warranty.
Old 03-09-2009, 06:38 PM   #14
Lake Murray Man is on a distinguished road
Lake Murray Man's Tacoma Gallery
Hey SilverBack ... does your second battery cause that nifty color change on your truck? I want one of those .......

Old 03-09-2009, 06:56 PM   #15
Rude Boy |><|
Phantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Phantom_X-SP's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.optimabatteries.com/save60/
Old 03-10-2009, 10:39 AM   #16
Are these black helicopters for me?
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Murray Man View Post
Hey SilverBack ... does your second battery cause that nifty color change on your truck? I want one of those .......

haha, i was wondering how he did that
Old 03-10-2009, 10:46 AM   #17
NAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NAAC3TACO's Tacoma Gallery
The newer Toyota batteries are made by Johnson Industries. This is the same company that makes the Optima. Obviously it's not the same kind of battery as the Optima, but I would expect the quality to be very good. Anybody know what Toyota charges for their batteries?
Old 03-11-2009, 10:03 PM   #18
Bambigular will become famous soon enough
Bambigular's Tacoma Gallery
Unless you have a hooked up system, go with something from auto zone, they come with a decent warranty and a lot more inexpensive than Odyssey or Optima.
Old 03-13-2009, 10:01 AM   #19
Nuggety
Chickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Chickenmunga's Tacoma Gallery
I read an article about a year back from consumer reports, and they were advocating Wal-Mart batteries...