LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

ABS working...?

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-18-2009, 05:15 PM   #1
villenuv27 [OP] villenuv27 is offline
Junior Member
villenuv27 is on a distinguished road
Joined: Nov 2007, #3406
Posts: 11
villenuv27's Tacoma Gallery
ABS working...?

I've got an 07 PreRunner. Nothing but happy with it so far. Tonight, I'm pulling into the garage and the ABS kicks in right when I cross into the garage and the truck won't stop. The brakes start pulsating and the truck will not stop. Long story short; the front of the truck was in my kitchen.

The garage was dry and not icy at all. The driveway was not icy. No reason for the ABS to kick in at all. It is very cold out, maybe 10 or so, but this shouldn't affect anything, should it?

I mean I'm pissed that I have an enormous hole in my house and the front of my truck is busted, but I'm happy because no one was on the other side. I'm hoping my insurance treats this is a property damage loss and I only have to pay the deductible for everything, but part of me now wonders if this was a malfunction. ABS as I understand it is suposed to kick in ONLY when the car cannot otherwise stop due to hazardous conditions. Other than the low temperature, there weren't any such conditions. Do I have a legitimate beef with Toyota here, or was the ABS just cold?

Even if something malfucntioned, how do I prove it....?
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 05:55 PM   #2
Tacoma Newbie
moserjjx has much to be proud ofmoserjjx has much to be proud ofmoserjjx has much to be proud ofmoserjjx has much to be proud ofmoserjjx has much to be proud ofmoserjjx has much to be proud ofmoserjjx has much to be proud ofmoserjjx has much to be proud ofmoserjjx has much to be proud ofmoserjjx has much to be proud of
Joined: Nov 2008, #10772
Location: Eau Claire, WI
Gender: Male
Posts: 197
moserjjx's Tacoma Gallery
legitimate beef - something is definitely wrong. abs should function normally regardless of temp. have it towed to the shop and checked out before driving for sure. good luck with the insurance, should only be one claim for all. and that situation really sucks - good part is nobody got hurt, bad part is everything else!
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 06:18 PM   #3
UnderWater Monopoly Champion
TicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
TicTacOma's Avatar
Air Force: F-15 Crew-Chief
Name: Anastatia Beaverhausen
Joined: Dec 2007, #3840
Location: Columbia,SC
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,942
TicTacOma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to TicTacOma
Do not drive it, (unless you need to get to the milk) You'll want to have it towed to the shop. Leave it as you left it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 06:56 PM   #4
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Delmarva's Avatar
Army: Vet
Name: Mike
Joined: Oct 2008, #10148
Location: Tucson, AZ
Age: 33
Gender: Guy
Posts: 35,709
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
another guy on here's wife drove the truck through his garage door -- took it to the dealer but we never got an update...
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 11:54 AM   #6
Senior Member
EnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Joined: Sep 2006, #9
Location: Midwest USA
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,136
EnolaGaia's Tacoma Gallery
Were you holding the brake pedal down solidly, or were you pumping it?
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 07:39 AM   #7
villenuv27 [OP] villenuv27 is offline
Junior Member
villenuv27 is on a distinguished road
Joined: Nov 2007, #3406
Posts: 11
villenuv27's Tacoma Gallery
I was just holding it down as I normally do when I pull into the garage. I talked to Toyota and they said that I likely picked up some snow or ice on my tires and when I got into the garage the slick floor caused some wheel spin and that's what caused the ABS to kick in.

I thought ABS was supposed to BRAKE the car; not propel it forward. I wish I could just turn the ABS off. It's worthless.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 08:16 AM   #8
My other ride has sails
Roland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Roland's Avatar
Army: Combat Arms Instructor, HQ Detachment, RING
Joined: Jan 2008, #4149
Location: Rhode Island
Age: 50
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,409
Roland's Tacoma Gallery
Please don't take this as a slam but I'm curious. You went through the wall? How fast do you go when you pull into the garage? (Not that it changes a problem of failing brakes.) When I pull in I'm moving slow enough that I probably wouldn't crease the bumper if I tapped the shelving units.

