LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

ABS working...?

Old 01-18-2009, 05:15 PM   #1
villenuv27 is on a distinguished road
villenuv27's Tacoma Gallery
ABS working...?

I've got an 07 PreRunner. Nothing but happy with it so far. Tonight, I'm pulling into the garage and the ABS kicks in right when I cross into the garage and the truck won't stop. The brakes start pulsating and the truck will not stop. Long story short; the front of the truck was in my kitchen.

The garage was dry and not icy at all. The driveway was not icy. No reason for the ABS to kick in at all. It is very cold out, maybe 10 or so, but this shouldn't affect anything, should it?

I mean I'm pissed that I have an enormous hole in my house and the front of my truck is busted, but I'm happy because no one was on the other side. I'm hoping my insurance treats this is a property damage loss and I only have to pay the deductible for everything, but part of me now wonders if this was a malfunction. ABS as I understand it is suposed to kick in ONLY when the car cannot otherwise stop due to hazardous conditions. Other than the low temperature, there weren't any such conditions. Do I have a legitimate beef with Toyota here, or was the ABS just cold?

Even if something malfucntioned, how do I prove it....?
Old 01-18-2009, 05:55 PM   #2
Tacoma Newbie
moserjjx has much to be proud ofmoserjjx has much to be proud ofmoserjjx has much to be proud ofmoserjjx has much to be proud ofmoserjjx has much to be proud ofmoserjjx has much to be proud ofmoserjjx has much to be proud ofmoserjjx has much to be proud ofmoserjjx has much to be proud ofmoserjjx has much to be proud of
moserjjx's Tacoma Gallery
legitimate beef - something is definitely wrong. abs should function normally regardless of temp. have it towed to the shop and checked out before driving for sure. good luck with the insurance, should only be one claim for all. and that situation really sucks - good part is nobody got hurt, bad part is everything else!
Old 01-18-2009, 06:18 PM   #3
UnderWater Monopoly Champion
TicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: F-15 Crew-Chief
Name: Anastatia Beaverhausen
TicTacOma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to TicTacOma
Do not drive it, (unless you need to get to the milk) You'll want to have it towed to the shop. Leave it as you left it.
Old 01-18-2009, 06:56 PM   #4
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Name: Mike
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
another guy on here's wife drove the truck through his garage door -- took it to the dealer but we never got an update...
Old 01-19-2009, 11:54 AM   #6
EnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shed
EnolaGaia's Tacoma Gallery
Were you holding the brake pedal down solidly, or were you pumping it?
Old 01-20-2009, 07:39 AM   #7
I was just holding it down as I normally do when I pull into the garage. I talked to Toyota and they said that I likely picked up some snow or ice on my tires and when I got into the garage the slick floor caused some wheel spin and that's what caused the ABS to kick in.

I thought ABS was supposed to BRAKE the car; not propel it forward. I wish I could just turn the ABS off. It's worthless.
Old 01-20-2009, 08:16 AM   #8
My other ride has sails
Roland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Combat Arms Instructor, HQ Detachment, RING
Roland's Tacoma Gallery
Please don't take this as a slam but I'm curious. You went through the wall? How fast do you go when you pull into the garage? (Not that it changes a problem of failing brakes.) When I pull in I'm moving slow enough that I probably wouldn't crease the bumper if I tapped the shelving units.

I'm glad no one was hurt. Walls and trucks can be fixed.
Old 01-21-2009, 05:06 AM   #9
I probably should have described the scenario better. The ABS kicked in when I was pulling into the garage, so maybe I was going 4 or 5 MPH. My driveway is on an incline, so I had to be going fast enough to get up the driveway. Once the ABS kicked in, the truck would not stop and I hit my workbench which essentially became a battering ram and that's what went through the wall. The truck only really made it to the wall in the garage. Four of the studs snapped and large amounts of drywall fell off.

I'll try and embed a picture. This was after I pounded the studs back into place and got the insulation and vapor barrier back. I'll need to replace all these studs this weekend before I hang the new drywall.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34589229@N03/3215484980/
Old 01-21-2009, 11:00 AM   #10
sonjay is just really nicesonjay is just really nicesonjay is just really nicesonjay is just really nice

sonjay's Tacoma Gallery
That sounds like a scary situation. Its good that no one was hurt! I've noticed some strange ABS happenings as well, nothing like that though. I've been trying to figure a ABS kill similar to the one the off-road guys have with the E locker, so far I've only managed to blow a few fuses?
Old 01-21-2009, 11:25 AM   #11
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Name: Mike
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by villenuv27 View Post
I probably should have described the scenario better. The ABS kicked in when I was pulling into the garage, so maybe I was going 4 or 5 MPH. My driveway is on an incline, so I had to be going fast enough to get up the driveway. Once the ABS kicked in, the truck would not stop and I hit my workbench which essentially became a battering ram and that's what went through the wall. The truck only really made it to the wall in the garage. Four of the studs snapped and large amounts of drywall fell off.

