Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Inline Transmission Filters

Old 10-06-2012, 12:53 PM   #1
memphis guy is on a distinguished road
Name: John
memphis guy's Tacoma Gallery
Inline Transmission Filters

I figured an inline transmission filter for our trucks wouldn't be a bad idea, especially for the 2nd Gen, since they don't have a dipstick or an actual filter, and drain intervals tend to be longer.

This company offers inline magnetic filters which also have a traditional pleated paper element.

A friend of mine recommended it and I thought I'd see what you guys think.

Installation is simple - you just mount it in the cooler/radiator output line. You do need to use one of those "wheel" pipe cutters.

Magnafine:

http://magnefinefilters.com/?gclid=C...FQTnnAodWEwADg
Old 11-23-2012, 04:42 AM   #2
wolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Rick
wolftree's Tacoma Gallery
I have been looking into both Magnefine in-line filters and B&Ms remote filter as well. The therory behind both types of filters is sound. I found only one online mention of a filter affecting shifts and he may have had his Magnefine in backwards. My thoughts are that if company like B&M recommends a filter, I need to listen.
Old 01-19-2013, 05:11 PM   #4
anvilmanco is on a distinguished road
anvilmanco's Tacoma Gallery
The November, 2012 TRAILER LIFE magazine has a good article on the Transmission cooler line filters. Especially talks about the Magnefine.

Is their any current experience anyone cares to share about these and this subject?? I pull a 4000 lb trailer with my crap in it, and the Taco does a great job but this sounds like pretty cheap insurance, to me.

Thanks,

Keith
Old 01-22-2013, 04:13 PM   #5
John D is on a distinguished road

Army: Hvy. Truck Driver 89th. Trans. Co.
Name: Johnny D.
John D's Tacoma Gallery
Trans filter

A lot of the people over on the Tundra forum use these! (Magnefine) I had a tundra befour and always had one on.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:01 PM   #6
It burns when I pee....
ABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
ABA180's Tacoma Gallery
Do you just install it in where the rubber line is?
Old 01-28-2013, 09:15 AM   #7
John D is on a distinguished road

Army: Hvy. Truck Driver 89th. Trans. Co.
Name: Johnny D.
John D's Tacoma Gallery
Wink Trans. Filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABA180 View Post
Do you just install it in where the rubber line is?
I put mine on the passenger side firewall where the Trans. cooler lines come out of the radiator cooler .
Put it on the return line to Trans.
Old 08-07-2013, 02:22 PM   #8
Older Guy
Smardt Turbocor is a jewel in the roughSmardt Turbocor is a jewel in the roughSmardt Turbocor is a jewel in the rough
Name: Galen
Smardt Turbocor's Tacoma Gallery
Once worked in a transmission shop

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphis guy View Post
I figured an inline transmission filter for our trucks wouldn't be a bad idea, especially for the 2nd Gen, since they don't have a dipstick or an actual filter, and drain intervals tend to be longer.

This company offers inline magnetic filters which also have a traditional pleated paper element.

A friend of mine recommended it and I thought I'd see what you guys think.

Installation is simple - you just mount it in the cooler/radiator output line. You do need to use one of those "wheel" pipe cutters.

Magnafine:

http://magnefinefilters.com/?gclid=C...FQTnnAodWEwADg
=======

I once worked in a transmission shop in Montreal Canada. The owner believed that an added, permanent transmission "filter" added unnecessary restriction to the flow of fluid.

He did use them but here is how.

After a major failure and overhaul, he would add one of these filters which contained powerful magnets to the outlet line returning to the automatic from the radiator.

All transmission lines, etc were flushed, but while they were testing the overhauled automatic, they temporarily added that filter, primarily to attract any ferrous metal leftover when the transmission self destructed. Remember just like AC repairs, the slightest trace of anything is a disaster. Ferrous metal sticks to the magnets inside. Valve bodies can stick, governors (not used any more) can stick. Modern flow solenoids can become fouled, neccesitating pulling the pan again to fix it.

The car would come back after being driven two weeks, and the filter was removed and thrown in the garbage. (All the dirt or metal that is going to move will move during that two weeks) It had done its job.

Cleanliness is the key word. Unless you are abusing stuff, clean stuff tends to stay clean.