1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Unusually tight steering after steering column tac-welds

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Cohutta, Oct 9, 2012.

1. Oct 9, 2012 at 3:24 PM
    Cohutta

Cohutta [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2011 4x4 AC 2.7
    Dog hair
    Truck: 2004 Extra Cab Pre-Runner V6 w/ Tilt Steering

Just recently purchased this truck and immediately noticed the slight rattle/vibration in the steering wheel, especially on dirt roads. Found the thread regarding this and the typical solution of tac-welding / inserting roll pin to fix the vibration.

I removed the steering column by removing the plastic clam shell, tilt springs, allen bolts, and clamp at the the firewall (easiest way from what I read) and tac welded the column in two spots. Now after re-installing the column and bolting everything back up, the steering is almost too tight. For example if I'm doing 55 MPH down a road and turn into a curve, I can take my hands off the steering wheel and the wheel will just about track the curve without resetting to the center. It completely eliminated any slop in the steering, but it feels almost too tight.

Any ideas? I've got no issues with the steering, personally I prefer a heavier feel like this but I want to make sure I didn't overlook anything. I'm wondering if there's anyway that slip joint on the shaft didn't shorten up a bit before a welded it and it's causing a slight bind? Stuff like this drives me a crazy, if you guys got any ideas, let me know. I'll probably tear it down one more time and see if there's anything I might have missed.

Thanks

2. Oct 9, 2012 at 3:30 PM
    BAMFTACO

BAMFTACO Another day another beer

Member:
    First Name:
    Juan
    Woodlandland hills , CA
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma AC Prerunner
    Kings bruh
    Just open it up again and see if you welded something you weren't supposed to and pics would help to maybe

3. Oct 9, 2012 at 4:15 PM
    Cohutta

Cohutta [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2011 4x4 AC 2.7
    Dog hair
    Post #43 on this TTORA thread shows the methodology I followed, no deviations.

The two tac welds were made back to back directly on the slip joint. The shaft can only fit into the outer sleeve at the firewall one of two ways; the first time I had my steering wheel turned 180 degrees upside down. I'd like to hear from anyone who did this modification and how much it firmed up the steering. My understanding was it simply removed the rattle, not necessarily tightened up the steering to the degree I'm experiencing.

4. Nov 6, 2023 at 5:53 PM
    Fendergeek

Fendergeek Active Member

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma TRD
    Can this mod be done with a 2nd Gen Tacoma or is that not possible with a 2nd Gen because it's a telescoping steering column? Really wish I could figure out the sloppy feeling above 60 MPH. It sounds exactly like the issue described with it needing constant correction and hearing the rattle but I replaced both sections of the upper intermediate shaft and tried putting a shim between the rag joint. Still the issue persists. Thinking it's something in the steering column now.

5. Nov 15, 2023 at 8:03 AM
    joba27n

joba27n YotaWerx Authorized tuner

Member:
    First Name:
    Nolan
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2021 Gray TRD Sport Tacoma MT
    YotaWerx engine software enchantment, Bumper light bar, Hood wrap, Roadmaster Active Suspension, Durobumps.
    Have you checked your ball joints, tie rods with the truck sitting on stands under the control arms close to the wheels?

Fendergeek[QUOTED] likes this.
  6. Nov 17, 2023 at 9:01 PM
    Dm93

Dm93 Test Don't Guess

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2014 DC OR 6spd 4x4
    Predator tube steps, Ranch Hand grill guard, Magnaflow CatBack exhaust, Toyota tool box & bed mat, 2LO Module by @Up2NoGood, Rearview Compass/Temp Mirror, Tune by @JustDSM.
    I don't think I'd want to be in a front collision (not that I'd want to anyway) with that shaft welded, the steering column is designed to collapse in a collision so the steering wheel isn't shoved into your face thus the telescoping shaft.

b_r_o, joba27n and Woodythebluetaco like this.
  7. Nov 18, 2023 at 3:49 AM
    faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr Til Valhalla

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Denver, Indiana
    Vehicle:
    ‘23 Sport 4x4 DCSB
    Im with ya…….this tack weld idea is a horrible mod. Like almost stupid level

8. Nov 18, 2023 at 11:59 AM
    pastoreater

pastoreater doesn't know

Member:
    First Name:
    M
    Vehicle:
    5g 4runner
    I have a friend with a couple tack welds on his 3rd gen 4runner. He says he had specific reasons for doing it and that it's a lethal, mortal, could kill you mod.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2023
  9. Nov 18, 2023 at 2:11 PM
    joba27n

joba27n YotaWerx Authorized tuner

Member:
    First Name:
    Nolan
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2021 Gray TRD Sport Tacoma MT
    YotaWerx engine software enchantment, Bumper light bar, Hood wrap, Roadmaster Active Suspension, Durobumps.
    For the record, nylon pins is one of the methods of making the column collapsible

10. Nov 18, 2023 at 4:51 PM
    pastoreater

pastoreater doesn't know

Member:
    First Name:
    M
    Vehicle:
    5g 4runner
    Thanks @joba27n I just jumped in here with a flip response really and so I went ahead and edited it.

I don't like the sound of it.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2023

Products Discussed in

To Top