Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Changing differential fluid - A step by step "HOW TO"

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-21-2009, 07:21 PM   #21
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy4Life View Post
You should be ok. Probably shouldn't switch to synthetic unless you feel like installing new oils seals as well.
Thats an old myth. Synthetics are fine at any mileage:

http://www.oilsandlube.com/myths.htm
Myth #1: Synthetic motor oils damage seals.
Untrue. It would be foolhardy for lubricant manufacturers to build a product that is incompatible with seals. The composition of seals presents problems that both petroleum oils and synthetics must overcome. Made from elastomers, seals are inherently difficult to standardize.
Ultimately it is the additive mix in the oil that counts. Additives to control seal swell, shrinkage and hardening are required, whether it be a synthetic or petroleum product that is being produced.
Old 01-21-2009, 07:22 PM   #22
05DoubleTaco is on a distinguished road

05DoubleTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Yep, I had been wanting to do mine for a long time.

Finally got around to doing it last month, and a good difference!

I did both front and rear diff as well as the 6spd tranny.

Used Redline products, good stuff!

My rear diff fluid was just as I had expected, a little milky and metal shavings on the bolt. After 3 years of constant creek crossings, I knew it would be bad.
Old 01-21-2009, 07:30 PM   #23
668: The Neighbor of the Beast
Toy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chad
Toy4Life's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Thats an old myth. Synthetics are fine at any mileage:

http://www.oilsandlube.com/myths.htm
Myth #1: Synthetic motor oils damage seals.
Untrue. It would be foolhardy for lubricant manufacturers to build a product that is incompatible with seals. The composition of seals presents problems that both petroleum oils and synthetics must overcome. Made from elastomers, seals are inherently difficult to standardize.

Ultimately it is the additive mix in the oil that counts. Additives to control seal swell, shrinkage and hardening are required, whether it be a synthetic or petroleum product that is being produced.
Really....I thought that may have been why I had to replace my seals. They coincidentally started leaking after I switched to synthetic.
......oh well, good to know.
Old 01-21-2009, 07:34 PM   #24
I sell fishing and fishing accessories
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
well if its nice this weekend, i may replace it then. How do i know if my seals go bad? oil leaks on the inside of the wheel?
Old 01-21-2009, 07:35 PM   #25
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildjerseyfirefighter View Post
well if its nice this weekend, i may replace it then. How do i know if my seals go bad? oil leaks on the inside of the wheel?
Yep.
Old 01-21-2009, 07:40 PM   #26
I sell fishing and fishing accessories
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
gotcha..thanks ya
Old 01-21-2009, 08:08 PM   #27
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Ah. Ok. I change mine every 15k or so, but I tow a boat, and dunk the rear in the water often. FWIW, I havent found a synthetic that works good in the LSD rear of the second gens.
just by chance.....have you tried royal purple?? i have heard quite a few people with the 2nd gen tacoma with the lsd diff that use it and say its smooth and quiet. may be worth a shot....even though i'd still add a lil friction modifier.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:13 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
just by chance.....have you tried royal purple?? i have heard quite a few people with the 2nd gen tacoma with the lsd diff that use it and say its smooth and quiet. may be worth a shot....even though i'd still add a lil friction modifier.
I have heard that too, Will, but as I havent tried it, I thought I will wait until someone with first hand knowlege comes forward. Im going to stick with the Dyno oils. My truck sometimes sits in the water over the axel, and going in and out with the boat, I have to check it anyway, so I just change it.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:15 PM   #29
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
I have heard that too, Will, but as I havent tried it, I thought I will wait until someone with first hand knowlege comes forward. Im going to stick with the Dyno oils. My truck sometimes sits in the water over the axel, and going in and out with the boat, I have to check it anyway, so I just change it.
i hear that man. pb hasnt been on here in a good while...but i know he has the lsd diff, and uses(or did) rp, and he had zero complaints. just a heads up anyway.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:22 PM   #30

Quote:
i hear that man. pb hasnt been on here in a good while...but i know he has the lsd diff, and uses(or did) rp, and he had zero complaints. just a heads up anyway.
Well, hell. I guess I may have to try that out on my net change.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:22 PM   #31
Snipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Snipe's Tacoma Gallery
Mmmmmmmmmmm diff fluid smell

I hate that smell, I always get stuck doing the truck cranes @ work and I swear I can smell that crap for 3 days after.