I'll try and embed a picture. This was after I pounded the studs back into place and got the insulation and vapor barrier back. I'll need to replace all these studs this weekend before I hang the new drywall.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34589229@N03/3215484980/
damn...

and to embed pictures, copy the IMG code and past it here instead of the URL.
Old 01-21-2009, 02:53 PM   #12
EnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shed
EnolaGaia's Tacoma Gallery
Does your PreRunner have the optional VSC / TRAC package? If so - which one (which set of features / gizmos does your package include)?
Old 01-21-2009, 05:43 PM   #13
It's the '07 PreRunner 2x2 TRD package. As far as I know I don't have the VSC/TRAC package you are referring to. What additional options does that include?
Old 03-18-2009, 07:59 AM   #14
sportee is on a distinguished road
sportee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by villenuv27 View Post
I've got an 07 PreRunner. Nothing but happy with it so far. Tonight, I'm pulling into the garage and the ABS kicks in right when I cross into the garage and the truck won't stop. The brakes start pulsating and the truck will not stop. Long story short; the front of the truck was in my kitchen.

The garage was dry and not icy at all. The driveway was not icy. No reason for the ABS to kick in at all. It is very cold out, maybe 10 or so, but this shouldn't affect anything, should it?

I mean I'm pissed that I have an enormous hole in my house and the front of my truck is busted, but I'm happy because no one was on the other side. I'm hoping my insurance treats this is a property damage loss and I only have to pay the deductible for everything, but part of me now wonders if this was a malfunction. ABS as I understand it is suposed to kick in ONLY when the car cannot otherwise stop due to hazardous conditions. Other than the low temperature, there weren't any such conditions. Do I have a legitimate beef with Toyota here, or was the ABS just cold?

Even if something malfucntioned, how do I prove it....?
Gues what guys, my 08 DC 4x4 does something similar...

...as soon as ther is the slightest bit of snow or ice on the ground the abs kicks in, the brakes pulsate and the truck doesnt stop for two blocks. (were talking damp pavemen there - not even considered slippery)Even something as simple as backing out of the driveway makes them kick in.

What did you find out in the end? I was just thinking of disconnecting the ABS assuming that they were just really sensitive but if there is actually a problem I should dig a little more into it.
Old 03-22-2009, 06:37 AM   #15
mayne is on a distinguished road
mayne's Tacoma Gallery
I also have an 08 DC 4x4 that has questionable braking. I figured it was the stock duelers that were the issue. Now I'm not sure! When it got down to -38C, I had to lock it in to four to move as the front end was to stiff on the snow covered roads to move it with the rear end.

I think a disconnection may be in order for me as well.
Old 03-22-2009, 06:44 AM   #16
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportee View Post
Gues what guys, my 08 DC 4x4 does something similar...

...as soon as ther is the slightest bit of snow or ice on the ground the abs kicks in, the brakes pulsate and the truck doesnt stop for two blocks. (were talking damp pavemen there - not even considered slippery)Even something as simple as backing out of the driveway makes them kick in.

What did you find out in the end? I was just thinking of disconnecting the ABS assuming that they were just really sensitive but if there is actually a problem I should dig a little more into it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayne View Post
I also have an 08 DC 4x4 that has questionable braking. I figured it was the stock duelers that were the issue. Now I'm not sure! When it got down to -38C, I had to lock it in to four to move as the front end was to stiff on the snow covered roads to move it with the rear end.

I think a disconnection may be in order for me as well.

HORRIBLE IDEA- The truck was built with the ABS system, the brake system is designed to use it and just disconnecting it may have consequences you don't intend. Get the truck looked at by a mechanic of brake shop. You may have to pick your day to bring it in so the weather is wet or whatever...
But god...please don't disconnect a safety system that isn't working and leave it that way as the "repair"
Old 03-30-2009, 03:01 AM   #17
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^
blackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

blackhawke88's Tacoma Gallery
tacogrande fron TN has a switch where he can turn ABS on and off. He uses it all the time when he off roads. Im gonna make a switch for it when I off road because it is dangerous for ABS to kick in when off roading or even on the ice/snow. When off roading, it is good for the tires to lock, especially in sand, because it plows into the sand and stops you. I was in Pismo 3 weeks ago and ABS almost got me wrecked a few times cuz it wouldnt let me brake.

Thread on ABS on TN: http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/sh...ght=abs+switch

Here is Tacogrande's write up: (for ATRAC) http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/sh...ght=abs+switch

for ABS:http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/sh...9&postcount=32