I'm glad no one was hurt. Walls and trucks can be fixed.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 05:06 AM   #9
villenuv27 [OP] villenuv27 is offline
Junior Member
villenuv27 is on a distinguished road
Joined: Nov 2007, #3406
Posts: 11
villenuv27's Tacoma Gallery
I probably should have described the scenario better. The ABS kicked in when I was pulling into the garage, so maybe I was going 4 or 5 MPH. My driveway is on an incline, so I had to be going fast enough to get up the driveway. Once the ABS kicked in, the truck would not stop and I hit my workbench which essentially became a battering ram and that's what went through the wall. The truck only really made it to the wall in the garage. Four of the studs snapped and large amounts of drywall fell off.

I'll try and embed a picture. This was after I pounded the studs back into place and got the insulation and vapor barrier back. I'll need to replace all these studs this weekend before I hang the new drywall.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34589229@N03/3215484980/
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 11:00 AM   #10
Senior Member
sonjay is just really nicesonjay is just really nicesonjay is just really nicesonjay is just really nice
 
sonjay's Avatar
Joined: Oct 2008, #9834
Location: Vancouver Island
Gender: Male
Posts: 701
sonjay's Tacoma Gallery
That sounds like a scary situation. Its good that no one was hurt! I've noticed some strange ABS happenings as well, nothing like that though. I've been trying to figure a ABS kill similar to the one the off-road guys have with the E locker, so far I've only managed to blow a few fuses?
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 11:25 AM   #11
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Delmarva's Avatar
Army: Vet
Name: Mike
Joined: Oct 2008, #10148
Location: Tucson, AZ
Age: 33
Gender: Guy
Posts: 35,709
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by villenuv27 View Post
I probably should have described the scenario better. The ABS kicked in when I was pulling into the garage, so maybe I was going 4 or 5 MPH. My driveway is on an incline, so I had to be going fast enough to get up the driveway. Once the ABS kicked in, the truck would not stop and I hit my workbench which essentially became a battering ram and that's what went through the wall. The truck only really made it to the wall in the garage. Four of the studs snapped and large amounts of drywall fell off.

I'll try and embed a picture. This was after I pounded the studs back into place and got the insulation and vapor barrier back. I'll need to replace all these studs this weekend before I hang the new drywall.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34589229@N03/3215484980/
damn...

and to embed pictures, copy the IMG code and past it here instead of the URL.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 02:53 PM   #12
Senior Member
EnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Joined: Sep 2006, #9
Location: Midwest USA
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,136
EnolaGaia's Tacoma Gallery
Does your PreRunner have the optional VSC / TRAC package? If so - which one (which set of features / gizmos does your package include)?
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 05:43 PM   #13
villenuv27 [OP] villenuv27 is offline
Junior Member
villenuv27 is on a distinguished road
Joined: Nov 2007, #3406
Posts: 11
villenuv27's Tacoma Gallery
It's the '07 PreRunner 2x2 TRD package. As far as I know I don't have the VSC/TRAC package you are referring to. What additional options does that include?
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 07:59 AM   #14
Junior Member
sportee is on a distinguished road
Joined: Mar 2009, #14654
Gender: Male
Posts: 12
sportee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by villenuv27 View Post
I've got an 07 PreRunner. Nothing but happy with it so far. Tonight, I'm pulling into the garage and the ABS kicks in right when I cross into the garage and the truck won't stop. The brakes start pulsating and the truck will not stop. Long story short; the front of the truck was in my kitchen.

The garage was dry and not icy at all. The driveway was not icy. No reason for the ABS to kick in at all. It is very cold out, maybe 10 or so, but this shouldn't affect anything, should it?

