Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Instrument Cluster Lighting

Old 08-07-2007, 12:12 PM   #1
scutch10 is on a distinguished road

Air Force: 1 Comm Sq.
scutch10's Tacoma Gallery
Instrument Cluster Lighting

Does anyone out there have any idea how to change the lighting of the instrument cluster. I'm sure it's probably easy (just open it up and swap out the LED's), but I was curious if any of you guys have done it and if there is anything I need to be aware of before hand.

Thanks.
Old 08-07-2007, 01:04 PM   #2
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
I hate to post anything from another site but i came across this on TN a week or two ago. The guy did an AMAZING job documenting the entire process. It's not something i would call "easy" but you and i may have different definitions. hope this helps....

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/t180314.html
Old 08-07-2007, 01:58 PM   #3
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
007Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 007Tacoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by scutch10 View Post
Does anyone out there have any idea how to change the lighting of the instrument cluster. I'm sure it's probably easy (just open it up and swap out the LED's), but I was curious if any of you guys have done it and if there is anything I need to be aware of before hand.

Thanks.
NOOOOO... It is definitely not easy. Check out the link above. I was going to do it until I read throught the process. I have finally gotten accustomed to my orange/amber dash.
Old 08-07-2007, 02:14 PM   #4
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
i wish i could flip a switch and make it blue to match the pioneer head unit.
Old 08-07-2007, 02:17 PM   #5
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodge83 View Post
That would be awesome. Especially since I plan on installing overhead LEDs (guess I will just have to go with red).
Old 08-08-2007, 08:44 AM   #6
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
I've always liked red lighting in cars. My beamer had all red dash and instruments. It felt like i was in a submarine. This is done by car manufacturers that have a good design team. In the visible spectrum, red light is the least "abrasive" to your eyes. It's also the most dificult color light for your eyes to pick up. which means when you're driving down the road they dont distract you from everything else you need to be looking at. The dash just kinda fades into your peripheal (sp) vision, which is a good thing. you don't notice the dash until you actually look at it, then you can see everything fine. I hate driving cars with white or blue lights in the dash, they make it harder to see outside the car, its called visual interferance. same thing as when you are trying to talk on the phone at a party, the "audio interference" is too high and you cant hear what you're trying to focus on. It may not be asthetically pleasing but red lights are the safest behind the wheel. i like 'em. although i wish it was all red instead of the red/amber mix.
Old 08-08-2007, 09:49 PM   #7
scutch10 is on a distinguished road

Air Force: 1 Comm Sq.
scutch10's Tacoma Gallery
I too have a pioneer head unit w/ the blue lights and I'm wanting to change the background of the dash to blue. I'll probably look around for another cluster and experiment with that. I had an electronic course when I joined the military and the swapping out the lights isn't hard, just tedious. If I do it, and it works, I'll post some pics and maybe set something up so I can do it for you guys out there.
Old 08-15-2007, 10:29 PM   #8
bloodbrother31 is on a distinguished road

bloodbrother31's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to bloodbrother31
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodge83 View Post
I have the same idea, Blue Pioneer stereo and Nav amber dash and gauge lights
Old 08-16-2007, 05:14 AM   #9
I dub thee malicious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodbrother31 View Post
I have the same idea, Blue Pioneer stereo and Nav amber dash and gauge lights
Yes, but you are lucky. Changing the lights in the 03's is much easier than in the 05+'s. There are a few guys on here and on CT that have done it.
Old 08-16-2007, 10:24 AM   #10
bloodbrother31 is on a distinguished road

bloodbrother31's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to bloodbrother31
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007Tacoma View Post
Yes, but you are lucky. Changing the lights in the 03's is much easier than in the 05+'s. There are a few guys on here and on CT that have done it.
Yeah it it easy, the only pain is you have to take everything apart.
Old 09-27-2008, 02:22 PM   #11
awoit will become famous soon enough

awoit's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to awoit
need help with this subject

so im doing this project with my dad. the other day we did everything as instructed but we only changed 1 light cuz its all we had time for, put everything back together and i had 1 blue light and the rest were orange so we knew we were doing everything right. Today we replaced all the bulbs and now to my surprise once we placed the cluster back in the truck and tried out the lights they dont turn on. Ive checked to make sure everything is plugged in and i messed around with my dimmer and nothing seems to work. We took it back out but we cant think of whats wrong. The weird thing is everything else in the instrument cluster works, the other lights and such. Anyone have any ideas on what went wrong and how to fix it?
Old 09-27-2008, 02:28 PM   #12
✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈
neontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shed
neontrail's Tacoma Gallery
Soo clean...What would it cost to have this done at a shop?

Old 09-30-2008, 11:55 AM   #14
Lean Mean MPG Machine (best = 27)
pidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud of

Name: Stefan
pidro_el_pirata's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nd View Post
I hate to post anything from another site but i came across this on TN a week or two ago. The guy did an AMAZING job documenting the entire process. It's not something i would call "easy" but you and i may have different definitions. hope this helps....

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/t180314.html

Has anyone done this on a 1st gen? I assume it would be easier...
Old 09-30-2008, 12:17 PM   #15
montgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: CH53E Avionics Tech
Name: Lee
montgomery_30824's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to montgomery_30824
this was fairly easy to do. this was my first experience with soldering on a circuit card. http://www.oznium.com/plcc-2 this is where i got the LED's from. here is the directions i followed. not real descriptive on the actual soldering part but i figured it out. just a little solder on either side. the removal for the whole dash is in the link at the begining of the article. hope this helps.
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=180314
Old 11-09-2011, 03:08 PM   #16

awoit's Tacoma Gallery
It has been a while since I first successfully put in my blue LEDs for my instrument cluster. I now have an issue with the lights on the gas gauge and temp not lighting up. Everything else is still blue cept for the right side and so my guess is that the leds are still connected correctly because the rest of my panel is working. Do I just need to solder on new LEDS for the ones that dont light up anymore because they have gone out? Just wanted to clarify before I go in for surgery =] Thanks!

Old 11-09-2011, 03:11 PM   #17
eagle5521 has much to be proud ofeagle5521 has much to be proud ofeagle5521 has much to be proud ofeagle5521 has much to be proud ofeagle5521 has much to be proud ofeagle5521 has much to be proud ofeagle5521 has much to be proud ofeagle5521 has much to be proud ofeagle5521 has much to be proud ofeagle5521 has much to be proud of
Law Enforcement:
Name: Scott
eagle5521's Tacoma Gallery
Old 11-09-2011, 03:13 PM   #18

awoit's Tacoma Gallery
Trying to make good use of search instead of making my own thread