1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Brake issues need help

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Glenlou, Oct 3, 2012.

1. Oct 3, 2012 at 7:18 AM
    Glenlou

Glenlou [OP] New Member

Member:
    Okeana, Oh
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5
    Hey, joined not long ago when I bought a 2008 PreRunner V6 auto. It has 76k on it and I'm having some weird brake issues. When I stop suddenly the truck will pull to one side or the other. It is like one caliper is sticking, but it will switch sides. You can sometimes feel and here the calipers releasing with a clunk when you are taking off from a light. None of this happens all the time, just sporadically. I took it to my mechanic who is very good and had him replace the front pads and adjust the rear. They didn't have an issue when they took it for a test drive to break in the pads. It seemed to work fine for a few days and then some jerk pulled out in front of me and I hit the brakes hard and fast and it pulled to the right hard. So I tried a medium hard stop when no one was around and it pulled to the left this time. It's driving me nucking futzs.

2. Oct 3, 2012 at 7:27 AM
    Amo-cat3

Amo-cat3 Wizard Sleeve Master

Member:
    Maui, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Blown dubcab
    TRD Supercharged 4.0 w/ 2.5" Quick change Pulley, UCON EMS, URD 7th injector, AFE Stage II intake, DT Longtubes, MBRP 2.5" dual exhaust w/ Vibrant Ultra resonator, URD Y-pipe w/ vibrant v-bands (Cat free), Walboro 255 fuel pump, SS Oil catch can, Aeroforce gauges, Icon CDC 2.5 coilover set at 3", 1.5" Wleelers Progressive aal, Light racing uca, 17x8.5 Fuel Anza 4.5" backspace/-6 mm offset, Kelly Safari a/t 265/70/17, scanguage 2, AMP electric steps, bed extender, Low-pro tonneau cover, 20% tinted windows/headlights/taillights, tacoma seat covers, Image dynamic sound system w/ Pinoneer avh3200 head, assrtd stickers................
    Aloha and Welcome Glenlou!! Lot's of info and help here so here's some of my two cents.

Lots of threads about our clicking brake pads. It is very common for our pads to shift in the caliper when going in forward or reverse. You'll here a click and those are the pads slightly shifting. What kind of pads did you replace with, sometimes the clicking is worse with aftermarket pads (OEM will probably be the least noisy.

Now for the pulling from left/right when braking hard did you let the mechanic know? Could be a number of things but do a basic check of tire pressure, check fluid level (might need a brake bleed), were rotors cut and turned or just pads replaced?

3. Oct 3, 2012 at 8:16 AM
    Ga tacoguy

Ga tacoguy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rudy
    Augusta Ga.
    Vehicle:
    Extended cab Base model 4 cyl
    Tailgate mod, horn mod,storage door mod
    :) Welcome to the Forum. You have a problem with the brake caliper on the Left side. Your Taco pulled hard to the right when you braked, this is your working caliper, and the left caliper is not working ans causing the brake pull.

I would suspect that you need to change out the flexible brake hose that goes to the caliper. You need to change both flexible brake lines and that may cure the problem. If it doesn't help, then I would suspect the left caliper being bad. Good Luck.

4. Oct 3, 2012 at 8:27 AM
    NewRider

NewRider Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Charlottesville , Va
    Vehicle:
    '87 4runner
    Don't look too hard into a caliper being bad... Much more likely that this could be an alignment issue or as suggested, the lines need to be bled (this is easy and can be done in your driveway, don't pay good money for a shop to do a ten minute job, just do your research first and go at it).

As for the alignment, when you're just driving down the road does it pull either way at all? Good way to test this is to find the flattest section you can and briefly let go of the wheel, the truck should continue in a straight line (I can take off from a light and drive nearly a mile without ever touching the wheel in my car...aka good alignment). If the truck does pull either way, check the tire pressure first and if that doesn't fix it get it aligned.

Hope that helps!

5. Oct 3, 2012 at 9:32 AM
    Glenlou

Glenlou [OP] New Member

Member:
    Okeana, Oh
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5
    AMO
    The pads were from AZ top of the line they had, rotors were in very good shape and a very little was taken off them when turning. Whole brake system was flushed with new fluid, I do that everytime brakes are changed. they are not clicking in any way or making any noise. I did let my mechnic know about the issues I was having. Of course it didn't do it for him.

GA
    I don't think it is the calipers as it changes sides that it pulls to. Sometimes left and sometimes to the right. I' ve had bad flex hoses before and they would pull at the start of braking then even out when preasure builds while pushing the rest of the way.

New
    Alignment is fine no issues at all and tire preasure is checked every week. Preasure is even.

Is there a proportional valuve on these? I read on a nother post where someone had there ECU reprogramed for something like this. But couldn't find the orignal post to confirm.

6. Oct 3, 2012 at 9:56 AM
    NewRider

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Charlottesville , Va
    Vehicle:
    '87 4runner

Little confused by your question here.. Proportional value to what? And ECU programmed for what?

7. Oct 3, 2012 at 10:05 AM
    Amo-cat3

Amo-cat3 Wizard Sleeve Master

Member:
    Maui, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Blown dubcab
    TRD Supercharged 4.0 w/ 2.5" Quick change Pulley, UCON EMS, URD 7th injector, AFE Stage II intake, DT Longtubes, MBRP 2.5" dual exhaust w/ Vibrant Ultra resonator, URD Y-pipe w/ vibrant v-bands (Cat free), Walboro 255 fuel pump, SS Oil catch can, Aeroforce gauges, Icon CDC 2.5 coilover set at 3", 1.5" Wleelers Progressive aal, Light racing uca, 17x8.5 Fuel Anza 4.5" backspace/-6 mm offset, Kelly Safari a/t 265/70/17, scanguage 2, AMP electric steps, bed extender, Low-pro tonneau cover, 20% tinted windows/headlights/taillights, tacoma seat covers, Image dynamic sound system w/ Pinoneer avh3200 head, assrtd stickers................
    Most likely talking about proprotional valve which I believe the 2nd gens don't have. Maybe somehting to do with ABS?

8. Oct 3, 2012 at 10:11 AM
    NewRider

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Charlottesville , Va
    Vehicle:
    '87 4runner
    Makes sense but the abs shouldn't be causing the truck to pull to on side or the other..if so you've got some bigger problems and from my minor knowledge of the full workings of abs you'd be in the market for a new ECU.. Not fun

9. Oct 3, 2012 at 10:23 AM
    Glenlou

Glenlou [OP] New Member

Member:
    Okeana, Oh
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5
    Yes, a porportional valve for the brakes

10. Oct 4, 2012 at 6:27 PM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more

No rear load proportion valve for 2nd gen tacomas.

Products Discussed in

To Top