Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Changing differential fluid - A step by step "HOW TO"

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-22-2009, 02:26 AM   #41
Braaaaap!
Motoknuckle is a splendid one to beholdMotoknuckle is a splendid one to beholdMotoknuckle is a splendid one to beholdMotoknuckle is a splendid one to beholdMotoknuckle is a splendid one to beholdMotoknuckle is a splendid one to beholdMotoknuckle is a splendid one to behold

Name: Caleb
Motoknuckle's Tacoma Gallery
I'm guessing it's pretty much the same steps for a 1st gen? I don't feel like crawling under my truck.
Old 01-22-2009, 05:47 AM   #42
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WW_FIREFIGHTER View Post
Hey great write up chris and brian!!! This was exactly what I needed to know! Quick question. I know you need 3 quarts of oil but with the extra 4oz. of the lsd fluid, did you guys end up with some left over or were you able to get it all in?
I put in 1 quart of fluid first, then the 4oz. of additive, then filled until it started comming out. I capped it off, drove the truck about 40 feet, then topped off the diff with the rest of the oil. It held exactly 3 quarts 4 oz.
Old 01-22-2009, 05:48 AM   #43
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoknuckle View Post
I'm guessing it's pretty much the same steps for a 1st gen? I don't feel like crawling under my truck.
First gen uses the same diff, just a little narrower. I think the specs call for just under 3 quarts for th efirst gens.
Old 01-22-2009, 06:12 AM   #44
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
I put in 1 quart of fluid first, then the 4oz. of additive, then filled until it started comming out. I capped it off, drove the truck about 40 feet, then topped off the diff with the rest of the oil. It held exactly 3 quarts 4 oz.
Sweet!! Got yah, thanks!!!
Old 01-22-2009, 06:17 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph16drive View Post
X2

Also, where do you dispose of the stuff? Will Autozone take it like they do with engine oil?
They should.
Old 01-22-2009, 09:56 AM   #46
No matter where you go there you are.
taco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Galen
taco084gb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
X2

Also, where do you dispose of the stuff? Will Autozone take it like they do with engine oil?
Our Wal Mart here said they will take the oil for no charge. but have not taken it there yet to see. Our Garbage dump takes it for no charge and since Im at the dump once in awhile it works for me.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:03 AM   #47
go shit in your hat
brianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shed
brianr's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
X2

OOPS, I forgot something. I'm not sure where Chris was going to do with the old (I guess maybe I should have taken it).

When I change my oil, I take it to the local Checker/Kragen store.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:11 AM   #48
spaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud of

Army: Ret. USAR Sgt.
spaghettiedy's Tacoma Gallery
Good job guys!!! This should be stickyed or put in mods & Tutorials.

Thanks in advance admin and mods
Old 01-22-2009, 01:23 PM   #49
Braaaaap!
Motoknuckle is a splendid one to beholdMotoknuckle is a splendid one to beholdMotoknuckle is a splendid one to beholdMotoknuckle is a splendid one to beholdMotoknuckle is a splendid one to beholdMotoknuckle is a splendid one to beholdMotoknuckle is a splendid one to behold

Name: Caleb
Motoknuckle's Tacoma Gallery
Right on guys!

I'm a little reluctant to changing anything other than the engine oil, but now I'll give this a shot.
Old 01-22-2009, 01:52 PM   #50
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by taco084gb View Post
Hey tacoman
I did my front and rear diff with 75/90w Royal purple. I have the electric locker in the rear. The manual said replace at 15,000 miles and the stealer wanted $90 for the rear only. Took me about an 1 hr to do both. Have about 3500 miles on it so far and no problems. Do a lot of offroading and pulling a 3500 pound trailer about 2 a month.Hope this helps.

By the way nice write up on this never thought of doing it. I take it for granted since I rebuild gear boxes on a regular bases at work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WW_FIREFIGHTER View Post
Dang I could have sworn my manual said every 30,000.
i use mobil1.......................iwas just asking chris if he had tried synthetic royal purple, since mobil1 didnt do so well in the lsd for him(i have the locker)..........and the manual for the 06 i had and the manual for the 04 i have now say every 30k....diff fluid change.
Old 02-14-2009, 11:49 AM   #51
bigredscowboy is on a distinguished road
bigredscowboy's Tacoma Gallery
anyone know the hex size on the front diff for 1st gen? anyone had success getting the rear fill plug out when it was stuck?
Old 02-17-2009, 01:43 PM   #52
I am the Sofa King
harshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shed

harshest's Tacoma Gallery
Did you guys use the Genuine Toyota LSD Additive? If not what brand did you use?
Old 02-17-2009, 01:54 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by harshest View Post
Did you guys use the Genuine Toyota LSD Additive? If not what brand did you use?
Yep. We used the OEM Toyota addative. 4ozs.
Old 02-18-2009, 04:48 AM   #54
jshaw is on a distinguished road
Army: Desert Storm Veteran
Name: Jeff
jshaw's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry to bring back an old thread but yesterday I bought Mobile 1 synthetic gear oil to change my LSD rearend this weekend. I also bought a tube of additive. I stumbled across this thread this morning and am now concerned about using it since it seems Chris had a bad experience. Has anyone come up with new results? Should I use Royal Purple synthetic or go with conventional gear oil? Thanks
Old 02-18-2009, 04:54 AM   #55
go shit in your hat
brianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shed
brianr's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jshaw View Post
Sorry to bring back an old thread but yesterday I bought Mobile 1 synthetic gear oil to change my LSD rearend this weekend. I also bought a tube of additive. I stumbled across this thread this morning and am now concerned about using it since it seems Chris had a bad experience. Has anyone come up with new results? Should I use Royal Purple synthetic or go with conventional gear oil? Thanks
As you see in our wrtie-up, I/we chose to go with conventional 75-80/75-90 "Dino" oil.

I have read on other forums guys having problems in the LSDs' using synthetic Mobil 1, and guys having good luck with RP. Maybe it has somehting to do with the LSD additive...

Not having the first hand experiance from using those, Chris4x4 should be able to answer better.
Old 02-18-2009, 05:55 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshaw View Post
I used different combos of Mobil 1 and the Addative. I tried it with no addative, 2oz., 4oz, 8oz. Enev tried the Mobil 1 LS, which is supposed to have the addative in it or something. No luck. After a few days, the rear chirped and howled.
Personally, If you do any towing, or get your diffs underwater, use dino oil in the diffs.You gotta change them more frequently anyway, so why spend the money.
Old 02-18-2009, 06:56 AM   #57
jshaw is on a distinguished road
Army: Desert Storm Veteran
Name: Jeff
jshaw's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks Chris. I will use the dino oil for the rear. One more reason this is such a great, informative site.
Old 03-03-2009, 09:42 AM   #58
09 tacoma trd is on a distinguished road

09 tacoma trd's Tacoma Gallery
can you use synthetic in the rear end for a 2009 sport. it has a lsd but it is electronic.
Old 03-03-2009, 01:37 PM   #59
go shit in your hat
brianr's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09 tacoma trd View Post
can you use synthetic in the rear end for a 2009 sport. it has a lsd but it is electronic.

you could, yes. were you thinking of going Mobil 1 or RP?
Old 03-03-2009, 09:22 PM   #60
bastardk1 is on a distinguished road

bastardk1's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome How to. Got Keep Those dealerships out of your pocket. Preach on.

Products Discussed in this Thread