I mean I'm pissed that I have an enormous hole in my house and the front of my truck is busted, but I'm happy because no one was on the other side. I'm hoping my insurance treats this is a property damage loss and I only have to pay the deductible for everything, but part of me now wonders if this was a malfunction. ABS as I understand it is suposed to kick in ONLY when the car cannot otherwise stop due to hazardous conditions. Other than the low temperature, there weren't any such conditions. Do I have a legitimate beef with Toyota here, or was the ABS just cold?

Even if something malfucntioned, how do I prove it....?
Gues what guys, my 08 DC 4x4 does something similar...

...as soon as ther is the slightest bit of snow or ice on the ground the abs kicks in, the brakes pulsate and the truck doesnt stop for two blocks. (were talking damp pavemen there - not even considered slippery)Even something as simple as backing out of the driveway makes them kick in.

What did you find out in the end? I was just thinking of disconnecting the ABS assuming that they were just really sensitive but if there is actually a problem I should dig a little more into it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 06:37 AM   #15
Junior Member
mayne is on a distinguished road
Joined: Mar 2008, #5062
Posts: 1
mayne's Tacoma Gallery
I also have an 08 DC 4x4 that has questionable braking. I figured it was the stock duelers that were the issue. Now I'm not sure! When it got down to -38C, I had to lock it in to four to move as the front end was to stiff on the snow covered roads to move it with the rear end.

I think a disconnection may be in order for me as well.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 06:44 AM   #16
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Brunes's Avatar
Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Joined: May 2008, #7011
Location: Big Easy, USA
Age: 29
Gender: Dude
Posts: 17,906
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportee View Post
Gues what guys, my 08 DC 4x4 does something similar...

...as soon as ther is the slightest bit of snow or ice on the ground the abs kicks in, the brakes pulsate and the truck doesnt stop for two blocks. (were talking damp pavemen there - not even considered slippery)Even something as simple as backing out of the driveway makes them kick in.

What did you find out in the end? I was just thinking of disconnecting the ABS assuming that they were just really sensitive but if there is actually a problem I should dig a little more into it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayne View Post
I also have an 08 DC 4x4 that has questionable braking. I figured it was the stock duelers that were the issue. Now I'm not sure! When it got down to -38C, I had to lock it in to four to move as the front end was to stiff on the snow covered roads to move it with the rear end.

I think a disconnection may be in order for me as well.

HORRIBLE IDEA- The truck was built with the ABS system, the brake system is designed to use it and just disconnecting it may have consequences you don't intend. Get the truck looked at by a mechanic of brake shop. You may have to pick your day to bring it in so the weather is wet or whatever...
But god...please don't disconnect a safety system that isn't working and leave it that way as the "repair"
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 03:01 AM   #17
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^
blackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
blackhawke88's Avatar
Joined: Jan 2009, #12478
Location: SGV, CA
Gender: Male
Posts: 17,832
blackhawke88's Tacoma Gallery
tacogrande fron TN has a switch where he can turn ABS on and off. He uses it all the time when he off roads. Im gonna make a switch for it when I off road because it is dangerous for ABS to kick in when off roading or even on the ice/snow. When off roading, it is good for the tires to lock, especially in sand, because it plows into the sand and stops you. I was in Pismo 3 weeks ago and ABS almost got me wrecked a few times cuz it wouldnt let me brake.

Thread on ABS on TN: http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/sh...ght=abs+switch

Here is Tacogrande's write up: (for ATRAC) http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/sh...ght=abs+switch

for ABS:http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/sh...9&postcount=32
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ABS System working. TnShooter 2nd Gen. Tacomas 35 02-13-2012 09:56 PM
ABS Disabling Mod, and ABS light / Fuse Natemx 2nd Gen. Tacomas 16 12-14-2011 09:45 PM
ABS not working JDenny15 Technical Chat 6 11-20-2011 05:06 PM
ABS is not working easyeatlanta 2nd Gen. Tacomas 2 01-25-2011 04:55 PM


Copyright © 2014 Tacoma Forum. Tacoma World is not owned by, or affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation.