Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Sound from Engine Compartment on Shut Off

Old 09-22-2012, 10:34 AM   #21
maddiedaddy is on a distinguished road
maddiedaddy's Tacoma Gallery
awesome

Thanks for all the info. It does sound odd for sure. Glad smog pump is all it is. Would be nice if they put that in the manual since they disclose the other noise it may make. This noise is far more obvious. Gonna love this forum!
Old 10-03-2012, 09:44 PM   #22
Paint pig is on a distinguished road
Paint pig's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the info. Just got a 2013 and was stressing
Old 10-17-2012, 01:41 PM   #23
samarchan is on a distinguished road
Navy: ETV
samarchan's Tacoma Gallery
Winding sound from engine

I had the same issue and took it back to the dealership. They said it's normal its coming from the air pump.
Old 10-17-2012, 01:45 PM   #24
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Smog pump.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:15 PM   #25
2013Tacoma is on a distinguished road
2013Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks......

Just got similar experience. Thanx for the answers from this thread. Looks like am gonna disappoint the mechanic when I go back next day when a check will be made by my local dealer mechanic. They weren't too honest the first time when they heared it or they are just unqualified.....
Old 10-22-2012, 09:28 PM   #26
selftaughtguru is one of the sharper tools in the shedselftaughtguru is one of the sharper tools in the shedselftaughtguru is one of the sharper tools in the shedselftaughtguru is one of the sharper tools in the shedselftaughtguru is one of the sharper tools in the shedselftaughtguru is one of the sharper tools in the shedselftaughtguru is one of the sharper tools in the shedselftaughtguru is one of the sharper tools in the shedselftaughtguru is one of the sharper tools in the shedselftaughtguru is one of the sharper tools in the shedselftaughtguru is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Aaron
selftaughtguru's Tacoma Gallery
I have a '13 and just to confirm, in case you havn't heard it enough, it's the smog pump.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:02 PM   #27
Mid Traveling
12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: MP
Name: Roberto
12TRDTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Funny, I never new my 12 had a smog pump and it being 2012 and all this high tech mumbo jumbo bs is out I am very surprised they are still using the god given air pump. I really don't like these things.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:54 AM   #28
Sargechris is a name known to allSargechris is a name known to allSargechris is a name known to allSargechris is a name known to allSargechris is a name known to allSargechris is a name known to all

Law Enforcement: Sgt. L.A. Sheriff, (Ret.)
Sargechris's Tacoma Gallery
Smog Pumps have sucked wind since the 70's ! what junk....
Old 10-23-2012, 08:07 AM   #29
The109 is a glorious beacon of lightThe109 is a glorious beacon of lightThe109 is a glorious beacon of lightThe109 is a glorious beacon of lightThe109 is a glorious beacon of light
Navy:
Name: Joe
The109's Tacoma Gallery
My '13 does the same thing. Nice to finally know why.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:17 AM   #30
Mid Traveling
12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargechris View Post
Smog Pumps have sucked wind since the 70's ! what junk....
Yeah you figure these ancient things would stay out of the newer vehicles by now. I am personally pissed about that!
Old 10-24-2012, 11:44 PM   #31
JohnnyBGoode is on a distinguished road
JohnnyBGoode's Tacoma Gallery
I noticed this same noise the day I brought my new 13 home a few months ago and reported it to the dealer. I ended up putting in a formal complaint with Toyota corporate and they sent out a factory rep to listen to the noise. The rep acknowledged the noise and confirmed it was the air pump but stated it was not a safety concern. I expressed my dissatisfaction that a new truck should not be making a sound like this. He noted my complaint and stated that if Toyota decides to do anything about, they would be in touch. Basically they won't be doing anything in less enough customers complain. I kinda wish I bought a 12 instead of a 13 now.
Old 10-26-2012, 07:08 AM   #32
Sargechris is a name known to allSargechris is a name known to allSargechris is a name known to allSargechris is a name known to allSargechris is a name known to allSargechris is a name known to all

Law Enforcement: Sgt. L.A. Sheriff, (Ret.)
Sargechris's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBGoode View Post
I noticed this same noise the day I brought my new 13 home a few months ago and reported it to the dealer. I ended up putting in a formal complaint with Toyota corporate and they sent out a factory rep to listen to the noise. The rep acknowledged the noise and confirmed it was the air pump but stated it was not a safety concern. I expressed my dissatisfaction that a new truck should not be making a sound like this. He noted my complaint and stated that if Toyota decides to do anything about, they would be in touch. Basically they won't be doing anything in less enough customers complain. I kinda wish I bought a 12 instead of a 13 now.
Hmmm... I think Toyota is recall/campaign sensitive, don't you?!
Old 10-26-2012, 11:06 AM   #33
Mid Traveling

Go 12's!!
Old 11-26-2012, 08:17 PM   #34
BuildDesign is on a distinguished road
BuildDesign's Tacoma Gallery
Same sound on my 13' with 113 miles. Wondering if this goes away or dissipates over the course of the break in period? Very unpleasant sound. Sounds like a violent spool down and click.

Is Obama in my truck? Robbing power? Thinking of taking a hacksaw to the smog pump.

Any other "surprises" for a lurker that is kicking himself for not popping on a 12'?
Old 11-26-2012, 08:50 PM   #35
Member Caught Off Road
AWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
AWorthyOpponent's Tacoma Gallery
Was worried about the noise at first, and dealer thought something was terribly wrong with the truck...after talking to a tech, they printed out the info on the smog pump or whatever it is. It is a normal sound, and will not disappear over time.

Here is the noise...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eq7dH-1CYbs
Old 11-27-2012, 09:14 AM   #36
BuildDesign is on a distinguished road
BuildDesign's Tacoma Gallery
Many thanks for the video!

Another part to maintain....
Old 01-09-2013, 07:26 AM   #37
dtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant future

Name: Darrell
dtopgun515's Tacoma Gallery
Not sure if this is the same thing cause we are talking about two different vehicles but the Air Reaction pump quit working on my 07 4Runner, serves the same purpose as described about blowing air across the cat...just the part itself is $1,251.26. Apperantly if that part goes bad your cat can go bad which is also the case in my 4runner. I'm sure there's more to it than just that just throwing it out there.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:32 AM   #38
BigHossTaco is on a distinguished road

Name: Brad
BigHossTaco's Tacoma Gallery
im so releived i was going to make an apoointment at my dealer today, picked up my 2013 saturday and has 100kms on it and thought there was somthing a-miss.
i can live with it knowing its just a SMOG pump, i just got out of a NIGHTMARE 2012 f350 that was a facotry lemon so this is GREAT news that im not chasing another problem truck.
CHEERS!
Old 02-13-2013, 10:36 PM   #39
MtnPedaler2013 is on a distinguished road
MtnPedaler2013's Tacoma Gallery
I picked up my '13 Tacoma with 157miles on Sunday. I heard the same noise most have been experiencing. I immediately called the dealership letting them know the issue but was assured it was normal. Good to hear it's not a major problem (yet).
Old 04-12-2013, 05:51 AM   #40
BDJ is just really niceBDJ is just really niceBDJ is just really niceBDJ is just really niceBDJ is just really nice

Name: Brandon
BDJ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWorthyOpponent View Post
Was worried about the noise at first, and dealer thought something was terribly wrong with the truck...after talking to a tech, they printed out the info on the smog pump or whatever it is. It is a normal sound, and will not disappear over time.

Here is the noise...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eq7dH-1CYbs
Just heard my 12 make this noise this morning for the first time. Y'all can assure me this is normal.