1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need Help with AC/Heat not working properly

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by MinusThymus, Oct 5, 2012.

1. Oct 5, 2012 at 7:34 PM
    MinusThymus

MinusThymus [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Sport 4x4
    New guy here with a 2008 tacoma 4x4 trd sport double cab. just noticed when i try to turn the temperature from cold to hot, its like the duct leading to the vents is blocked. the blower is still blowing, but the forced air is NOT getting to the vents. only happens when temperature gets over midway point from cold to hot. blows just fine on cold(and with a/c on). any ideas on what is causing this, and what the solution may be? Thanks for any help.

2. Oct 5, 2012 at 7:41 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    The temperature control has nothing to do with where the air blows through.
    It's a Tacoma... not a Chevy, you actually have a choice to run the AC on your feet if you'd like.

3. Oct 5, 2012 at 7:48 PM
    TMW

TMW Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Bakersfield, CA
    Vehicle:
    04 Tacoma 4x4 SR5
    Light bar and bumper guard, 3/16 steel skid plates for engine, tranny and transfer box, OME 881 springs with 5100 shocks at mid clip. AAL in rear. Positraction rear diff.
    Here is a troubleshooting table from the manual. Here is the manual. The Heating and AC stuff is near the bottom.

4. Oct 5, 2012 at 7:52 PM
    MinusThymus

MinusThymus [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Sport 4x4
    I understand the temp control SHOULD have nothing to do with the airflow. However, The temp control is the one triggering this problem. Just looking for help, NOT sarcasm(Chevy?)

5. Oct 5, 2012 at 7:59 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Okay... so what is happening and what is not happening?

When you have the vent control set to dash, what happens as you cycle the temp level?

When you have the vent control set to floor, what happens as you cycle the temp level?

When you have the vent control set to both, what happens as you cycle the temp level?

The place the air is blowing from should not change. The temp control only actuates the flapper that bypasses the heater core.... it should not be redirecting the airflow unless someone has reversed/crossed/paralleled the connections to the two stepper motors.

6. Oct 5, 2012 at 8:08 PM
    MinusThymus

MinusThymus [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Sport 4x4

regardless of where the vent control is set, the problem persists. If i have the vent control set on 'dash', the air flows just fine until the temp control is turned to hot, and the air flow stops. The blower is still blowing, the air is just NOT getting to the vents. Same happens when vent control is on 'floor', air blows just fine until the temp is turned from cold to hot. same on ANY of the vent control settings, air flows just fine until the temp control is turned from cold to hot. Something is triggering this problem when the temp control is turned from cold to hot.

7. Oct 5, 2012 at 8:15 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Okay, so when the blend door directs the air through the heater core, the flow is stopping.

That makes sense. It does sound like the heater core might be plugged.

8. Oct 5, 2012 at 8:19 PM
    MinusThymus

MinusThymus [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Sport 4x4

Ideas on correcting this issue? Thanks

9. Oct 5, 2012 at 8:28 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    The heater core is not very accessible. Changing it requires pretty much complete disassembly of the dash.

I'm not sure what kind of tools you have access to, I'd maybe pull the blower and run a snake-type camera into the ducts to try to observe what's happening.

What's the history on the truck? Has it ever worked properly? What's the last thing that happened before it messed up?

10. Oct 5, 2012 at 9:01 PM
    MinusThymus

MinusThymus [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Sport 4x4
    I dont know the history of this truck and problem, i just purchased it four days ago. Unfortunately for me, I made the mistake of not checking the heat. Now I'm left with the task of fixing this problem. This is my first tacoma, so i'm somewhat unfamiliar with the systems of the truck. trying to learn. good idea with the camera

11. Oct 5, 2012 at 9:45 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    There's a lot of good information in TMW's link.
    I scanned it and couldn't find anything immediately, but that's the information a dealer tech would be using.

Products Discussed in

To Top