1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Front Differential noise

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by sonjay, Jan 17, 2009.

1. Jan 17, 2009 at 5:14 PM
    sonjay

sonjay [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ok so today we did some testing as to the vibration on the front end of my truck. I have OME 885 and OME shocks, we put the truck on a hoist and "drove" it in 4x4. The front drivers side makes some bad noises/vibrations. We have decided that the noise is coming from the differential, if you spin the tire by hand you can hear the noise. Anyone have a similar issue? My dad said it sounds like the bearing wasn't properly setup, causing the spider gears to not line up properly? I plan on taking it in to Toyota, but I know there going to shrug it off and say its the lift causing the noise? I'm hoping to get the rear transmission mount TSB done as well, the whole engine/transmission shakes violently under certain conditions. Any ideas guys? Thanks a bunch!

2. Jan 17, 2009 at 8:03 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Lift wont be causeing those issues.

3. Jan 18, 2009 at 10:56 AM
    sonjay

Member:
    Yeah thanks, I didn't think it would either.

4. Jan 18, 2009 at 11:47 AM
    SnoBoarder

SnoBoarder Hardcore wheeler, try and keep up.... if you can.

Member:
    Lost
    Vehicle:
    85 4Runner - Built not Bought
    I've read that a few guys got new front diffs at the dealer for similar problems under warranty, and they all had lifts installed. Wheel bearings checked out ok? You could try changing the front diff oil as a quick test. Did this start the day you lifted or did it slowly get worse over time?

I think that rear transmission mount TSB lowers the transmission and transfer case a little closer to the ground. Would that help correct the front pinion angle on the front diff?

5. Jan 18, 2009 at 12:30 PM
    sonjay

Member:
    The wheel bearings all check out fine. I didn't drive the truck much before I put the lift in, I didn't notice it until after. The front pinion angle hasn't changed from factory spec, I don't think lowering it would make any difference? I was going to drain the front diff, but I think I'll go talk to Toyota first, might save me a couple bucks on oil.

Products Discussed in

To Top