We at least have 5 gal pails with pumps so it goes pretty fast
Old 01-21-2009, 08:23 PM   #32

Quote:
Well, hell. I guess I may have to try that out on my net change.
let us know how it goes man.............cause if it works for the lsd, alot more people may switch over to synthetic if we find something that wont make the rear gears bark like hell like the mobil1 does.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:25 PM   #33

Quote:
let us know how it goes man.............cause if it works for the lsd, alot more people may switch over to synthetic if we find something that wont make the rear gears bark like hell like the mobil1 does.
Yeah, that why I figured I'd give it a shot. Just so we know for sure.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:36 PM   #34
afd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thats a good thing to have. I have only needed to use them on the front diff, and transfer case, as I have found the rear has enough room to just pour it in from the bottle.
Yeah, the only reason I mention it is that the gear lube I used came in quart bottles like engine oil bottles. They didn't have the tapered spouts like some other gear lubes do. Not sure how many other gear lubes come in the non-tapered bottles and it's a handy thing to have around for doing manual tranny and front diff fluid.
Old 01-21-2009, 09:05 PM   #35
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Question

Hey great write up chris and brian!!! This was exactly what I needed to know! Quick question. I know you need 3 quarts of oil but with the extra 4oz. of the lsd fluid, did you guys end up with some left over or were you able to get it all in?
Old 01-21-2009, 09:09 PM   #36
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildjerseyfirefighter View Post
so whos gonna do a write up on the front diff? lol
X2 on this one!
Old 01-21-2009, 09:13 PM   #37
IgnoringChrisWatchingEdLi veVicariouslyThroughMJP2
TacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
TacoNut's Tacoma Gallery
The smell of gear oil makes me hungry....

Good write up.....

just did it last week in about 25 min!!!!
Old 01-21-2009, 09:27 PM   #38
No matter where you go there you are.
taco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Galen
taco084gb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Hey tacoman
I did my front and rear diff with 75/90w Royal purple. I have the electric locker in the rear. The manual said replace at 15,000 miles and the stealer wanted $90 for the rear only. Took me about an 1 hr to do both. Have about 3500 miles on it so far and no problems. Do a lot of offroading and pulling a 3500 pound trailer about 2 a month.Hope this helps.

By the way nice write up on this never thought of doing it. I take it for granted since I rebuild gear boxes on a regular bases at work.
Old 01-21-2009, 09:29 PM   #39
Lieutenant Dan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taco084gb View Post
Hey tacoman
I did my front and rear diff with 75/90w Royal purple. I have the electric locker in the rear. The manual said replace at 15,000 miles and the stealer wanted $90 for the rear only. Took me about an 1 hr to do both. Have about 3500 miles on it so far and no problems. Do a lot of offroading and pulling a 3500 pound trailer about 2 a month.Hope this helps.
Dang I could have sworn my manual said every 30,000.
Old 01-22-2009, 02:17 AM   #40
\m/.....\m/
ph16drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedph16drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedph16drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedph16drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedph16drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedph16drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedph16drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedph16drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedph16drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedph16drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedph16drive is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
ph16drive's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WW_FIREFIGHTER View Post
Hey great write up chris and brian!!! This was exactly what I needed to know! Quick question. I know you need 3 quarts of oil but with the extra 4oz. of the lsd fluid, did you guys end up with some left over or were you able to get it all in?
X2

Also, where do you dispose of the stuff? Will Autozone take it like they do with engine oil?

Products Discussed in this Thread