LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

about restore

Old 01-15-2009, 09:31 PM   #1
mitiko is on a distinguished road
mitiko's Tacoma Gallery
Question about restore

Hi have anyone used restore additive for the engine .
You will recommend or better don't use.

Old 01-16-2009, 05:08 AM   #2
My other ride has sails
Roland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Combat Arms Instructor, HQ Detachment, RING
Roland's Tacoma Gallery
If there's nothing wrong with your engine don't bother. If something is wrong with your engine pouring an additive into the oil isn't going to fix it. Based on the front of the can I'll bet it's just a heavy weight oil. It's an old trick irreputable used car dealers use, throwing some straight 40 wt oil in the crank case quiets the engine and slows down oil consumption. This seems even more of a gimmick than many of them. Oh look! It's a special "6 cylinder formula"!
Old 01-16-2009, 05:46 AM   #3
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland View Post
If there's nothing wrong with your engine don't bother. If something is wrong with your engine pouring an additive into the oil isn't going to fix it. Based on the front of the can I'll bet it's just a heavy weight oil. It's an old trick irreputable used car dealers use, throwing some straight 40 wt oil in the crank case quiets the engine and slows down oil consumption. This seems even more of a gimmick than many of them. Oh look! It's a special "6 cylinder formula"!

Well said. You can't replace missing or worn metal by pouring in a can of BS. If they were reputable, they would take before and after pics of treated motor. Hell, I would settle for a befoe and after dyno run. There is no scientific (to my knowledge) study to back these claims. As Roland said, it is just a heavier weight (higher viscosity) oil.

What gets me is the stuff has been around a long time. I can remember seeing it when I first starting going into parts stores as a kid, and I am 31 now. I have never seen any one buy it either.