1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

ABS working...?

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by villenuv27, Jan 18, 2009.

1. Jan 18, 2009 at 5:15 PM
    villenuv27

villenuv27 [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner
    I've got an 07 PreRunner. Nothing but happy with it so far. Tonight, I'm pulling into the garage and the ABS kicks in right when I cross into the garage and the truck won't stop. The brakes start pulsating and the truck will not stop. Long story short; the front of the truck was in my kitchen.

The garage was dry and not icy at all. The driveway was not icy. No reason for the ABS to kick in at all. It is very cold out, maybe 10 or so, but this shouldn't affect anything, should it?

I mean I'm pissed that I have an enormous hole in my house and the front of my truck is busted, but I'm happy because no one was on the other side. I'm hoping my insurance treats this is a property damage loss and I only have to pay the deductible for everything, but part of me now wonders if this was a malfunction. ABS as I understand it is suposed to kick in ONLY when the car cannot otherwise stop due to hazardous conditions. Other than the low temperature, there weren't any such conditions. Do I have a legitimate beef with Toyota here, or was the ABS just cold?

Even if something malfucntioned, how do I prove it....?

2. Jan 18, 2009 at 5:55 PM
    moserjjx

moserjjx Tacoma Newbie

Member:
    Eau Claire, WI
    Vehicle:
    08 DC TRD 4x4
    Weathertech liners, bed mat, rear spring TSB, extra 12V outlets in center console, seat belt chime off
    legitimate beef - something is definitely wrong. abs should function normally regardless of temp. have it towed to the shop and checked out before driving for sure. good luck with the insurance, should only be one claim for all. and that situation really sucks - good part is nobody got hurt, bad part is everything else!

3. Jan 18, 2009 at 6:18 PM
    TicTacOma

TicTacOma UnderWater Monopoly Champion

Member:
    First Name:
    Anastatia Beaverhausen
    Columbia,SC
    Vehicle:
    I'm Thinking...Oh Yeah...An FJ
    It's all in my head at the moment...
    Do not drive it, (unless you need to get to the milk) You'll want to have it towed to the shop. Leave it as you left it.

4. Jan 18, 2009 at 6:56 PM
    Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 4runner Limited Looking for a Taco
    It's the wife's T4R so it's stock
    another guy on here's wife drove the truck through his garage door -- took it to the dealer but we never got an update...

5. Jan 18, 2009 at 6:57 PM
    Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
  6. Jan 19, 2009 at 11:54 AM
    EnolaGaia

EnolaGaia Well-Known Member

Member:
    Midwest USA
    Vehicle:
    '01 & '04 S-Runners
    01 SR: Double Cab conversion, S/C, lowered.
    Were you holding the brake pedal down solidly, or were you pumping it?

7. Jan 20, 2009 at 7:39 AM
    villenuv27

villenuv27 [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner
    I was just holding it down as I normally do when I pull into the garage. I talked to Toyota and they said that I likely picked up some snow or ice on my tires and when I got into the garage the slick floor caused some wheel spin and that's what caused the ABS to kick in.

I thought ABS was supposed to BRAKE the car; not propel it forward. I wish I could just turn the ABS off. It's worthless.

8. Jan 20, 2009 at 8:16 AM
    Roland

Roland My other ride has sails

Member:
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    06 Impulse Red I4 2WD Access Cab
    UnderCover Tonneau, Bed mat, Bug Deflector, aFe Pro Dry S, Secondary Air Filter removed, Synthetic 5W-30 oil, Scanguage II with blendmount, WeatherTech floorliners, Toyota seat covers, Installed OEM intermittent wipers, TacomaWorld sticker, Defrost without AC mod, Hidden Hitch
    Please don't take this as a slam but I'm curious. You went through the wall? How fast do you go when you pull into the garage? (Not that it changes a problem of failing brakes.) When I pull in I'm moving slow enough that I probably wouldn't crease the bumper if I tapped the shelving units.

I'm glad no one was hurt. Walls and trucks can be fixed.

