1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

P0430 exhaust check

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Sandman614, Sep 8, 2012.

1. Sep 8, 2012 at 9:49 PM
    Sandman614

Sandman614 [OP] Ex-Snarky TWSS elf, Travis #hotsavannahdotcom

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Garner, NC/Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    '06 SR5 Off Road
    ARB Front Bumper, Projector Headlights w/Slimcubby 4300K HID's, Oznium LED's, LED taillights, DIY Washable Cabin Moose Filter, Sockmonkey SR5 Off Road, Aux Audio plug, OME 886x, OME Nitrochargers, Wheelers 3 Leaf Progressive AAL, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, Dodge D-Rings
    I'm trying to keep from spending $1300+ at the dealership or $500+ buying and installing new cats myself.

To start off with, details, 2006 Tacoma 97,000 miles. I have tried to check for exhaust leaks by having a friend cover the tailpipe while I crawl around under the truck. The pressure at the tailpipe seems really weak but I can't find a leak.

Test result from torque (android app)
    MID:$22 TID:$a9 - Catalyst Monitor Bank 2 Max: 9.99393 Min: 0.03873 Test result value: 0.0363 FAIL

2. Sep 9, 2012 at 8:20 AM
    Sandman614

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Garner, NC/Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    '06 SR5 Off Road
    ARB Front Bumper, Projector Headlights w/Slimcubby 4300K HID's, Oznium LED's, LED taillights, DIY Washable Cabin Moose Filter, Sockmonkey SR5 Off Road, Aux Audio plug, OME 886x, OME Nitrochargers, Wheelers 3 Leaf Progressive AAL, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, Dodge D-Rings
    Any help

3. Sep 11, 2012 at 6:38 AM
    Sandman614

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Garner, NC/Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    '06 SR5 Off Road
    Mod, please move this to 2nd gen or Canada threads. I should have known not to look for technical help here. It will definitely get some attention in one of those.:rolleyes:

4. Sep 18, 2012 at 12:45 AM
    the.sight.picture

the.sight.picture Wishes he was in the woods.

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Blue Ridge
    Vehicle:
    2018 QuickSand
    Check out my build thread (Beginning of Money Pit)
    I had this problem. I look at it this way: Electronics fail before your cats will. Check the wiring on the sensors before and after the cat with a ohmmeter. Then replace those if they show bad. If that doesnt work, it is most likely your cats. If it is, and If you want the cheapest route, and you just want to get rid of the CEL do the spark plug non fouler method.

1. Buy 1 box of spark plug non fouler's from autozone (5.95 a box)
    2. Buy titanium 1/2 drill bit.
    3. Drill though 1 of the non foulers.
    4. Put one of down stream o2 sensors into 1 the drilled non foulers. (repeat for both sides if you are throwing codes for both)
    5. Anti seize the threads or the spark plug non fouler. The put into second (they will be stacked)
    6/ More anti seize on the bottom of the last non fouler.
    7. Put into 02 sensor bung.

This method effectively spaces out your 02 sensors (downstream) from the exhaust, thus no more codes. You will pass an OBD2 test. But if you have them in for a safety inspection, they will fail you. SO, do each inspection on different days.

Hopes this helps you

5. Sep 18, 2012 at 4:48 AM
    Sandman614

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Garner, NC/Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    '06 SR5 Off Road
    Thanks for the input. Unfortunately I have checked the wiring already and have switched sides on both the upper and lower o2 sensors. My I'm leaning towards an exhaust leak.

Products Discussed in

To Top