Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Sound from Engine Compartment on Shut Off

Old 09-16-2012, 05:49 PM   #1
Sargechris is a name known to allSargechris is a name known to allSargechris is a name known to allSargechris is a name known to allSargechris is a name known to allSargechris is a name known to all

Law Enforcement: Sgt. L.A. Sheriff, (Ret.)
Sargechris's Tacoma Gallery
Sound from Engine Compartment on Shut Off

I've only got 150 miles on my Taco. When I shut off the engine there is a rather loud wheezing/wind-down noise that emits from the engine compartment. Stock V6.

Just curious--is this normal? It sounds kinda goofy...

Thanks

Old 09-16-2012, 06:43 PM   #2
Jetfixer
aptech is one of the sharper tools in the shedaptech is one of the sharper tools in the shedaptech is one of the sharper tools in the shedaptech is one of the sharper tools in the shedaptech is one of the sharper tools in the shedaptech is one of the sharper tools in the shedaptech is one of the sharper tools in the shedaptech is one of the sharper tools in the shedaptech is one of the sharper tools in the shedaptech is one of the sharper tools in the shedaptech is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adrian
aptech's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargechris View Post
I've only got 150 miles on my Taco. When I shut off the engine there is a rather loud wheezing/wind-down noise that emits from the engine compartment. Stock V6.

Just curious--is this normal? It sounds kinda goofy...

Thanks

no. have it checked your under warranty
Old 09-16-2012, 06:44 PM   #3
Jetfixer
aptech is one of the sharper tools in the shedaptech is one of the sharper tools in the shedaptech is one of the sharper tools in the shedaptech is one of the sharper tools in the shedaptech is one of the sharper tools in the shedaptech is one of the sharper tools in the shedaptech is one of the sharper tools in the shedaptech is one of the sharper tools in the shedaptech is one of the sharper tools in the shedaptech is one of the sharper tools in the shedaptech is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adrian
aptech's Tacoma Gallery
or is that the air pump they put on the 13s.
Old 09-16-2012, 06:46 PM   #4
JTacoma will become famous soon enough

JTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
My 95 4 cylinder does this and I haven't been able to identify what is causing the noise.
Old 09-16-2012, 06:46 PM   #5
Slow as shit. Cute as Hell.
Steves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Steves104x4's Tacoma Gallery
A/C, perhaps.
Old 09-16-2012, 06:49 PM   #6
UBIQUE
Highland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Canadian Army: Royal Canadian Artillery (Sgt, Ret.)
Name: Frank
Highland Logan's Tacoma Gallery
Could be this, which is found in the first couple pages of the manual.
Quote:
Approximately five hours after the engine is turned off, you may hear sound coming from under the vehicle for several minutes. This is the sound of a fuel evaporation leakage check and, it does not indicate a malfunction.
Frank
Old 09-16-2012, 06:56 PM   #7
Sargechris is a name known to allSargechris is a name known to allSargechris is a name known to allSargechris is a name known to allSargechris is a name known to allSargechris is a name known to all

Thanks for the responses... I don't believe it's the 5-hour noise--it happens immediately on shut-off. Very noticeable. Hard to describe, but maybe I could best describe it like this: If it was a turbo, I'd think it was the turbo winding down... (plus a few additional noises)..

I don't think it's the AC---I turn all systems off before shutting off the engine (old habit).

The air pump does sound like a candidate.

I'm gonna try to get to the Dealer this week. I will advise.

Old 09-16-2012, 07:00 PM   #8
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Probably the smog pump. Turn the key on for a bit then off and see if you hear it.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:27 PM   #9
maddiedaddy is on a distinguished road
maddiedaddy's Tacoma Gallery
I am hearing this too and curious on my 2013 Tacoma I got today new. A definite electric winding up noise for 2 or 3 seconds right after shutting off. Any ideas? 4x4 v6 trd. Thanks!
Old 09-16-2012, 09:43 PM   #10
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Smog pump.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:58 AM   #11
maddiedaddy is on a distinguished road
maddiedaddy's Tacoma Gallery
Gonna like this forum

Thank you! If sure did sound 'on purpose' but just odd.
Old 09-21-2012, 11:36 AM   #12
TurboSportTSi is on a distinguished road
Marines:
Name: Chris
TurboSportTSi's Tacoma Gallery
Any updates? My 2013 does the same thing.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:06 PM   #13
Banned
Smog pump.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:29 PM   #15
TexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
TexAggie's Tacoma Gallery
Mine does the same. Sounds almost like a turbo. I was going to run it by the dealer and ask just in case but since everyone's I doing it I bet it's normal.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:33 PM   #16
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amo-cat3 View Post
Hey Whipper, think it could be the smog pump?
Nah. Something is terrible wrong with everyone's truck and they should just get out and run very far away from their truck.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:39 PM   #17
2012 Tacoma is on a distinguished road

Navy: Attack Squadron 82
Name: Todd
2012 Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
My 2012 has the pump that runs when I start it, apparently it blows air across the cats...If you immediately shut it off, the pump continues to run for a few seconds. If you don't turn off the engine the pump shuts off in about 5 seconds it never turns on again.
Old 09-21-2012, 04:01 PM   #18

Made it to the Dealer today.. Had the Tech listen.. right-away he said it was the "air induction system" and a normal sound... I asked if, in layman's terms, it was the smog pump? He said it was.

All is OK per the Dealer...

Hoo-Ray! (but I still don't enjoy the sound!).

Old 09-21-2012, 04:12 PM   #19
Banned
Smog pump.
Old 09-21-2012, 04:21 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Smog pump.
And the winner is: whippersnapper!! If we would only listen....