Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Changing differential fluid - A step by step "HOW TO"

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-06-2013, 02:20 PM   #1301
theredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: AM1
Name: John
theredofshaw's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpulseRed008 View Post
it was VERY simple. should I be worried that I didn't get the "fluid leaking out" portion of the step? It took the full 3 quarts...It looks just shy of being level if the fill plug as well.

EDIT: and whoever posted that the oil is rather pungent...I couldn't agree more...I stilled smelled it when I went into the house a couple hours later...
Old 04-06-2013, 03:24 PM   #1302
Gone But Not Forgotten
ImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Susan
ImpulseRed008's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by theredofshaw View Post
it was VERY simple. should I be worried that I didn't get the "fluid leaking out" portion of the step? It took the full 3 quarts...It looks just shy of being level if the fill plug as well.

EDIT: and whoever posted that the oil is rather pungent...I couldn't agree more...I stilled smelled it when I went into the house a couple hours later...
I didn't get any leaking out and mine's been fine, or should I say no issues in 12K miles
Old 04-06-2013, 06:38 PM   #1303
BryanWhiteTRD is on a distinguished road
BryanWhiteTRD's Tacoma Gallery
subd
Old 04-06-2013, 08:03 PM   #1304
theredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: AM1
Name: John
theredofshaw's Tacoma Gallery
I ended up lowering the spare out of the way for this. made it easier to get the bottles up in there (and gave me head room lol)...also gave me a chance to check that tire's pressure (WAY low) and to make sure the cable is rusting like some other vehicles had issues with.
Old 04-07-2013, 04:45 PM   #1305
Jetman1979 is on a distinguished road
Navy: E-6 retired
Name: Michael
Jetman1979's Tacoma Gallery
Ok let me ask this on the fill of the transfer case and front diff and manual gearbox can I fill all these till it starts coming out of the fill hole? I am the most worried about the transfer case and front diff. My truck has 72 thousand and I am going to make a 1500 mile trip to California next week or so.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:22 PM   #1306
Gone But Not Forgotten
ImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetman1979 View Post
Ok let me ask this on the fill of the transfer case and front diff and manual gearbox can I fill all these till it starts coming out of the fill hole? I am the most worried about the transfer case and front diff. My truck has 72 thousand and I am going to make a 1500 mile trip to California next week or so.
Put in the amount listed in your OM.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:16 PM   #1308
The dog did it...I swear!
OffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: High Desert... land of junipers, sage brush, and lava rock
OffroadToy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpulseRed008 View Post
Put in the amount listed in your OM.
Wrong^
Toyota put the fill hole at that location for a reason...you fill until it starts to drain out of the hole. The amounts given in the owners manual are the same called out in the Chiltons manual. They say the capacities called out are "approximate" and to add as necessary to bring to appropriate level.. which they say to be at the bottom of the plug opening. In addition, the Toyota Factory Service Manual calls to add as nessesary to get the level within 5mm (0 to 0.20 in.) of the bottom of the filler plug opening.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:29 AM   #1309
Thats it

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouyin2000 View Post
Which is until it comes dribbling out the fill hole... haha
Thats the answer I was hoping for fill till plug the old school way
Thanks for the clarification.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:42 AM   #1310
Good info

Quote:
Originally Posted by OffroadToy View Post
Wrong^
Toyota put the fill hole at that location for a reason...you fill until it starts to drain out of the hole. The amounts given in the owners manual are the same called out in the Chiltons manual. They say the capacities called out are "approximate" and to add as necessary to bring to appropriate level.. which they say to be at the bottom of the plug opening. In addition, the Toyota Factory Service Manual calls to add as nessesary to get the level within 5mm (0 to 0.20 in.) of the bottom of the filler plug opening.
I am new to 4x4 so I read your links you posted on 4x4 use. Very good info thanks.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:35 PM   #1311
          
skygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shed

skygear's Tacoma Gallery
I dropped my spare tire so I could sit under there and fill with the Mobile 1 75W 90 - I saw the fluid already had the LSD additive in it too.
Old 04-11-2013, 03:22 AM   #1312
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by skygear View Post
I dropped my spare tire so I could sit under there and fill with the Mobile 1 75W 90 - I saw the fluid already had the LSD additive in it too.
It DOES NOT have the additive in it.

It only means that it is compatible for LSD diffs.
Old 04-11-2013, 04:05 AM   #1313
          
skygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shed

skygear's Tacoma Gallery
Either way, I have the TRD OR so not required according to another post.
Old 04-11-2013, 04:39 AM   #1314
          

skygear's Tacoma Gallery
Thats what the "Limited Slip Modifier Included" means?

Different from this PIC from this thread... http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...nge-howto.html

Old 04-11-2013, 09:12 PM   #1316
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
It DOES NOT have the additive in it.

It only means that it is compatible for LSD diffs.
The fuck does that mean? It's compatible but doesn't have the additive in it? What? Is there a 75w-90 GL5 oil that isn't compatible (excluding additives)? Theres not a LS spec'd oil if you're not including the friction modifiers. It's the same gl5 every other diff uses but with friction modifiers.

Not only are you wrong but that doesn't even make any god damn sense.

Mobil 1 Synthetic Gear Lube LS 75W-90 contains special friction modifiers designed for limited slip-type differentials. In most applications, the addition of special LS (limited slip) additives is not required. For axles requiring the highest level of limited-slip performance, OEM specific LS additives can be added to this fluid.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:09 PM   #1317
          

skygear's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome, thats the educated answer I needed!
Old 04-13-2013, 06:06 AM   #1318
NBHNC
Rusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rusty
Rusty 06 4x4's Tacoma Gallery
sub
Old 04-13-2013, 10:42 AM   #1319
Normantaco has much to be proud ofNormantaco has much to be proud ofNormantaco has much to be proud ofNormantaco has much to be proud ofNormantaco has much to be proud ofNormantaco has much to be proud ofNormantaco has much to be proud ofNormantaco has much to be proud ofNormantaco has much to be proud ofNormantaco has much to be proud of
Normantaco's Tacoma Gallery
Cool

My truck is just about to hit 30k. Did front, rear and xfer case this morning. Thanks for the great write up. I think i found a new cologne, that stuff smells awesome. And just for good measure, How do i know if i need to add LSD additive? I kid. Just figured I'd throw that question in this thread for the 500th time.
Old 04-13-2013, 12:29 PM   #1320
Gone But Not Forgotten

Air Force:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normantaco View Post
My truck is just about to hit 30k. Did front, rear and xfer case this morning. Thanks for the great write up. I think i found a new cologne, that stuff smells awesome. And just for good measure, How do i know if i need to add LSD additive? I kid. Just figured I'd throw that question in this thread for the 500th time.
Read the first post in the thread

Products Discussed in this Thread