1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear brakes

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Drew C, Oct 20, 2012.

1. Oct 20, 2012 at 4:41 AM
    Drew C

Drew C [OP] Member

Member:
    Is there a tutorial here? Did a quick search but couldn't find anything. I have a 2010 sport with ~60k. Last time at the dealer I was told I will need to have them done soon. I've done the fronts many times before, do my own oil change, diff fluid, spark plugs but never rear brakes. I'm certainly not the greatest at DIY but I don't think this should be an issue. Any help?

2. Oct 20, 2012 at 5:04 AM
    NWTacoGuy

NWTacoGuy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Pacific North West
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off Road DCSB
    Fabtech 6", xd addicts/35x11.50 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Black badges, Pioneer HU, 11' grille, ect ect ect....
  3. Oct 20, 2012 at 5:20 AM
    NWTacoGuy

NWTacoGuy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Pacific North West
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off Road DCSB
    Fabtech 6", xd addicts/35x11.50 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Black badges, Pioneer HU, 11' grille, ect ect ect....

I found this on another thread as I started to get curious myself....looks like a pretty good write up!!

I must say though that reading all of these other posts....60K seems really early to have to worry about drums??

4. Oct 20, 2012 at 7:44 AM
    snoope

snoope Well-Known Member

Member:
    Winter Haven Florida
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra Limited 4x4
    60K sounds a little early for rear brakes period....make dam sure that e-brake assembly is working correctly..

Replaced my rear brakes after 64000 miles and 10 years( 2002) only after I lost a right rear axle seal....E-brake was completely re-worked on 06/09 when it got re-framed ;)...only rear brake work up to that date...

The above tool list is "Right" on...the brake spring tool is your BEST bet instead of needle nose pliers....and using the "bolts" to remove the drum is your best bet...my son got impatient and co$t me a drum...ball pean hammers LOVE those outer edges :eek:...We used the metric bolts on the other one...

Last bit of advice....only do one side at a time IF you do not have a manual in front of you....BEST "Teaching" tool is right there....Auto shop teacher "planted" that idea :) 34 years ago and at times my son actually listens to his Dad....:cool:

Good luck and dam proud of another TW'r doing their own maintainence....:thumbsup:

5. Oct 20, 2012 at 7:50 AM
    TenBeers

TenBeers Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Pro Cavalry Blue
    CBI bed rack and sliders, Backwoods Adventure Mods front and rear bumpers, etc. And some stickers.
    Lots of folks are getting well over 100K on rear shoes. I was going to do the ones on my old '92 at about 130K miles, and when I got the drum off I saw it still had about as much lining on it as the replacement shoes.

You may have found some threads for adjusting the rear brakes. Some folks say they last so long because they are rarely adjusted and aren't really doing much.

Depending on how much hauling or towing you do, YMMV.

6. Oct 20, 2012 at 2:06 PM
    Drew C

Drew C [OP] Member

Member:
    Thanks for the replies. Was certainly going to have a look since I'm going by what the stealership told me... Perhaps I'm fine since 60k seems a little early judging by the responses. I did the front pads a little while ago,and they were due.

thanks again.

7. Oct 20, 2012 at 7:01 PM
    Robertgeejr1

Robertgeejr1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Aorora, Ill, yeah!
    Vehicle:
    1996 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
    I have done all the hi-pro mods for a life time, since I got this truck at a great price, I will be happy with showroom new.
    60K does seem early for drums, but if its not a warranty issue, find a good local independent brake shop, look around for a good one, and that will save you some serious bucks.
    drum brakes last so long, esp. on trucks, is that you have a 60/40 weight dist. and the front brakes do more work.

8. Oct 21, 2012 at 10:02 AM
    snoope

snoope Well-Known Member

Member:
    Winter Haven Florida
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra Limited 4x4

If you are going in there ...PLEASE get yourself ready to lube that E-brake system regardless if you need rear brakes .....PM on your end will save you big $$$$ in the future...
    The more you do for that Tacoma on the PM side, the more it will bring you home safe every trip....;)

9. Oct 21, 2012 at 10:08 AM
    TrdSurgie

TrdSurgie revised

Member:
    Oahu
    Its highly doubtful that you need rear brakes at 60k. Im almost positive youre being conned unless something eles is wrong.

10. Oct 21, 2012 at 10:31 AM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius
    DO NOT FOLLOW THESE STEPS....^^^^^

You need to release the tension on the pads before removal.
    also insure you do NOT have the e-brake on for obvious reasons

there is a rubber plug in the back of the drum with a gear shaped adjuster

hold down the tab with a small screwdriver and loosen the gear until the pads no longer touch the drum. you can test it by rotating the drum. if you hear or feel contact keep loosening it

mine were absolutely toasted/imploded before 70k....

if you wait to long and abuse them be prepared for a spring to snap and cause additional issues

[​IMG]

good side :D
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

and done

[​IMG]

not a hard job for an afternoon with basic tools.

pop off the drums and take a look for yourself. I would purchase the spring kit and pads so if you do need them your ready to go. it's not like you will never use them if your not ready for them now.

11. Oct 21, 2012 at 10:40 AM
    92LandCruiser

92LandCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    I had mine off friday, 61k and they look great. The spring for the tab on the auto adjusting wheel had popped off though and fucked up my e-brake.

Tried to replace my axle but the new one was the wrong damn side.

I did it with pliers and a screw driver... though it was a bitch.

12. Oct 23, 2012 at 4:46 AM
    Drew C

Drew C [OP] Member

Member:
    Thans again, even more info. Was supposed to be yesterdays project (oil change, front diff and t-case, +/- brakes) but I went fishing instead... Will look at it this weekend.

Products Discussed in

To Top