Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Front Differential noise

Old 01-17-2009, 05:14 PM   #1
sonjay is just really nicesonjay is just really nicesonjay is just really nicesonjay is just really nice

sonjay's Tacoma Gallery
Front Differential noise

Ok so today we did some testing as to the vibration on the front end of my truck. I have OME 885 and OME shocks, we put the truck on a hoist and "drove" it in 4x4. The front drivers side makes some bad noises/vibrations. We have decided that the noise is coming from the differential, if you spin the tire by hand you can hear the noise. Anyone have a similar issue? My dad said it sounds like the bearing wasn't properly setup, causing the spider gears to not line up properly? I plan on taking it in to Toyota, but I know there going to shrug it off and say its the lift causing the noise? I'm hoping to get the rear transmission mount TSB done as well, the whole engine/transmission shakes violently under certain conditions. Any ideas guys? Thanks a bunch!
Old 01-17-2009, 08:03 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Lift wont be causeing those issues.
Old 01-18-2009, 10:56 AM   #3
sonjay is just really nicesonjay is just really nicesonjay is just really nicesonjay is just really nice

sonjay's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah thanks, I didn't think it would either.
Old 01-18-2009, 11:47 AM   #4
Hardcore wheeler, try and keep up.... if you can.
SnoBoarder has much to be proud ofSnoBoarder has much to be proud ofSnoBoarder has much to be proud ofSnoBoarder has much to be proud ofSnoBoarder has much to be proud ofSnoBoarder has much to be proud ofSnoBoarder has much to be proud ofSnoBoarder has much to be proud of

SnoBoarder's Tacoma Gallery
I've read that a few guys got new front diffs at the dealer for similar problems under warranty, and they all had lifts installed. Wheel bearings checked out ok? You could try changing the front diff oil as a quick test. Did this start the day you lifted or did it slowly get worse over time?

I think that rear transmission mount TSB lowers the transmission and transfer case a little closer to the ground. Would that help correct the front pinion angle on the front diff?
Old 01-18-2009, 12:30 PM   #5

sonjay's Tacoma Gallery
The wheel bearings all check out fine. I didn't drive the truck much before I put the lift in, I didn't notice it until after. The front pinion angle hasn't changed from factory spec, I don't think lowering it would make any difference? I was going to drain the front diff, but I think I'll go talk to Toyota first, might save me a couple bucks on oil.