9. Jan 21, 2009 at 5:06 AM
    villenuv27

villenuv27 [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner
    I probably should have described the scenario better. The ABS kicked in when I was pulling into the garage, so maybe I was going 4 or 5 MPH. My driveway is on an incline, so I had to be going fast enough to get up the driveway. Once the ABS kicked in, the truck would not stop and I hit my workbench which essentially became a battering ram and that's what went through the wall. The truck only really made it to the wall in the garage. Four of the studs snapped and large amounts of drywall fell off.

I'll try and embed a picture. This was after I pounded the studs back into place and got the insulation and vapor barrier back. I'll need to replace all these studs this weekend before I hang the new drywall.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34589229@N03/3215484980/

10. Jan 21, 2009 at 11:00 AM
    sonjay

sonjay Well-Known Member

Member:
    That sounds like a scary situation. Its good that no one was hurt! I've noticed some strange ABS happenings as well, nothing like that though. I've been trying to figure a ABS kill similar to the one the off-road guys have with the E locker, so far I've only managed to blow a few fuses?

11. Jan 21, 2009 at 11:25 AM
    Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    damn...

and to embed pictures, copy the IMG code and past it here instead of the URL.

12. Jan 21, 2009 at 2:53 PM
    EnolaGaia

EnolaGaia Well-Known Member

Member:
    Midwest USA
    Vehicle:
    '01 & '04 S-Runners
    01 SR: Double Cab conversion, S/C, lowered.
    Does your PreRunner have the optional VSC / TRAC package? If so - which one (which set of features / gizmos does your package include)?

13. Jan 21, 2009 at 5:43 PM
    villenuv27

villenuv27 [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner
    It's the '07 PreRunner 2x2 TRD package. As far as I know I don't have the VSC/TRAC package you are referring to. What additional options does that include?

14. Mar 18, 2009 at 7:59 AM
    sportee

sportee Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '08 SR5 Double Cab 4x4
    Still planning :)
    Gues what guys, my 08 DC 4x4 does something similar...

...as soon as ther is the slightest bit of snow or ice on the ground the abs kicks in, the brakes pulsate and the truck doesnt stop for two blocks. (were talking damp pavemen there - not even considered slippery)Even something as simple as backing out of the driveway makes them kick in.

What did you find out in the end? I was just thinking of disconnecting the ABS assuming that they were just really sensitive but if there is actually a problem I should dig a little more into it.

15. Mar 22, 2009 at 6:37 AM
    mayne

mayne New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 Double Cab Sport&Towing
    hood visor, hard cover
    I also have an 08 DC 4x4 that has questionable braking. I figured it was the stock duelers that were the issue. Now I'm not sure! When it got down to -38C, I had to lock it in to four to move as the front end was to stiff on the snow covered roads to move it with the rear end.

I think a disconnection may be in order for me as well.

16. Mar 22, 2009 at 6:44 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit

HORRIBLE IDEA- The truck was built with the ABS system, the brake system is designed to use it and just disconnecting it may have consequences you don't intend. Get the truck looked at by a mechanic of brake shop. You may have to pick your day to bring it in so the weather is wet or whatever...
    But god...please don't disconnect a safety system that isn't working and leave it that way as the "repair"

17. Mar 30, 2009 at 3:01 AM
    blackhawke88

blackhawke88 wo ai ni bao bei ^_^

Member:
    SGV, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Offroad
    tacogrande fron TN has a switch where he can turn ABS on and off. He uses it all the time when he off roads. Im gonna make a switch for it when I off road because it is dangerous for ABS to kick in when off roading or even on the ice/snow. When off roading, it is good for the tires to lock, especially in sand, because it plows into the sand and stops you. I was in Pismo 3 weeks ago and ABS almost got me wrecked a few times cuz it wouldnt let me brake.

Thread on ABS on TN: http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=167586&highlight=abs+switch

Here is Tacogrande's write up: (for ATRAC) http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=213131&highlight=abs+switch

for ABS:http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1689809&postcount=32

Products Discussed in

To Top